Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sensory Table Mess Containment
thebenners 05:57 PM 11-10-2016
Hey all,

I love using sensory tables with my own kiddos. I'm getting close to being licensed with a Group 18 license. I want to use my sensory tables with daycare kiddos, but my own kids make such a mess that I'm looking for a way to slightly contain the mess.

My rep from childcare aware suggested putting the table in a plastic baby pool which is a great idea. But, I'm ridiculous and can't stand the thought of a round space in my daycare area.

Any suggestions?
MsHannah 06:03 PM 11-10-2016
Put some newspaper under the sensory table. If that doesn't work put a tarp under it.
Blackcat31 06:03 PM 11-10-2016
Originally Posted by thebenners:
Hey all,

I love using sensory tables with my own kiddos. I'm getting close to being licensed with a Group 18 license. I want to use my sensory tables with daycare kiddos, but my own kids make such a mess that I'm looking for a way to slightly contain the mess.

My rep from childcare aware suggested putting the table in a plastic baby pool which is a great idea. But, I'm ridiculous and can't stand the thought of a round space in my daycare area.

Any suggestions?
Put the sensory table entirely in a blow up pool or on a shower curtain or plastic tablecloth. Keeps the mess (spillage) contained.
kendallina 08:22 PM 11-10-2016
I put a plastic table cloth under mine, it works great and is cheap, so I can switch it out after a while.
Rockgirl 06:38 AM 11-11-2016
I've done the plastic tablecloth under, and also had a small whisk broom & dustpan nearby for cleaning up. My kids love sweeping up when they are finished playing!
heyhun77 02:27 PM 11-13-2016
when I was in my home with wood floors I would put those foam floor tiles down with a picnic blanket over the top. Or I would use a shallow storage tote and just do sensory activities on the floor of the kitchen with a towel. Now that we are in a separate space with tile floors in the bulk of the space we just go for it and clean as we go. In both situations there was/is a tote of clean up supplies for the kids to help keep their space tidy. The contents changed depending on the sensory experiece like towels for water/wet and a hand broom for sand, rice, oatmeal, ect.
Reply Up