Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Securing a Spot ... WWYD?
MsLaura529 01:15 PM 04-08-2013
Ok, so I have my very first interview in the process of being set up. Sounds like a super nice family (started off her email with congratulating me on opening up my own business, used correct grammar and spelling ). However, she isn't DUE until the end of June and has 12 weeks of maternity leave. She wants to interview sometime this week or next, and asked what would be required to secure a spot for them in September when they would need care (and it's only for 2 days a week when that time actually comes).

I haven't given this a thought before, because, well ... I just hadn't haha. WWYD as far as what would you require for her to hold her spot until then. This is the FIRST person I've had go as far as wanting to set up an interview so far. I know it's only for 2 days a week, so that might not be worth it to some of you, BUT I have only had interest from part-timers so far (although no one has gotten past the initial questions of - what are your hours, where you located, what are your rates)...

Thanks for any help!
Michael 01:56 PM 04-08-2013
Some "Holding Spot" threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=holding+spot
MsLaura529 02:04 PM 04-08-2013
Originally Posted by Michael:
Some "Holding Spot" threads: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=holding+spot
Thank you! I'm really bad about searching for my topic before posting a thread.
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:03 PM 04-08-2013
Hey just had an idea for you. You have only gotten part time phone calls so far, and I'm guessing you'd rather hold those spots for full time, right? Could you coordinate the spots so that one child comes two days that week (say Tuesday/Thursday, and another comes 3 days (say Mon/Wed/Fri)? That way you have full time pay, and a part time schedule doesn't prevent you from getting the payment of having a full time child, if a family should call.

Oh, I missed the point of your question: Holding their spot for a few months. I would require a two week deposit to hold the spot, but other than that, since you don't have others needing care yet, I wouldn't require any other payment.
Laurel 05:49 PM 04-08-2013
I also belong to another daycare forum and this question came up. I thought someone had a brilliant idea for this type of situation. I copied it and have it hanging by my phone to use if I ever get a call for someone so far in advance.

She said:

"Here's what I would do to try to be fair to prospective parents and myself."

"Thanks so much for wanting me to care for your new baby in six months. If you leave a deposit equalling one week's fees, you will have "first refusal" for my next opening. That means if I get another call from someone wanting care before then, you can choose to "enroll" right away at regular rates and the spot will be yours when your baby arrives. If you choose not to enroll in that case, your name will go at the top of my waiting list for the next opening and your deposit will be refunded in full. If you find care elsewhere, the deposit will be non-refundable."

"This way the parent can reserve the spot well in advance, but they only have to pay for it, if it means you are turning away another paying client. If the slot is empty anyway, the parent does not have to pay."

I think this is a great way to handle it. Once I held a spot for no fee for a full month and then the mom asked for 2 more weeks. I started getting nervous then but at least she did start her baby. I decided no more. I will only hold a spot for 2 weeks and then they just have to take their chances if I have a spot or not. But the above would work if you have some openings that aren't filled anyway.

Laurel
SunnyDay 05:51 PM 04-08-2013
[quote=

Oh, I missed the point of your question: Holding their spot for a few months. I would require a two week deposit to hold the spot, but other than that, since you don't have others needing care yet, I wouldn't require any other payment.[/QUOTE]

This is what I would do, too. 2 week NON-REFUNDABLE deposit.
TheGoodLife 06:57 PM 04-08-2013
I just got slammed by holding a spot for almost 5 months, then dad told me mom was going to stay home with baby ( actaully work from home with newborn) a week befor study were supposed to start. So I now tell families I will keep them informed if I have anyone ask for the spot, basically letting the expectant family have a chance to start paying for care if they want to hold it or gamble and hope there is another spot when the actually need it. I charge 1/3 rate of someone wants to hold a spot.
blandino 07:45 PM 04-08-2013
The concept of "first-refusal" has always worked well for me. That way, parents don't feel like they are being charged for an empty spot that may still be there when they need to start. And I don't feel like I am holding a spot for nothing.

Most parents seem to agree with this concept.

The only way I hold a spot, is when I know they are taking the place of a child who is leaving on a certain date. Then I will hold it with a one-week deposit and an agreed upon start date, with a written contract.
MsLaura529 03:43 AM 04-09-2013
Thank you guys. That first refusal idea is great! I think I will go with that one
TheGoodLife 07:39 AM 04-09-2013
I like the idea of the "first refusal"- I have offered this verbally, but I don't have it in my contract or a specific document about it. Does anyone have suggestions for specific wording in a contract?

TIA
CrackerJacks 09:00 PM 04-09-2013
The only way that I will "hold" a space for a family is if they pay the 2 week deposit and have all of the required documents filled out.
Tags:holding spot
Reply Up