Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>2016/2017 Xmas/New Years - What Are You Doing?
Crazy8 11:57 AM 10-25-2016
I know this comes up every few years but don't know if this has been asked yet about this year.... Xmas Eve and Xmas Day and NY Eve & NY Day fall on weekends this year. Those are 4 of my 9 paid holidays for the year. Boo!!

What is everyone doing for them? I think I am taking both Mondays, Dec. 26th and Jan. 2nd. I am already off Fridays so don't need to take those but thought of maybe just closing Dec 26-29th (4 days) instead of taking the 2 Mondays but that's not how my contract is worded so not sure how parents will feel about it.
midaycare 12:15 PM 10-25-2016
I'm taking the week between Christmas and New Years off.

I hand out a vacation schedule in January, so parents have plenty of time to find accommodations.
Denali 12:22 PM 10-25-2016
I'm closed from December 12th - 23rd for our family vacantion. It's been a long time...

We are going to Disneyland and have been planning this vacation for a year. I'm not charging for this closure and every family has been given a year to prepare, made I've made it very very known to our 2 new families before they signed up, they all told me they are prepared for the closure. we'll see. I just reminded them again and one family (my one military family) seemed confused about the fact that I'm actually CLOSED during my family vacation. "So who's going to be running the daycare while your gone...? Are you going to be open your normal hours?" 🙄
"No DCM. Daycare is closed during those days. You either need to take time off work or make sure to have other care lined up." we talked about this in August, almost same convo...

I'm closed the 26th observing Christmas. I'm always closed the day after Christmas anyway. 24th-26th are paid holidays for me. I was also going to close Friday and that following Monday, observing New Year's Eve and New Year's Day, but we don't really do anything for those holidays, so I'm open since it would be a little much after being closed for 2-weeks and a day. 😁
Controlled Chaos 01:30 PM 10-25-2016
This year I am closed the Friday before and the Monday after. So a nice 4 day weekend

I am considering taking the week off between Christmas and New Year in 2017...we'll see. It would be lovely and I have will have 2 of my 3 kids in school by then, so I may want extra time with them...hmmm

If you are already closed Mondays, maybe take Thursday off too?
jenboo 01:31 PM 10-25-2016
Usually i take the whole week off. This year I'm just doing the Mondays after as paid holidays.
I have in my contract that if a holiday lands on a weekend, it will be observed the Friday before or Monday after.
nanglgrl 02:31 PM 10-25-2016
I'm taking the 26th-30th off paid. I usually take Christmas Eve, Christmas, the day after Christmas, New Years eve and New Year's Day off paid but since that all falls on weekends this year except the day after Christmas I switched the days (as allowed per my contract).
NeedaVaca 05:41 AM 10-26-2016
I take 2 weeks off using paid vacation days mixed with the paid holidays. Paid Holidays will be observed on Fri and Mon. Next year I'm not sure yet due to the way the dates are. I will probably use the Christmas Eve on Tuesday since I already have Monday off for Christmas Day.
Blackcat31 06:25 AM 10-26-2016
I usually take off the week between Christmas and New Years.

Sometimes I switch it up and take off a few days before or after the weekend and have a long weekend or two.

My families all pay the same weekly rate 52 weeks a year so all of it's paid either way.
Josiegirl 10:55 AM 10-27-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
Usually i take the whole week off. This year I'm just doing the Mondays after as paid holidays.
I have in my contract that if a holiday lands on a weekend, it will be observed the Friday before or Monday after.
I have this in my policies as well, but I notified all my dcps a couple of months ago that I'm closed that Friday before, straight through and reopening Jan. 2. They know I have 2 dds that travel home for a Christmas vacation. If I'm extremely lucky I see them each 2x a year so I'm now willing to take a week off during the holidays so I can be with them and not a house full of kids.
Boymom 01:41 PM 10-27-2016
I'm closed on the 23rd for Christmas Eve and the 26th for Christmas. And then I'm closing at 1:00 on the 30th and I'm closed on Jan 2nd. Hallelujah! Bring on the holidays!!!
BumbleBee 04:12 AM 10-27-2016
Closed dec 26th-dec 30th. Reopening jan 2nd. I always take the week between christmas and new years. I also take a week off in July, usually it coincides with the 4th.

Since I had to close for a week while I was sick, I had a family suggest I stay open between Christmas and New Year's. Nope, still taking the week off.

None of my time off is paid.
lovemydaycare0912 06:21 AM 10-27-2016
Closing early the Friday before Christmas eve and new years eve. Closed the Monday after Christmas and new years day. Now if any of my parents actually remember is another thing. If I was thinking I would have just taken the week I'm between off but too late now. Maybe next year. Those days are all paid.
Snowmom 06:31 AM 10-27-2016
The way I word my contract for paid holidays:

"(Business Name) will normally be closed for the observance of the following holidays: New Year's Day, President’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, 4th of July (2 days), Labor Day, Thanksgiving (2 days), Christmas (2 days) and New Year’s Eve. Exact dates will be posted annually & federally observed dates may be applicable when dates fall on the weekend. Payment for these holidays is expected for all families in attendance of 3 or more days per week. If your final two-week notice is 14 days before a holiday, payment is still required for that holiday."
Heart12 10:24 AM 10-27-2016
I'm taking off the December 26th- January 2nd. All paid of course
Heart12 10:51 AM 10-27-2016
Boymom 01:41 PM 10-27-2016
Originally Posted by Heart12:
I'm going to have to add this to my contract next year :-)
Boymom 01:44 PM 10-27-2016
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
Closed dec 26th-dec 30th. Reopening jan 2nd. I always take the week between christmas and new years. I also take a week off in July, usually it coincides with the 4th.

Since I had to close for a week while I was sick, I had a family suggest I stay open between Christmas and New Year's. Nope, still taking the week off.

None of my time off is paid.
WOW I can't believe they asked you to work on your vacation just because you were sick another time. How rude!!!
Febby 03:58 PM 10-27-2016
My center will not be closing at all during those times. We're normally open Christmas Eve and New Years Eve anyway. We barely have any kids during the school district's winter break. I think last year we were at about 50% capacity during that time (and enrollment is always about 100%).
AmyKidsCo 04:03 PM 10-27-2016
I'm closed Dec 23-Jan 2. My policies say I close for Winter Break between Christmas and New Year, and if a holiday falls on a weekend I close the previous Friday or following Monday. I started posting those closing dates in August so parents will have had plenty of notice when December comes.
CityGarden 07:36 PM 10-27-2016
I plan to follow the school calendar so would be closed two weeks that said, if I did not follow the school calendar, I would likely follow the banks and I think they observe the day after.
Tags:christmas, new years
Reply Up