Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infectious Disease Poster
Sunchimes 07:36 PM 08-26-2013
I got a delivery today that surprised me. An overnight delivery van pulled up and brought this huge tube to my door. Turned out to be 2 posters from the Department of Health. One is on preventing the flu, and the other is a chart of infectious diseases. It lists 43 diseases, symptoms, cause, exclusion, etc. It's huge, 33 x 22! It's very nice, but I don't have a place for it in my little 3 child home child care, or a need. I use the site Blackcat always suggests. It was nice of them to send it, but I am baffled about why it was necessary to send it overnight delivery. That doesn't come cheap and it's still a ways until flu season.

I guess it's just another example of my tax dollars at waste.
Moppetland 07:50 AM 08-27-2013
Did you order this? Was it free? What site did you get it from? I would like to have at least the "flu" poster myself.
butterfly 08:47 AM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by Moppetland:
Did you order this? Was it free? What site did you get it from? I would like to have at least the "flu" poster myself.
me too.
Cat Herder 11:45 AM 08-27-2013
Are you a member of a National Childcare Association??

Notice how many things are now allowed to return to care after only "fever free for 24"?? You know like RSV, Viral Meningitis, HFM, Strep, Flu, Norovirus, C-Diff...

Notice the new "once treatment begins" (pink eye, ringworm) and "no restriction" (roseola, lice, bronchitis, pneumonia, mononucleosis), too....

Welcome to "Mild Illness Care". Hope you have health insurance
Sunchimes 05:40 PM 08-27-2013
I didn't order it. It appears that it is being sent to child care providers, centers, and schools from the Texas Department of State Health Services. I'll bet overnighting all of those cost some major tax dollars!

It said additional copies could be ordered online from Dept of State Health Services, Immunization Branch. For 6-30 Communicable Disease Chart and Notes for Schools and Child care centers at https://secure.immunizetexasorderform.com/default.asp

They signed the letter with "...wishing you the best for the Fall/Spring season."

CatHerder, all you listed are Fever free except Strep, which says 24 hours on antibiotics and fever free. C-Diff and roseola aren't mentioned. Didn't see norovirus either, just a general diarrhea listing. They also skipped lice. Pink eye says they can come back with permission from a doctor or local health authority and symptom free. Ringworm just says they can come back if it can be covered by clothes or bandage.

I'm not posting it or the flu one. I only have 1 or 2 families, and we have a good relationship. I don't hesitate to say yes or no, and they don't argue. If I need to look something up, it would be easier to go online to the source Blackcat suggested.
CedarCreek 06:19 PM 08-27-2013
I got them too. They are way too big to post on the wall!

I'm sending it to the school nurse
Familycare71 06:58 PM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Are you a member of a National Childcare Association??

Notice how many things are now allowed to return to care after only "fever free for 24"?? You know like RSV, Viral Meningitis, HFM, Strep, Flu, Norovirus, C-Diff...

Notice the new "once treatment begins" (pink eye, ringworm) and "no restriction" (roseola, lice, bronchitis, pneumonia, mononucleosis), too....

Welcome to "Mild Illness Care". Hope you have health insurance
Yup!!! I have noticed the changes via my pediatrician and dck Peds!! It is insane!!! I actually ordered the "parents" version of the book my kids Ped uses to base inclusion/exclusion on so I can have a heads up on if parents will be trying to return before I would let them!
Familycare71 07:00 PM 08-27-2013
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
I didn't order it. It appears that it is being sent to child care providers, centers, and schools from the Texas Department of State Health Services. I'll bet overnighting all of those cost some major tax dollars!

It said additional copies could be ordered online from Dept of State Health Services, Immunization Branch. For 6-30 Communicable Disease Chart and Notes for Schools and Child care centers at https://secure.immunizetexasorderform.com/default.asp

They signed the letter with "...wishing you the best for the Fall/Spring season."

CatHerder, all you listed are Fever free except Strep, which says 24 hours on antibiotics and fever free. C-Diff and roseola aren't mentioned. Didn't see norovirus either, just a general diarrhea listing. They also skipped lice. Pink eye says they can come back with permission from a doctor or local health authority and symptom free. Ringworm just says they can come back if it can be covered by clothes or bandage.

I'm not posting it or the flu one. I only have 1 or 2 families, and we have a good relationship. I don't hesitate to say yes or no, and they don't argue. If I need to look something up, it would be easier to go online to the source Blackcat suggested.
Which online source??
Blackcat31 07:25 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
Which online source??
I think she is referring to this one:

http://www.hennepin.us/portal/site/H...0049114689RCRD

It has print outs for the provider AND the parent that explains symptoms, causes, contagious periods and exclusion periods.

I LOVE the site and use it for ALL things illness related.
Familycare71 07:35 AM 08-28-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I think she is referring to this one:

http://www.hennepin.us/portal/site/H...0049114689RCRD

It has print outs for the provider AND the parent that explains symptoms, causes, contagious periods and exclusion periods.

I LOVE the site and use it for ALL things illness related.
Yay!! Thank you!
Tags:flu season, health department, tax and spend
Reply Up