Daycare.com Forum Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Interview Questions

Hi,
I am a new home daycare provider and am just starting to have interviews with parents, most of them pregnant. I only take in infants and toddlers.

What questions do you ask to parents in general so you can get a better feel?

What questions would you ask parents-to-be?

Even if you have doubts (not big red flags) would you still enroll them and see if it will work out over time or just not enroll them at all?

Sorry, last question! If you don't want to enroll a family, even if there is a spot available, how would you word it without being negative, when they contact you again?

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2013, 05:42 AM
Daycare.com member

Obviously, while pregnant most parents have "ideal" answers to these questions, so they might not be how things actually work out.

I ask what baby books they have read/will attempt to follow the techniques from.

I ask what kind of schedule the baby is on, to get an idea of how they feel about schedules in general.

I ask what their biggest fear/reservation is about putting their child in daycare.

I ask what the most important thing is that they are looking for in a daycare.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:47 AM
Daycare.com member

Doubts, yes. Some things I know I can work with. I can usually tell from meeting the child if it is an issue that I am going to be able to work with or something that I don't think I can curb.

I had a DCG who was 17 months and a chronic biter at her old center. Came to us, never bit a sole and was the biggest rule follower I have EVER had.

The DCM who brought 22 month old tornado boy, who she said "walked on the c counters at home because it was so funny", was a different story.

If a spot is still open, and I don't feel they are a good fit, I will say that "Although I enjoyed meeting with your family, I don't feel that your child is a good fit for my program. And to best meet the needs of your child and the children I already have in care, I think it is best not to enroll your child with me."
Old 08-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Daycare.com Member

Thanks blandino
Old 08-07-2013, 06:33 AM
Daycare.com Member

There never is a last question! Lol the awesome thing about this forum is that there is always someone to answer them

It is hard when you first start - you'll get better at getting a feeling about parents and the kids. Also what your willing to work with...
I agree with PP- pregnant first time moms are really hard to read because even they don't know how they will really be.
Personally I try to keep the interview informative and professional while still keeping it relaxed. I find that I receive more information that way. When people are "chatting" they are more relaxed with information.
Good luck with the start of your program !
Old 08-07-2013, 07:19 AM
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer

I have a two part series on interviewing.

http://www.daycare.com/nannyde/inter...nyde-style.htm

Tags
interview questions