Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Birth Certificate for Adopted DCK?
DaveA 04:19 AM 07-16-2020
In IL we have to have a copy of the child's birth certificate in our files. Foster children were allowed to have state paperwork instead of the birth certificate. I have a DCK who was just adopted by foster mom . Does anyone know what I should use in that case? Emails to DCFS haven't been answered.
Cat Herder 05:55 AM 07-16-2020
She should have it, then. The court should have already given her the original copy.

I have never heard of requiring a birth certificate for daycare.
DaveA 07:01 AM 07-16-2020
Thanks. I don’t know if she has one or not. She’s a great DCM but an amazing mix of overprepared & space cadet.

https://www.ilga.gov/commission/jcar...60000120R.html

Section b3. I was told it has something to do with the Missing & Exploited Children’s Act. I just read the next section. If the parents don’t provide a birth certificate within 30 days I’m supposed to call the police.
Cat Herder 07:05 AM 07-16-2020
That's wild. Here the required shot record does that as the responsibility falls to the physician's office instead of child care providers. When you sign on with a new ped, they need a copy of the birth cert and access to medical birth records from the hospital for their file.
Jodik 09:26 AM 07-16-2020
When we adopted my daughter, we got one pretty soon after our adoption with her new name etc. Virginia also required birth certificates too when I lived there.
flying_babyb 11:19 AM 07-16-2020
and if you dont have it by the 30 day mark in IL they can fine you. My old boss got nailed for a few kids
Unregistered 01:04 PM 07-16-2020
Is the adoption finalized? If not, there may not be a birth certificate yet. When we adopted our son (at 24 hours old), his adoption could not be finalized for at least 6 months according to state law in Ohio where we live. We did not have a birth certificate during that time, only paperwork from the agency that we were the adoptive parents.
DaveA 01:10 PM 07-16-2020
Originally Posted by flying_babyb:
and if you dont have it by the 30 day mark in IL they can fine you. My old boss got nailed for a few kids
Oh I’m missed that.

I wonder if schools have to do this. Or if we’re just the lucky ones.
Unregistered 03:18 AM 07-17-2020
When I adopted my two kids it took months to get the new birth certificates after the adoption was final. I never saw the originals and after the adoption took place the new ones came with there new names and me listed as the parent.
CenterTeacher20 10:18 AM 07-17-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
She should have it, then. The court should have already given her the original copy.

I have never heard of requiring a birth certificate for daycare.
In my state we are required to have a copy OR initial that we verified and looked at the original birth certificate during the enrollment process. Totally didn't realize that wasn't normal everywhere!
Unregistered 11:40 AM 07-17-2020
If they don't yet have a copy of the birth certificate (which is commonly processed after the court proceedings), they should have a copy of court appointed guardianship papers with a court seal (this is what foster parents have in lieu of those birth certificate).
PB&J 05:30 PM 07-17-2020
In my state we have to have a copy of the BC on the first day or they can’t attend. We were written up in violation when we had a mom who dawdled getting us a copy.

(Meant to quote BC, who operates in a state where this is not required. So, for an adoption, we would have to have documentation on Day One)
hwichlaz 12:49 PM 07-21-2020
I'd keep that foster paperwork in her file for now, until the birth certificate arrives. Every gov office is backed up right now. But the fact that she was a foster child before fulfills the intent of that law, proving she's not a missing child.
Pepperth 08:50 AM 07-22-2020
If its not finalized yet, she may not have one. It took us months. In most places, I was able to use an "affidavit of adoption" until we finally had a birth certificate.
hwichlaz 09:32 AM 07-22-2020
Originally Posted by Pepperth:
If its not finalized yet, she may not have one. It took us months. In most places, I was able to use an "affidavit of adoption" until we finally had a birth certificate.
exactly, and if there is already foster child paperwork on file....you have what you need for licensing. The child is in limbo until the BC is issued and is kind of "both" right now.
Tags:birth certificate
Reply Up