Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Job Interview
Unregistered 10:53 AM 07-22-2014
So I just got a call for a job interview on Thursday morning. I do not have any back up coverage for that day. Dh is out of town and is the only one I have a background check on. I asked if there was another time that would be avialable, but it would be the same day just an hour or so later. I would have to leave my house at 9:45 and wouldn't be home until a little after 11 probably. Should I just send a text out to everyone now saying I am closed for the day, opening late? I would really like this interview as it would put me working only during times that my own kids were at school. Advice please
CedarCreek 11:22 AM 07-22-2014
Do your daycare parents know you are interviewing for another job?

I would call to let them know that you will be opening late. Cancelling the whole day with this short of notice for only 2 hours seems like a bit much.

However, the parents may say they cant do a late opening. In that case, do you know other providers in the area? Maybe they have open spaces for the kids that day?
Unregistered 11:27 AM 07-22-2014
They do not know. I would be opening at probably 11:15 instead of 7. I wouldn't want to open at regular time just to close at 930 and reopen at 11:15 (estimate based on what time the interview is and how long the lady said they typically take). If I closed, I would tell them it is without pay and can adjust next weeks pay. There is a lady around here that subs as a contractor, but she is full . I would just hate to miss the opportunity because I'm too scared to tell them I need to open late or close. KWIM
CedarCreek 11:30 AM 07-22-2014
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
They do not know. I would be opening at probably 11:15 instead of 7. I wouldn't want to open at regular time just to close at 930 and reopen at 11:15 (estimate based on what time the interview is and how long the lady said they typically take). If I closed, I would tell them it is without pay and can adjust next weeks pay. There is a lady around here that subs as a contractor, but she is full . I would just hate to miss the opportunity because I'm too scared to tell them I need to open late or close. KWIM
I totally understand.

I would offer first to open late and if they choose to take the day off and stay home instead, you can credit them the next week like you said. If they ask why you are opening late, blame it on the lady doctor. They usually drop it at that.
midaycare 11:38 AM 07-22-2014
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
I totally understand.

I would offer first to open late and if they choose to take the day off and stay home instead, you can credit them the next week like you said. If they ask why you are opening late, blame it on the lady doctor. They usually drop it at that.
Hilarious! And true. I've used this once or twice in my business career.
cheerfuldom 02:41 PM 07-22-2014
I would take the interview. I think you are cutting it too close though with timing. I wouldnt open till at least noon.
SignMeUp 03:52 PM 07-22-2014
Maybe this sounds awful, but lots of people would do it at a "regular job":

Just call in sick. "I'm so sorry, but I'm running a fever (also vomit and diarrhea!) and don't want to give this awful thing to all of your kids. And wouldn't it figure that this would happen while hubs is out of town?!"

Really, if you are hoping to take another job and not do childcare ...
Reply Up