Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pinworms? ( I Am A Registered User)
Unregistered 02:36 PM 01-26-2011
I am a registered user but didn't want to be embarrassed by this situation. So I had mother call me today and tell me her husband came down with pinworms on Monday and now her 2 year old just came down with it today. Look up Pinworms on google...(worms that live in the anal area)..very disgusting, I got so sick to my stomach when I was reading the information about it. My question is how do I tell all of the parents about this boy having it? I know I need to inform them so they are aware that some of their children were on contact with him...( I bleached/lysoled EVERYTHING after I got off the phone with the mother) I just hope parents decided to not bring their children because then I am out the money... It is something that can be contagious for 2 months and some people don't even know they have it...Ahh I am just sooo frustrated with this situation...Then also the mother said she really wanted me to tell all the parents just in case on the parents are bringing their child and not telling me their child has it...?? I felt she was blaming on it on another child in my care and no other child has been itching or anything.. I have been cleaning my house since the children left...I have never heard of pinworm before, I am so grossed out...I guess you can come down with it by eathing at resturants from cooks have worm eggs under their nails..what to do..what to do...
DCMomOf3 02:46 PM 01-26-2011
can you find a fact sheet on it to print off for the parents with a note that says 'your child may have been exposed. This is for your information." and leave the childs name out of it? if Someone asks say it's confidential.
Cat Herder 02:57 PM 01-26-2011
Sorry hun, the incubation period is one to two months. Everyone has already been exposed...and it is contagious indefinately until the adult female living in the gut is killed.

I would just let them know a child (I would not not tell them which one) has it and that they may want to read up on it.

It is very common and relatively harmless in kids. I know that does not make you feel any better though

Wanted to let you know that the treatment is really easy. Just two doses, per child, 2 weeks apart. It is recommended that you treat EVERYONE in the house to keep from having to do it again in a few weeks. Reinfestation is also very common.
Unregistered 02:59 PM 01-26-2011
http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseas...fact_sheet.pdf

http://www.edcp.org/pdf_factsheets/Pinworm.pdf

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...fact_sheet_pdf
SilverSabre25 03:00 PM 01-26-2011
ick.

What the pps said...print of info, keep in confidential, just alert parents to the exposure.
Michael 05:15 PM 01-26-2011
Another thread on pinworms: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12501
Unregistered 06:28 PM 01-26-2011
Is it okay to take the OTC medication even if the children or I don't have it yet? Will taking the medication prevent the children and I from getting it? Should I recommend the OTC medication to the parents?

I went to Walmart pharmacy tonight to try to get the OTC medication just so it is in my system, but the pharmacy was closed so I could not get it.

I am so worried the parents are going to be upset with me, like my home is dirty or something ( My home is never dirty, I clean all the time!) I worked in child care centers for 4 years and have never heard of pinworms...

The boy that got it, caught it from his dad I am guessing...

I have been using gloves all day today when changing pee/BM diapers just to be safe and also washing my hands about 50 times...

When illness come into my home I guess I feel like I worry way too much, my fiance told me I am worrying way too much...He was saying with it being contagious for 2 months, how are we/the children really going to treat it if the children come down with it at different times and such...I am worried this is going to be a nightmare!!!
Cat Herder 04:35 AM 01-27-2011
It is recommended to do a mass treatment, at one time, in a group setting...even if not exhibiting symptoms. There are some precautions on kids under two, though. Just give your Ped's Nurseline a call. They will get you everything you need Sometimes they even have samples...
Tags:pinworms
Reply Up