Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back Forum > Daycare and Taxes

Daycare and Taxes All things related to Taxes and running a Daycare post here. Topics of tax exemptions, forms, filings, tax write offs, IRS etc.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 12:47 PM
JeepGirl6's Avatar
JeepGirl6 JeepGirl6 is offline Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 327
Question Hiring a Tax Professional

This is my first year doing child care taxes. I am very overwelmed with this whole thing so I have been sort of putting it off but I know it is something I really need to look into. I have all of my receipts for food for the children, just have to add all of them up for my food deduction. I pay all of my bills online so I don't have any paper track of my house payment or utlities but can look up past payments online, so should I print out my previous payments to give to a tax professional? I am still trying to figure out the whole t/s thing. ( Do I need to have this already figured out for the tax professional?) I use four main rooms ( 3 are strictly daycare and one room is personal/daycare) in my home for my daycare, in addition do you count your bathroom? If I go to a tax professional I don't want them to think I am stupid for not having everything in order...Can someone tell me what all I need to take to a tax professional..... Advice on any good family child care tax professionals in Ohio? I bought Tom's Tax workbook(2009) ( Didn't realize he revised every year) and looked over a few chapters but it is out of date so I don't want to fill in the info and not even be able to use it, let alone, I find it confusing since I have never been self employed before...Do many of you get into depreciation of things such as items in your home, your house alone? I don't know if I want to deal with figuring out the whole depreciation stuff.....Also how to do you deduct the gas when you go grocery shopping? Because I don't just put gas in my vehicle to go to Giant Eagle for example, that gas is used to go other places...I didn't keep gas receipts for 2010...probably should have...Ahhh For those of you who do hire a tax professional about how much do they charge?
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:04 PM
My4SunshineGirlsNY's Avatar
My4SunshineGirlsNY My4SunshineGirlsNY is offline
Advanced Member
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: New York
Posts: 575

I HIGHLY recommend you get Tom Copeland's Family Child Care Record Keeping Guide. It has helped me understand so many deductions that I can take and once you read the book, things don't seem as overwhelming. Last year (well 2009 I mean) was my first year in Business and although I had his book, I didn't read very far as I always had a zillion things to do. But with this being my first full year in business, I thought I better get a better grip on what I can deduct.

At first the depreciation seemed so complicated but it really isn't. If you can find a way to organize your records, everything goes much more smooth. I wanted to be very organized so I bought the annual subscription to Minute Menu Kids, software program for Child Care providers. It takes a little time to browse the program and understand everything but it really is an easy program and the BEST part is, all you have to do is enter your info (attendance, receipts, addition time, ect.) and the program calculates everything for you! Your time/space percent, gas mileage, standard meal rates.

I always take the standard meal allowance and the standard mileage rate. I find it much easier as I have enough receipts for other purchases.

If you have all your receipts (get your utility payment statements from your utility company or print them from online if you can), my best recommendation is use Minute Menu has saved me from a TON of stress and keeps me VERY well organized. Good luck! Get the book and don't miss out on the deductions you are entitled to!
Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:44 PM
TomCopeland's Avatar
TomCopeland TomCopeland is offline
Business Author/Trainer
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: St. Paul, Minnesota
Posts: 3,032
Default Tax Professional

Don't worry about what to bring to your tax professional. He or she will tell you what they want. You can use the Organizer in my 2009 Tax Workbook to help you organize your records. There's a tax preparer directory at (Click on Child Care Provider). Then click on Business of Child Care. Then click on Record Keeping.
Reply With Quote

accountant, cpa

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do Any Of You Childcare Homes Use A Professional Curriculum? GotKids Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 01-19-2013 09:33 PM
Help Finding Thread On ?'S To Ask Hiring An Assistant DaycareMama Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 2 08-27-2012 10:03 PM
Hiring a Substitute EAP Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 0 08-10-2012 04:50 AM
Hiring An Assistant DancingQueen Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 13 11-22-2010 01:32 PM
Is this Professional? kpa0627 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 04-20-2010 06:58 PM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:57 PM.         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming