Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Snow Closing Tomorrow, Parent Challenging Me...Advice Please?
MCC 03:20 PM 12-08-2013
Two parents have texted me asking if we are open tomorrow. I sent out a text to all of them stating that If my assistant is not able to make it in tomorrow, we will have to close at 11:30 in order to stay within ratios. I also said that if County Schools close, we will close for the day.

Everyone said "okay" except one parent. The same parent that kept their child home last week b/c she didn't approve of the sub I hired to help my assistant while I was at an appointment.

She is challenging me closing b/c of coverage, rather than b/c of weather. I told her my assistant can't come in b/c of the weather. All local centers are closed for this same reason, and we also need to make sure an ambulance can get here if need be. I am pretty angry about this. Last week I hired a sub, and she was pissed, now I don't have a sub come in, and she is pissed. I can't win with her.

I want to remind her that as discussed in our interview, home daycares sometimes have to close for reasons a center doesn't (me being sick, coverage etc). This is a risk you take when enrolling in a small home daycare, yes? It's also one of the reasons home daycare is 1/3 of the price of a center, yes?

What should I say to her? Other than "Here is your notice?", which isn't out off the table...
Maria2013 03:28 PM 12-08-2013
I truly dislike when parents challenge the provider's decision, I'd get rid of her!
...I would have closed for the day, I would not risk going out of ratio cause parents fail to pick up on time
MCC 03:33 PM 12-08-2013
Originally Posted by Maria2013:
I truly dislike when parents challenge the provider's decision, I'd get rid of her!
...I would have closed for the day, I would not risk going out of ratio cause parents fail to pick up on time
Oh, there is no way I would go over ratios, ever. Lol I JUST got my license, on Friday.
Maria2013 03:39 PM 12-08-2013
congratulations
Laurel 03:58 PM 12-08-2013
Originally Posted by MCC:
Two parents have texted me asking if we are open tomorrow. I sent out a text to all of them stating that If my assistant is not able to make it in tomorrow, we will have to close at 11:30 in order to stay within ratios. I also said that if County Schools close, we will close for the day.

Everyone said "okay" except one parent. The same parent that kept their child home last week b/c she didn't approve of the sub I hired to help my assistant while I was at an appointment.

She is challenging me closing b/c of coverage, rather than b/c of weather. I told her my assistant can't come in b/c of the weather. All local centers are closed for this same reason, and we also need to make sure an ambulance can get here if need be. I am pretty angry about this. Last week I hired a sub, and she was pissed, now I don't have a sub come in, and she is pissed. I can't win with her.

I want to remind her that as discussed in our interview, home daycares sometimes have to close for reasons a center doesn't (me being sick, coverage etc). This is a risk you take when enrolling in a small home daycare, yes? It's also one of the reasons home daycare is 1/3 of the price of a center, yes?

What should I say to her? Other than "Here is your notice?", which isn't out off the table...
Maybe just say "I will let you know as soon as I know if my assistant can make it or not. If not, I will be closing at 11:30, thanks."

Laurel
Lucy 04:15 PM 12-08-2013

I wouldn't have even given her gripe any power. If I sent a text saying we'd have to close due to weather related problems and someone sent back a text trying to fight me on my decision, I'd either not text back at all, (I mean, you've already done your duty by telling her you'll have to close, so why engage her in a power struggle?) OR - I'd text back saying, "Mother Nature says she's sorry". Because, really, it's not YOUR fault, it's the weather's fault, right?

My philosophy, whenever possible, is to not make THEIR problems MINE. I do admit to feeling guilty when I do stuff that I know they won't like, but I try to keep this philosophy in mind
crazydaycarelady 04:27 PM 12-08-2013
We have only had this situation once and I stayed open. A lot of people called off anyway, but since they called off and not me, I still got paid.

