Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Not Playing Together
busymommy0420 07:15 PM 12-02-2011
I watch my "2" two year old daughters another 2 yo a 3yo and 4yo girl all day. They play well together, often the 3yo and 4yo team up and the 2yo and my daughter play together while my other 2yo daughter sticks to me like glue or plays alone. (she is special needs) Well we have a great routine and there are few issues until 3:00pm when the after school friends come. The 5yo girl who comes is VERY imaginative and dramatic and immediately the 4yo plays with her and they immediately will not play with the 3yo and go off an do their own thing. I have interjected a few times and said B***** can play with you too, or started a group activity. It is obvious that the 5yo does not like the 3yo very much but the 4yo plays with either girl depending upon the time of day. I worry about bullying or the mean girl syndrome and don't want the 3yo feeling left out or not wanted. Can they start being in cliques this young???
Heidi 05:34 PM 12-03-2011
The 4 year old is developmentally between the 3 and the 5, so she plays with either one.

The 3 can't quite keep up with the 5 yet.

Unless they are actually mean, they need to work it out amongst themselves. You can minimize it by planning things, but no one should be made to feel guilty because they have different interests.

The 3yo also can start to learn that sometimes you play with friends, and sometimes you do something else. That's ok! She can do fun things with the younger children, or she can do something fun by helself. No pity parties...it's just the way life is sometimes! Good practice for middle school...
Tags:won't play
Reply Up