Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Developmentally Appropriate Feeding Skills
Indoorvoice 09:56 AM 02-22-2019
Google is not helping! Is it developmentally appropriate for a 2 year old to still be flipping the spoon or fork upside down before it enters his mouth so that he can scrape the food off with his tongue instead of upper lip? Is this something you would work on, or ignore? If I try to correct him or model he gets mad and refuses the rest of his meal. We do have appropriate toddler utensils. If you would work on it,what kinds of things would you do? We do lots of scooping activities and fine motor stuff and he does it then too. Crayons and pencils are always held with an upside grip as well. Not sure if I'm just fighting a battle that doesn't matter at this point. It just bothers me because the 1 year old uses silverware better than him and makes less of a mess.
Cat Herder 12:02 PM 02-22-2019
Actually, it is a normal eating style. I was the only one not eating that way in a restaurant overseas recently. I felt very awkward. The way the butter knife was used was fascinating wizardry as well. How do the parents eat at home?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...il&FORM=VIREHT
Indoorvoice 12:38 PM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Actually, it is a normal eating style. I was the only one not eating that way in a restaurant overseas recently. I felt very awkward. The way the butter knife was used was fascinating wizardry as well. How do the parents eat at home?

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...il&FORM=VIREHT
Thanks for that input! He doesn't eat nearly as delicately, but I'll take it! His style is more of a 'open mouth as wide as you can with as much on the utensil as possible,spill half of it down your front, then sloppily twist the utensil in your mouth while scraping your teeth' method. I've never seen his parents eat,but I suspect they still spoon feed him. He is very much a babied little guy.
AmyKidsCo 01:48 PM 02-22-2019
Honestly, I'd just be happy that a 2 yr old is using a utensil! I have a 2.5 yr old who still eats almost everything - including cereal in milk - with her hands.
Ariana 02:52 PM 02-22-2019
I think its just indicative of an immature utensil user! He will get there. I have an 18 month old who can’t use a fork yet and she is also VERY babied at home
jenboo 08:15 PM 02-22-2019
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Honestly, I'd just be happy that a 2 yr old is using a utensil! I have a 2.5 yr old who still eats almost everything - including cereal in milk - with her hands.
I have this child too. I don't think she had ever seen a utensil until she started with me a couple months ago.
Tags:developmentally appropriate, eating habits, feeding styles, skills - feeding
Reply Up