Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mom Drops Him Off Still in Pajamas
Unregistered 11:21 AM 01-19-2010
I've had a home daycare for 5 years now. I've been watching a 1 year old boy for about 6 months. Every morning his mom drops him off, still in his pajamas! (Around 8 a.m.) She has a change of clothes in the bag for him. Even when she drops him off later, he is still in his pj's!
Up until now, I have been getting him dressed every morning. But now I am just so frustrated about this! She obviously changes his diaper in the morning, so why not change his clothes too? None of my other kids ever come in their pj's! They are always dressed and ready for the day!

What would you do?
Chickenhauler 11:41 PM 01-19-2010
If it really bothers you, try this.

Talk to the mother about it.
Unregistered 04:43 AM 01-20-2010
if it really bothers you, i would bring it up with mom. simply tell her you require that all children are dressed and ready for the day. changing clothes never really bothered me, but a dirty diaper would. they definetly need to have a clean diaper on at drop off!
Persephone 05:07 AM 01-20-2010
Originally Posted by Chickenhauler:
If it really bothers you, try this.

Talk to the mother about it.
I agree, have you talked to the mother about this. You should have said something right away about it, when it first started.

When I worked at a center, we had a mother like this. She wanted to bring her 2 year old in her PJ every day. The second time she done it we just flat out told her that her child needed to be ready in the morning when she got there. We were not able to watch the other children and get her child dresses. No other child came in like that.

To me it's just the parents wanting to get off easy and not have to deal with a fight in the morning with their child.
Unregistered 05:26 AM 01-20-2010
I actually have it in my policy handbook book that the child has to be dropped off clean and dressed for the day and if the child is still in diapers they have to have a fresh diaper on, that means if their lil darling poo's in the car on the way to daycare THEY have to come in and change them before leaving the child...When i first implemented this i put notices up on my door then added it to my handbook,i was having issues with parents and now i dont. I still have kids come in pj's but the parents ask first and they are school agers that get here at 5am so i dont mind them getting dressed later..I would first tell mom verbally that she needs to start dressing him in the mornings then follow up with a notice in your daycare.
~Kiddiecare~
gbcc 06:23 AM 01-20-2010
Personally, I don't see the big deal. I have had babies come in PJ's before and just change them after breakfast or at first diaper change whichever comes first. Maybe the child doesn't wake up until right before they leave. If I had a choice of a cranking crying baby(because they got woken up) or changing pj's I'd go with the pj's.
DBug 06:33 AM 01-20-2010
If you're the non-confrontational type (like me), why not just leave him in his pj's for the day, and tell mom you just didn't have the time to get him dressed? It may take several days for her to get it, but it would make the point.

Personally, my day is too busy to get kids dressed in the morning. I really wouldn't have time!
Persephone 07:20 AM 01-20-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
If you're the non-confrontational type (like me), why not just leave him in his pj's for the day, and tell mom you just didn't have the time to get him dressed? It may take several days for her to get it, but it would make the point.

Personally, my day is too busy to get kids dressed in the morning. I really wouldn't have time!
This would work too. But then if the mom doesn't care. I know for a short time I used a sitter for my son, the lady whose son was about 2 would just leave him in his PJ's all day. At the end of the day he would still be in his footed pjs or sometimes in nothing but a diaper. So some people don't care.
Unregistered 07:42 AM 01-20-2010
my own 7 yr old (when home from school) stays in his pj's all day. i dont care, as long as he has something on his feet, like slippers, just in case we ever had to evacuate. the other parents get a kick out of him, as he wears very silly pj's. he would think nothing of wearing pink bunny feety pj's, (of course thats ANOTHER thread...lol). if they want to sit in pjs all day, so be it. as long as its weather appropriate, cause they will go outside in them to play. if the parents dont care, neither do i.
Unregistered 12:45 PM 01-20-2010
I put out a monthly newsletter so I can express these issues openly without having to do it individually and insulting anybody. I put it in a reminder style. I also have an handbook.
gbcc 01:40 PM 01-20-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I put out a monthly newsletter so I can express these issues openly without having to do it individually and insulting anybody. I put it in a reminder style. I also have an handbook.
That's so funny bc I have a newsletter where I do stuff like that as well! My parents never think it applies to them though. For instance I serve breakfast at 7:30am. If they want their children to have breakfast they need to be here by then. One mom brings her child everyday at 8am when they get on the bus at 8:15 and expects her to have breakfast. I put in my newsletter a reminder that they need to be here by 7:30 to have breakfast. This mom comes in and said "I like how you put that in the newsletter about breakfast! You must be having a problem with parents coming late huh!" She was totally clueless it was for her! Lol, some people!
momma2girls 03:08 PM 01-20-2010
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
THis is a great idea!! What do you all put in there? Do other daycare providers put out a monthly news letter? If so what do you all include???
gbcc 04:13 PM 01-20-2010
Originally Posted by Iowa daycare:
THis is a great idea!! What do you all put in there? Do other daycare providers put out a monthly news letter? If so what do you all include???
I do mine in 2 column form.
On one side I have
Birthdays
Welcome New Friends
Reminders (days off school, 1/2 days, days I'm closed ect.)

