Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cubby suggestions?
laundrymom 11:33 AM 09-18-2015
We are in the finishing stages of getting new home ready for daycare migration and I'm just really not wanting the type of open, shelf/hooks/ seat cubby that is standard. Could you guys describe or post pics of your cubby type?
Unregistered 11:49 AM 09-18-2015
I ordered a 5 shelf Bookcase and turned it on its side. Attached hooks for coats, and put square Dollerstore buckets on top of each section for hats/mitts etc.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/36583083?productRedirect=true
Blackcat31 12:31 PM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
We are in the finishing stages of getting new home ready for daycare migration and I'm just really not wanting the type of open, shelf/hooks/ seat cubby that is standard. Could you guys describe or post pics of your cubby type?
I have the standard open, shelf/hooks/seat cubby kind.

I have two sets and have them in an "L" shape in my entry way.

Like this:
Attached: pizap.com14426045243671.jpg (124.6 KB) 
renodeb 12:44 PM 09-18-2015
I have a little white shelf with 6 holes in it and 6 canvas boxes to go in it. Each child has a cubby tag. I have a set of hooks also for coats. I bought it at homedepot.
Deb
daycare 12:56 PM 09-18-2015
I have 2 large like this and one short with 6 spaces.

The top row is too tall for the kids, but it is perfect for all of their stuff
Attached: cubby box.jpg (116.5 KB) 
Thriftylady 01:07 PM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have 2 large like this and one short with 6 spaces.

The top row is too tall for the kids, but it is perfect for all of their stuff
I have this but with 9 spaces. I really need to figure something out for coats and shoes and such though.
daycare 01:12 PM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I have this but with 9 spaces. I really need to figure something out for coats and shoes and such though.
I have a box off to the side for shoes. we don't get really cold weather here, so we don't really need a lot of space for winter stuff like a lot you guys do.
Thriftylady 01:14 PM 09-18-2015
I have a box off to the side for shoes. we don't get really cold weather here, so we don't really need a lot of space for winter stuff like a lot you guys do.
My issue is I have two of the units in the hallway for 18 cubbies. Some are just used for extra supplies I do have two hooks on the end of one we use for a couple of backpacks but my creativity has not hit the solution for coats.
daycare 01:30 PM 09-18-2015
My issue is I have two of the units in the hallway for 18 cubbies. Some are just used for extra supplies I do have two hooks on the end of one we use for a couple of backpacks but my creativity has not hit the solution for coats.
lol....pinterest....

i love the ones that BC has. but I dont have the space or the husband she has...lol

wishful thinking on my part...lol
Thriftylady 02:22 PM 09-18-2015
lol....pinterest....

i love the ones that BC has. but I dont have the space or the husband she has...lol

wishful thinking on my part...lol
I know he comes to Daycare and does lawn care and builds stuff, and plays with kids. Some days I have husband envy!
Blackcat31 02:25 PM 09-18-2015
I know he comes to Daycare and does lawn care and builds stuff, and plays with kids. Some days I have husband envy!
.......and cooks/serves the DCK's lunch and then he does the dishes before he leaves!!
Thriftylady 02:26 PM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
.......and cooks/serves the DCK's lunch and then he does the dishes before he leaves!!
Ok stop or we will all be heading to your place to steal him.
Josiegirl 03:23 PM 09-18-2015
I just have a wall cubby, 8 spaces(4 on top row, then 4 below it), 4 double hooks underneath. I bought cheapie plastic shoe boxes from WalMart to put in the cubbies. It works great and is very sturdy. Underneath I have 2 plastic trays for shoes/boots on the floor.
Josiegirl 03:26 PM 09-18-2015
HE COOKS???

You mean, he cooks cooks? Doesn't just flip a burger on the grill every weekend and call that cooking while you race around making salads and everything else? He really cooks?

Does he happen to have a twin brother that likes older women?
nothingwithoutjoy 03:42 PM 09-18-2015
Hmmmm....I wanted to show you what I've got from IKEA, but maybe they don't sell it anymore; can't find it. It's a wooden ten-cubby shelf that fits behind my couch like a sofa table. I use big baskets that fill the holes; each kid has one. Shoes go on boot trays on the floor below. On the weekend, when their shoes aren't here, I can shove those under the shelf. I have nice white iron coat hooks on the wall at kid height. They get heaped up with stuff during the day, but most of it goes away at night.
MyAngels 04:32 PM 09-18-2015
I always thought something like this would be ok: http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/2014/02...rage-idea.html

But I'd rather have something with doors that looks more furniture-like (the interior of this could be customized): http://www.shanty-2-chic.com/2013/05...e-drawers.html

I know you have quite a few kids though so not sure either would work for you.
Thriftylady 05:38 PM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
HE COOKS???

