Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone Ever Try To Haggle With You?
MNMum 08:39 PM 09-15-2012
I had this woman call 3 times recently. She's a teacher, looking for care for her 2 year old when she moves here in a few weeks. Every time she calls I say, well, I'm only open 4 days. She says, oh ya, I already talked to you. After 3rd call, she calls right back and says "Maybe I can find a way to make the 4 day schedule work." I do have an opening, but wasn't really looking to fill it. She tells me she is desperate and can't find quality care. She also asks about rates, then seems unhappy with my answer! I agree to meet with her briefly today.

She arrives with 2 of her 4 kids, and another woman. Introduces everyone with 1st names. Kids play, we chat. I explain in detail my rate schedule which is similar to Nannyde's in that I charge for the amount of time needed, later pickup costs more. I have a late fee ($5 every 15 minutes), that I am strict with. She wants to pay for the earlier pickup, and use that mostly, but be able to be up to 45 minutes later, with no penalty, if traffic is bad. I hold my ground about my rates. She says, "I was paying $20 less for 5 days at old daycare." Although my small town is right next to where she lived before, everything is more expensive here, school district is top notch, and everyone wants their kids in it (and it is small, around 200 kids/class vs. 600 in neighboring cities). She likes my low ratio, my food, my no TV policy. I basically had to say, hey woman, why do you think I quit my nursing job and am doing daycare? It's difficult to find quality care, and when you do, you are going to have to pay for it!

She then blurts out, "How do you feel about there being 2 mothers?" Mind you, this other woman has said about 2 words. I'm completely fine with it, in fact, my husband was raised with 2 mothers, but the way she went about slipping it into the conversation was really uncomfortable!

Kinda hoping she chooses the other daycare. With how much she has tried to haggle with me, I don't think she'd be happy paying for my care! However, I'm really glad we discussed rates on the phone, because I was prepared to fully hold my ground on my more expensive rates and the way I handle charging parents.
cheerfuldom 08:57 PM 09-15-2012
Keep all your policies and see what happens. I am assuming you have a trial period. Give her a chance to prove that she can respect your policies and follow them even if they are not always her first choice. Sounds like someone that is just having a hard time not getting everything she is used to. I would imagine that the "two moms" issue came up because perhaps other providers were not comfortable working with her family in the past for that reason.
moshimoshi 08:42 PM 09-16-2012
I had someone ask me to pay $50 less per month because she only intended to leave the child with me 5 hours per day for two days a week. I told her that I couldn't fill the spot for the remaining hours of the day so she said ok.
Blackcat31 07:19 AM 09-17-2012
ALL the time. You can't blame people for trying though.....

I just smile and respond "Well, my policies are non-negotiable and work for me. If they don't work for you, then we can't do business. Sorry." and then I just stand my ground.

If you don't do it in the beginning, it will be twenty times harder when they have had a chance to become a "friend" to you and saying no to special requests then becomes more complicated and complex.
My3cents 10:44 AM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
ALL the time. You can't blame people for trying though.....

I just smile and respond "Well, my policies are non-negotiable and work for me. If they don't work for you, then we can't do business. Sorry." and then I just stand my ground.

If you don't do it in the beginning, it will be twenty times harder when they have had a chance to become a "friend" to you and saying no to special requests then becomes more complicated and complex.
and they do become "friends"-- how could they not. Your taking care of their most prize possession... their child. Friend or not, my business is my business. I try to make that very clear right up front. I grow to care not just about my kids but my families too. I communicate with them everyday.
DaisyMamma 11:15 AM 09-17-2012
I think its very disrespectful. You dont go into a grocery store and ask them to lower their price on a dozen eggs because they are cheaper at another grocery store

I would still give her a chance and make sure she doesn't try to take advantage.
Blackcat31 11:42 AM 09-17-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I think its very disrespectful.

You dont go into a grocery store and ask them to lower their price on a dozen eggs because they are cheaper at another grocery store
I do! We have 3 grocery stores in town and each one will price match an item if you find that one of the other stores is selling it cheaper.

I don't necessarily find it disrespectful that they ask to negotiate policies but I definitely find it disrespectful if they don't observe or follow policies AFTER I have already told them they are non-negotiable.
Reply Up