In the second column I have
Circle Time Theme
Field Trips
New Info (sometimes there is none but just changes, new things I ad)
Family Recipes (just quick non-cooking things they can do together)
Former Teacher 05:14 PM 01-20-2010
I actually remember 2 instances of kiddos not wearing pajamas. Once there was a 3 1/2 year old boy, still in diapers, who would come in his pjs around 7ish. Mom expected me to change his overnight diaper and put his daily clothes on. Well since he was usually the first one and all I didn't mind. What I did mind was the fact that the mother would hover over me while I did it. How we put a stop to it was when we had a change in staff scheduling. I explained to the girl who took my place about changing the boy. She flat out refused. She claimed she had a back injury and she would not do it (yet she changed the other kids).

Anyway the following day, the boy came in a little later I happened to be there hiding so she didnt see me. Still in pjs and an overnight diaper. Mom explained to the girl that the boy needed to have his diaper changed and his clothes. The girl said sorry I have a back injury so if he needs to be changed she needs to do it herself. Surprisingly mom did it. Next day she pulled the same thing! Once again the caregiver said with a smile "same back injury" So the mother started to bring in the boy already to go.

The other boy was when he was still in his pjs but a clean diaper. The father would bring him in all hours still in pjs. He was 2 years old. He was just lazy. We told him that since he was in the "learning" rooms he needed to be ready to learn. He actually argued with us because the babies were coming in their pjs haha. We just explained to him that our policy stated only infants may be brought in night clothes, not children over the age of 1
Unregistered 02:14 PM 01-22-2010
Wow! Really, this bothers you this much! He's a little kid, just waking up. Have you ever thought that maybe mom just wants him to be comfy and feel like he's "at home" in your house? Which he obviously isn't... I thought it sounded like a great way to transition into the day. Is it really that difficult for you to feed him breakfast in his jammies and then have him get dressed afterwards? Did it ever occur to you that maybe this is also his schedule of how things run at home? Do you require your own children to get dressed on the weekends before you will feed them breakfast also?
Unregistered 09:00 PM 01-22-2010
For me this isn't an issue. In fact, I even list this as an amnity. I tell parent's that they can drop their children off at my daycare in pajamas as long as they provide clean clothes, hairbrush, even toothbrushes and I'll take care of it. It all depends on you as a provider.

My daycare parents like this feature (although only two parents actually bring them in PJ's and that's because they drop off at 6am) because it makes things easier for them. They can get to work and not have to hurry to get them dressed. Once the kids get here they lay down anyway and around 7am I help them dress (they are 3 and 4), but that's just me. If you don't want to hassle with this then just talk to the parent. The newsletter is a great idea but as they stated before, the parent you're trying to reach often doesn't think it's them you're talking about. Talking directly to the parent is better. I find that the parent may not have even thought of this as an issue. Maybe at their last daycare this was the norm. Once you communicate your concerns and the parent still doesn't cooperate then consider telling them that you won't accept their child like this anymore.
mamajennleigh 07:25 AM 01-23-2010
I have a mom who brings both of her littles in pjs in the morning. I only have them two days a week and their regular caregiver lives right next door to them, so they always go to her house in pjs and stay that way until after breakfast. It doesn't really bother me because I know it's what they are used to so I am okay with helping them keep their routine the same at both houses. I usually just line all the littles up and change them assembly-line style LOL!
momma2girls 09:18 AM 01-23-2010
Before I quit to do daycare, we would always dress our little girl!! THere is no way I would have ever expected our daycare provider to dress them!!! That is too much to ask for. We also had her at the daycare by 6:00 am every am. It wasn't easy dressing her at that time, but we did every am!! I have never had a problem with this as I have done daycare for over 5 yrs. now, but I guess there is always a first, like everything else!! LOL!!!!
Unregistered 02:14 AM 01-24-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:

This is exactly what I did. I had a very young mother of a 1-yr old and she would constantly bring him in pj's at like 8:30-9:00 am. She'd say that there's a change of clothes in his bag. He was picked up by 12:00 or 12:30 pm, so I'd just leave him in the pj's. It took about 2-3 weeks for her to catch on, but he's never come in pj's since. To me, it's just the idea. It's laziness on the part of the parent. He's YOUR kid, it's YOUR responsibility to get him dressed for the day. I also hate when someone comes at 8:00 or later and says their kid hasn't had breakfast yet. Ya know what? Get up 30 min earlier and feed your kid breakfast!!!
Tags:handbook, newsletter, pajamas
Reply Up