Seriously, I'd get rid of that dcm. Why put up with a thorn in your side if you don't have to?
heyhun77 04:40 PM 12-08-2013
If schools are closing and roads are not 100% passable is she even working? I do have a couple of dcp that work weather-related jobs so they ARE actually working and have asked what my weather-closure policy is (which is I live at work so I'm here if they can get to me AND actually are working). The only time I've ever had to close for weather was actually just a late start because I had to use the snow blower to at least make a path and between the amount of snow that actually came down and the strength of the wind I had to get through drifts that were at least 2 feet deep in spots. I can usually handle snow blowing before my kiddos arrive but I'm not THAT good. Everyone understood since even school was 2 hours late and I was just delaying by an hour.

I'd say that between last week's issue and now this she is probably looking for ways to get out of her contract. She's nit-picking and I wouldn't go for it. Sucks to lose a family but you'll have to decide if you want to have this continue or move on with your life AND less stress.
Naptime yet? 04:46 PM 12-08-2013
Tell her the same sub she didn't approve of last week will be in to sub for your assistant tomorrow
Lorri 04:59 PM 12-08-2013
You can not go over your number. Sure. The state might not show up but what is to say this woman won't report you.
MCC 05:22 PM 12-08-2013
Originally Posted by Naptime yet?:
Tell her the same sub she didn't approve of last week will be in to sub for your assistant tomorrow
That is what I wanted to say, but my H said that was a little passive aggressive.

I ended up texting her and saying that recently we have been having some conflicts, and I would like to set up some time to work through her questions and concerns, and then we will decide if we are a good fit.

Her response was "Oh, I really don't think we have a conflict here, I just needed an explanation"... now that she thinks her spot is in jeopardy, she's back peddling.

She only started 4 weeks ago, her son is 12 weeks now, so she is a first time, brand new mom, and I'm not sure any provider is going to meet her expectations, I think they need a nanny.
thetoddlerwhisper 05:43 PM 12-08-2013
exactly what i would say
itlw8 05:46 PM 12-08-2013
2 hour later start for when it is so deep you need a snow blower??? Here they cancel school if there is 2 inches of snow The roads have to be passable for snow routes by 6 am

Not safe for buses but work does not close. unless there is 2 inches of ice or 12 inches of snow. We are very hilly here and lots of school buses.
SunnyDay 05:57 PM 12-08-2013
In the future I would not discuss your reasoning with her. Either make it your policy to close when schools are closed, or make it your policy to close at your discretion, but don't get into a debate about it.

Here in MI work doesn't shut down for anything, so I would be a little confused about why your assistant couldn't make it, too, but I know other states are not so prepared for the snow
Naptime yet? 06:09 PM 12-08-2013
Ahhhhh, new parent syndrome, understandable. You are a wonderful provider, willing to explain to her what daycare is all about. Passive aggressive is my middle name because I'm a wimp. I have a new parent who's husband freaked out because I was going to give their child puffs (with permission from mom) before they did. I said if he takes his first steps here I won't tell.
crazydaycarelady 06:36 PM 12-08-2013
She was worried about a male sub when her child is a 12week old boy?
Annalee 07:07 PM 12-08-2013

Sounds like dcm is having an "authority" problem... your dc, your rules, be non-negotiable with them...if she bucks the system and wins this time, she will continue to do so.
TheGoodLife 07:35 PM 12-08-2013
It sounds to me like she was hoping you'd agree to watch her baby while closing early for everyone else (you'd still be in ratio with just 1). Hope things work out and she realizes that her spot is not a guarantee if she keeps acting like that!
MCC 07:54 PM 12-08-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
She was worried about a male sub when her child is a 12week old boy?

I'm not the one that had the male sub. It was a old clients nanny, who is now our cleaning lady, and is listed with licensing as my sub.
MCC 07:59 PM 12-08-2013
Originally Posted by SunnyDay:
In the future I would not discuss your reasoning with her. Either make it your policy to close when schools are closed, or make it your policy to close at your discretion, but don't get into a debate about it.

Here in MI work doesn't shut down for anything, so I would be a little confused about why your assistant couldn't make it, too, but I know other states are not so prepared for the snow
I'm in DC, we are not very prepared for snow. They did salt the roads last night, and they're doing a pretty good job on main roads, but schools close pretty quickly for snow.

