Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>One of my mothers day gifts for(some) dcf was extended hours today
E Daycare 05:29 AM 05-11-2012
Besides making handprint potholders and cupcake terra cotta flowers I also offered extended hours for my daycare families today. I close at 5 but extended till 8p free of charge and for their siblings too. I'll have pizza for dinner and ice cream and we'll play outside or watch a movie off of Netflix. The only catch is, I didn't extend this offer to all my families.

I have a sibling set whom I know would jump at the chance to keep them here but it includes a baby and the older sibling was left here till 5:30 the other day after being sick all day and finding out "just before I was coming to pick them up" that the child has strep.

I informed the dcf's whom I extended this offer to that all families may not have the same offer as I only so many slots open to be in regulations if their siblings stayed too.

It's unfair but after all day with them, even an extra 3hrs would probably put me in the loony bin.

Anyone else purposely excluded some of your dck just because you know your nice gesture would in turn make you homicidal?
SilverSabre25 05:38 AM 05-11-2012
Not purposely excluded so much as selectively offered...at least, that's how I think of it!

I have three dcfamilies and I have been doing a LOT to help two of them for awhile. These two have never taken advantage of me, talked down to me, left their kids late without calling/asking, etc. They both have different circumstances that make me feel really good about helping out, plus they appreciate me and tell me that frequently.

The third gets a lot less from me. They still leave their kids late and talk down to me sometimes, and put pressure on me for things that I don't appreciate being pressured (potty training their not ready daughter for one...). This one does NOT get the same amount of special from me.

And only one family have I ever offered to keep dcb overnight when they were in a bind!
temom 07:34 AM 05-11-2012
I don't think there is anything wrong with giving special treatment to some and not to other. I have a DCM that i adore, her kids are well mannered and she is a gem of a person, right now she is preggo n due in aug but her she is having some major issue and is on bed rest. Since last week i go pick up her kids, drop them home after the hubby gets home at 8 so they are with me all day, all meals.its her older kids bday n she isn't being able to shop to make his cake i am helping her do the shopping. it just depends on the relationship u have with the DCP. Specially if they treat you like an important part of their kids life and not just a BABYSITTER!!!
DCP 07:46 AM 05-11-2012
I do not see anything wrong with it either..and BTW how sweet of you to offer this!! I am sure the kids will have a blast and it gives Mommy some time!!

I have two families that have been very loyal to me, speak highly of me to everyone and NEVER break a policy or take advantage of situations. If I close unexpectedly or need a day off for something with short notice..I occasionally do not charge these two families for that time even though per their contract I can.

The other families I believe would use it against me if their kid gets sick or expect it every time I close. So I select whom is allowed to and when.

SunshineMama 07:55 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
Besides making handprint potholders and cupcake terra cotta flowers I also offered extended hours for my daycare families today. I close at 5 but extended till 8p free of charge and for their siblings too. I'll have pizza for dinner and ice cream and we'll play outside or watch a movie off of Netflix. The only catch is, I didn't extend this offer to all my families.

I have a sibling set whom I know would jump at the chance to keep them here but it includes a baby and the older sibling was left here till 5:30 the other day after being sick all day and finding out "just before I was coming to pick them up" that the child has strep.

I informed the dcf's whom I extended this offer to that all families may not have the same offer as I only so many slots open to be in regulations if their siblings stayed too.

It's unfair but after all day with them, even an extra 3hrs would probably put me in the loony bin.

Anyone else purposely excluded some of your dck just because you know your nice gesture would in turn make you homicidal?
Can I just say, you are a saint!

When I am closed I'm done! lol! Good for you for going the extra mile!!!
E Daycare 08:18 AM 05-11-2012
I told the moms I appreciate them as parents and that they were free to get dinner with their SO or even take a nap. I know it's not every chance they get some time alone at home or out besides at work so I don't mind offering up some time. They have bent over backwards to accommodate me so I wanted to return the favor.

They seem so grateful I'll have to do more "surprise extended hours" again. Not so much that they'd expect it or ask to use me as a "well she did offer it so maybe she'll do it over and over again if I ask and pay" regular odd hours sitter. Moreso because I want them to know I do value them.
E Daycare 08:19 AM 05-11-2012
Well value MOST most of them. There's always something off in a bunch.
Blackcat31 08:27 AM 05-11-2012
I say good for you!!! I would also advise you to not feel guilty. Every family comes with it's own unique set of needs and issues so offering only one family something is not a bad thing.

Sort of sounds to me that the other family already got their "special" already as they got some extra time after closing hours and shared strep with you so definitley don't feel bad!

I think it is absolutely fantastic that you offered this other family such a wonderful freebie!!
MarinaVanessa 08:32 AM 05-11-2012
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
I also offered extended hours for my daycare families today. I close at 5 but extended till 8p free of charge and for their siblings too.
I thought about doing this also but I'm in the middle of planning a wedding and I want to use all of my free time to do that (DIY wedding) instead. The only recent "bonus" that I have right now is that I'm extremely open to evening and weekend childcare right now ... the parents love it obviously because unless I have an adult only event (training, fittings etc) I always say yes ... but it's because we're paying for our own wedding.

I think that what you did was fine. I have a drop-in family that is "worst case scenario". Even my DH can't stand DCM. WHen she calls and asks for childcare I'm always "busy" or "full" but that I'll call her if something opens up . Then I wait and hope that my other Drop-in families call and fill in the days I have open. If they don't then I sometimes call her and tell her that I had a cancellation ... sometimes. So no, I don't feel that you are being unfair in any way by being selective.
Reply Up