Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Licensing Inspections
Gemma 10:26 AM 07-25-2018
I was just told that I will be assigned a new consultant this year, and even though they've never found any violations I don't know what to expect, and it makes me nervous!
My current consultant was pretty much in and out (checked papers, took a quick look around and left)

How long does an inspection last at your place?
Have you had different inspectors?
Is there a big difference between one inspector, and another?
Do you stay inside if they show up as you're heading outside?
Do you talk to the inspector, or just go on pretending they're not there?

I think I'm doing a pretty good job following regulations, but my interpretation of the rules may not be others
hwichlaz 11:34 AM 07-25-2018
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I was just told that I will be assigned a new consultant this year, and even though they've never found any violations I don't know what to expect, and it makes me nervous!
My current consultant was pretty much in and out (checked papers, took a quick look around and left)

I think I'm doing a pretty good job following regulations, but my interpretation of the rules may not be others
I can link you to my inspection report so you can see what was looked at if you like.

https://secure.dss.ca.gov/CareFacili...tail/173008986

I'm at a new location now (4 years) so I only have 2 reports uploaded. But you can see how long it took and what they looked at.
Meeko 12:03 PM 07-25-2018
I am in Utah. The regs are very precise and there is an easy to read manual for providers. The checklist for both announced and un-announced inspections is available for providers online. So there is no reason to be unfamiliar with them.

The inspectors are to keep to the checklist ONLY. So there is no room for their personal interpretation on anything at all. In fact we are told at trainings that if it isn't on the checklist...it isn't a reg and if an inspector ever asks or tells us something we are unsure of...we are to ask to see the reg in writing right there and then.

It makes inspections a breeze.

So it depends on your state and whether or not inspectors are allowed to add their opinion to your inspection.
BrynleeJean 12:05 PM 07-25-2018
Originally Posted by Gemma:

my inspections last 30 minutes to an hour.

i haven't had different inspectors yet

i think there is a big difference between inspectors, definitely. I think this because my inspector seems to be pickier about some things or to have her own strong opinions about somethings. i just try to appease her. Like she has opinions about like my toys and how i file my papers to make it easier for her to view things.

i always stop what I'm doing and stay in the same room as the inspector or in my great room where she can sit at the table to look at my books, even if she wants to look around my house, i stay in the great room in case she has questions and honestly to talk to her and get on her good side if possible. i know I'm in compliance for the most part or as much as possible at all times but if I'm not on good terms with my rep i feel she would write me up for something silly like one of my DCKs missing the trashcan and there being a paper towel on the floor, or you know just "fine tooth comb" my house looking for something to write me up about.

hope that helps
Gemma 01:31 PM 07-25-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I can link you to my inspection report so you can see what was looked at if you like.

https://secure.dss.ca.gov/CareFacili...tail/173008986

I'm at a new location now (4 years) so I only have 2 reports uploaded. But you can see how long it took and what they looked at.
Everything helps,thank you!
Gemma 01:36 PM 07-25-2018
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I am in Utah. The regs are very precise and there is an easy to read manual for providers. The checklist for both announced and un-announced inspections is available for providers online. So there is no reason to be unfamiliar with them.

The inspectors are to keep to the checklist ONLY. So there is no room for their personal interpretation on anything at all. In fact we are told at trainings that if it isn't on the checklist...it isn't a reg and if an inspector ever asks or tells us something we are unsure of...we are to ask to see the reg in writing right there and then.

It makes inspections a breeze.

So it depends on your state and whether or not inspectors are allowed to add their opinion to your inspection.
You're lucky, I wish it was the same here, but I doubt it!...cause my inspector questioned things that were approved in the 90 days inspection, years earlier. She didn't write a citation, but she would've if she would have been the first on site.
Gemma 01:46 PM 07-25-2018
Originally Posted by BrynleeJean:
my inspections last 30 minutes to an hour.

i haven't had different inspectors yet

i think there is a big difference between inspectors, definitely. I think this because my inspector seems to be pickier about some things or to have her own strong opinions about somethings. i just try to appease her. Like she has opinions about like my toys and how i file my papers to make it easier for her to view things.

i always stop what I'm doing and stay in the same room as the inspector or in my great room where she can sit at the table to look at my books, even if she wants to look around my house, i stay in the great room in case she has questions and honestly to talk to her and get on her good side if possible. i know I'm in compliance for the most part or as much as possible at all times but if I'm not on good terms with my rep i feel she would write me up for something silly like one of my DCKs missing the trashcan and there being a paper towel on the floor, or you know just "fine tooth comb" my house looking for something to write me up about.

hope that helps
This is exactly why I say Licensing is the worst part of this job!As if it wasn't enough to keep kids safe and parents happy, we have to worry about picky inspectors ....I'm sure we all try our best to be in compliance at all time, but lets be real, some of them rules are NOT realistic!
Tags:inspection, inspection - fast, inspections, licensing visit
Reply Up