I would have preferred to not discuss my reasoning with her, but she asked, I engaged. I guess I should have just ignored the text.
MCC 08:00 PM 12-08-2013
Originally Posted by Mama2Bella:
It sounds to me like she was hoping you'd agree to watch her baby while closing early for everyone else (you'd still be in ratio with just 1). Hope things work out and she realizes that her spot is not a guarantee if she keeps acting like that!
This is exactly what she was hoping. She even asked "Is the whole DC closed, or just for my son"
Maria2013 08:01 PM 12-08-2013

SSWonders 08:10 PM 12-08-2013

Cradle2crayons 09:18 PM 12-08-2013
If it snows here they close the entire state down just to watch the snow

Ice.....well that's a different thing.

If the weather here says the "I" word or the "S" word, every supermarket would be stampeded and the governor declares a state of emergency pmsl!!!

Schools here close for everything. Tornadoes, hurricanes, ice, snow, the threat or remote possibility of any of the above. With most everyone here living so rural, there's nothing salt or a snow blower can do to get us out of the woods if the weather is bad. Not to mention our state simply doesn't keep equipment on standbye to clear roads anyway.

My driveway is 300 yards long. Right before you get to my house is a greater than 45 degree grade. All I have to say is if they can GET to my house, they are welcome to it lol. And this time of the year is a bad icing time of the year. It can ice and snow all it wants.... As long as on January 25th it's decent because my then barely 11 year old daughter is running her first marathon the day after her birthday and I'm dreading the cold mixed with her asthma. Here is the program she's in... I hope it's okay to put is here... If not a mod can delete it.... http://m.minimermaidrunningclub.org/#!Home|home_page

And this is the actual race she's going to run..... http://www.msracetiming.com/Hot_Chocolate.php
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:21 AM 12-09-2013
I guess I am perplexed at the you are closing at 11:30. Does another family arrive then that puts you over ratio? Why wouldn't you simply tell that family they cannot come that day instead of closing?
I have 3 families that share spots (long complicated explanation, they all have 2 kids. One family needs tues and wed this year. One family dad does shift work so generally 3-4 days per week. Last family originally was around tue/ wed family and grandma takes them but with shift family now they generally get 4 days just rotates day off between the tues and wed) Now, in my brain I have a hierarchy of who gets which spots. I have the one family that I will tell sorry I can't have them on _________ this week. Do you have a plan if the assistant is sick? Do you cancel totally or take part of them? Do you refund if you close?
I guess that is what puzzles me. How would closing at 11:30 work for any of your parents? And did they all realize that was the senerio when they signed on. "If my assistant can't make it here, then I will cancel care mid day"
Not trying to "stir the pot" just a little befuddled on how that works.
snbauser 05:48 AM 12-09-2013
Some parents question everything. I would just make sure going forward that it is very clear as to when you are closed. I decided a long time ago that I wasn't dealing with parents questioning whether the roads were "good enough" or not. So I took the decision out of my hands and now tell them I follow our local school system. If they delay, I am delayed. If they close, I'm closed. If they decide it isn't safe enough to be out on the roads, I don't want parents bringing their kids out on those roads. Too many of them would do it just so they could have the day to themselves.
cheerfuldom 06:13 AM 12-09-2013
I would just make it clear that I am not explaining or justifying any rules and that every time she questions me, it damages our relationship and makes me feel that she does not trust my judgement to make business decisions. Either she can accept the rules, no negotiations or explanations needed, or she can look elsewhere for daycare, period.
heyhun77 07:42 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
2 hour later start for when it is so deep you need a snow blower??? Here they cancel school if there is 2 inches of snow The roads have to be passable for snow routes by 6 am

Not safe for buses but work does not close. unless there is 2 inches of ice or 12 inches of snow. We are very hilly here and lots of school buses.
We are hearty here in the Midwest. We almost never have late starts here for snow and by the end of winter we will have piles so tall you can't see around the corners. The kids are already loving the snow hill the plows make when they clear the school parking lot.
Heidi 08:17 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
I would just make it clear that I am not explaining or justifying any rules and that every time she questions me, it damages our relationship and makes me feel that she does not trust my judgement to make business decisions. Either she can accept the rules, no negotiations or explanations needed, or she can look elsewhere for daycare, period.
Yep..