You mean, he cooks cooks? Doesn't just flip a burger on the grill every weekend and call that cooking while you race around making salads and everything else? He really cooks?

Does he happen to have a twin brother that likes older women?
LOL you have a point. She hasn't responded so perhaps she is filling out police reports on a missing husband! And now we are ALL suspects.
daycare 05:41 PM 09-18-2015
LOL you have a point. She hasn't responded so perhaps she is filling out police reports on a missing husband! And now we are ALL suspects.
lol.. you girls are so funny.

i was planning my route to MN. but the last time i was there earlier this year, I froze, so I think Ill just wait it out until summer.

I thought hey should could rent him out....lmao but i think there is another term for that, which makes it not legal....Pi.. lol
Thriftylady 05:43 PM 09-18-2015
lol.. you girls are so funny.

i was planning my route to MN. but the last time i was there earlier this year, I froze, so I think Ill just wait it out until summer.

I thought hey should could rent him out....lmao but i think there is another term for that, which makes it not legal....Pi.. lol
Nah I don't need those kinds of services, it would be totally legal. Heck having some chores done around here would be plenty satisfying.
stephanie 06:27 PM 09-18-2015
At my center we have cubbies like these but with doors. We use magnet locks so kids can't open them.
http://www.schoollockers.com/media/c...rs_cubbies.jpg
Nisaryn 08:51 PM 09-18-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I ordered a 5 shelf Bookcase and turned it on its side. Attached hooks for coats, and put square Dollerstore buckets on top of each section for hats/mitts etc.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/36583083?productRedirect=true
What a great idea! I'll be stealing this...so much cheaper than buying one of those big fancy ones.
littletots 03:24 AM 09-19-2015
I used to have a high long table for sign in sheet, business cards, pics. Under it was cloth bins labeled with dck name. Near front door a shoe tray. Jackets would hang on hanging hooks on wall over shoe tray.
laundrymom 04:37 AM 09-19-2015
Wow! I'm loving the responses!! And I agree w the posters, BC has an awesome Hubs. I think I'll keep my guy though. He cooks AND BAKES. Pumpkin cookie season is fast approaching. And cheesecake. And snicker doodles.
I don't bake.
Lol. I don't have the attention span. First tray. Ok. second tray, eehhhh. Third tray.. Fire alarm. Lol

Our issue right now is time. And me being indecisive. I was thinking of buying the stackable recycle bins. I need ten total for all my kids. Using that for the time being. Then I could reuse them elsewhere if I wanted. I can get them for around 30$ for a set of three.
But I'm not sure. My kids do t really "use" their cubbies now. I do. I'm wondering if a low coat hook rack and the bins would work out for me. We use a milk crate for all of our shoes. (Part of our evacuation plan, I keep it by the door and can grab the whole bucket when exiting for a fire/fire drill if needed.)
I'm so overwhelmed with the space in the new house. It's not as big as some of yours, but right now(well for the last 21 years) I've done daycare in my living room. 15x14. And I have two giant couches. An oversized chair, ottoman, TV subwoofer, bookshelves, and a crib. Yes. I have a crib in my living room. All the. Time. Lol.
The new room is 14.6x14.6. we took a sunroom/3season room. Pulled out the full surround windows, put in walls, insulation, fantastic windows. A great door. And a new ceiling fan/plus carpet and tile. (On order until after we paint)
So I have literally a blank slate. I'm so overwhelmed at how to arrange it.
Snowmom 09:41 AM 09-19-2015
I'm envious that you all have the space for cubbies! Of course I'm envious of the hubby cooking thing too.
My entry is space is limited, so I've utilized more wall space. Actually, behind the door space to be technical.
This picture is my garage door right next to the front door. It has folders with the kid's pictures (so they know which ones are theirs), magnetic holders for little items that need to go home, the sign in sheet, and my communication board.
Behind the front door are coat hooks for daycare and I keep a floor basket for shoes.
Attached: door.jpg (98.7 KB) 
Reply Up