Although, I'm one that doesn't understand a home daycare closing for snow days. If they can get here, that's their concern, not mine. I'm here anyway.

Now, in a center where you have employees that have to travel to work, it'd be different. I guess that's OP's case, because although she's a FCC, she has an assistant for ratios.
daycarediva 10:35 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Yep..

Although, I'm one that doesn't understand a home daycare closing for snow days. If they can get here, that's their concern, not mine. I'm here anyway.

Now, in a center where you have employees that have to travel to work, it'd be different. I guess that's OP's case, because although she's a FCC, she has an assistant for ratios.
I close in a state of emergency. Simply because if there IS an emergency, it will take a LONG time to get emergency services (police/fire/ambulance) or parent pick ups in case of power outage.

op- if it's in your contract that you close when schools close, I would close (not early, just close) and leave it at that. It always goes back to contract.
melilley 10:47 AM 12-09-2013
I was thinking the same thing!
Play Care 10:51 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I close in a state of emergency. Simply because if there IS an emergency, it will take a LONG time to get emergency services (police/fire/ambulance) or parent pick ups in case of power outage.

op- if it's in your contract that you close when schools close, I would close (not early, just close) and leave it at that. It always goes back to contract.
This is my policy as well. The year I opened we had the Valentines Day storm. I had one dck come in, start vomiting and no one could come get her. That was my ah-ha moment. It's not enough for them to get to me, they have to be able to pick up on time as well
itlw8 10:51 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I guess I am perplexed at the you are closing at 11:30. Does another family arrive then that puts you over ratio? Why wouldn't you simply tell that family they cannot come that day instead of closing?
I have 3 families that share spots (long complicated explanation, they all have 2 kids. One family needs tues and wed this year. One family dad does shift work so generally 3-4 days per week. Last family originally was around tue/ wed family and grandma takes them but with shift family now they generally get 4 days just rotates day off between the tues and wed) Now, in my brain I have a hierarchy of who gets which spots. I have the one family that I will tell sorry I can't have them on _________ this week. Do you have a plan if the assistant is sick? Do you cancel totally or take part of them? Do you refund if you close?
I guess that is what puzzles me. How would closing at 11:30 work for any of your parents? And did they all realize that was the senerio when they signed on. "If my assistant can't make it here, then I will cancel care mid day"
Not trying to "stir the pot" just a little befuddled on how that works.
I was wondering that also as the roads should be getting better by then... but then if the child come is at noon then that makes sense the assistant comes for her child. But is someone else stayed home in the morning there would be room ??? I can see where it would be confusing to a parent come in the morning but you will have to leave before noon . I would ask why also.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:02 AM 12-09-2013
Snow levels- I have a mother that is a Level 3 emergency employee so she would still have to go to work. Generally, her dh would stay home. But, if I had her and if the weather got too bad for her to come get her, I would keep her.. at least until I could take her the 2 blocks to Grandma's house
At level 2 most of my parents keep their kidlets home if at all possible.
itlw8 11:20 AM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by heyhun77:
We are hearty here in the Midwest. We almost never have late starts here for snow and by the end of winter we will have piles so tall you can't see around the corners. The kids are already loving the snow hill the plows make when they clear the school parking lot.
funny those if us here
in the Mid west think you are Northern states LOL
MCC 01:17 PM 12-09-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I was wondering that also as the roads should be getting better by then... but then if the child come is at noon then that makes sense the assistant comes for her child. But is someone else stayed home in the morning there would be room ??? I can see where it would be confusing to a parent come in the morning but you will have to leave before noon . I would ask why also.
My husband is here until 11:30, and then has to be in school. His school only delayed 2 hours, so he still had to be in.

I offered to stay open until 11:30 b/c parents can run in and grab what they need to work from home. All of my parents are able to work from home if need be.

I was going to just say "I need one person to stay home, any volunteers? But if no one offered, then I would have had to pick.
Tags:closed from snow, closing due to weather
Reply Up