Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do U Allow Kids with Ear Infections to Attend?
Core12 06:09 AM 02-25-2019
Just got a text from dcm who states she will bring son if dressy she only has an ear infection and nothing catching. Your thoughts plz.
Josiegirl 06:12 AM 02-25-2019
If he's not miserable and screaming in pain, and on meds., then yes I do. Running a fever? No. Miserable? No. On meds or not? Hard to say yes or no because some drs. feel they'll go away on their own if it's not too bad.
I will accept them on meds but they have to be given on parents' time, not mine; I no longer give meds to dcks.
Blackcat31 06:13 AM 02-25-2019
Originally Posted by Core12:
Just got a text from dcm who states she will bring son if dressy she only has an ear infection and nothing catching. Your thoughts plz.
Most ear infections are in conjunction with a cold or some sort of respiratory infection/condition.

If the child has no other excludable symptoms AND has been on the antibiotic for a MINIMUM of 24 hours I would allow them to attend.

If the child has a fever or hasn't been on the antibiotic for 24 hours I would exclude.

I won't dispense the meds for child in care though.....that needs to be done outside of care hours at home.
Ariana 06:40 AM 02-25-2019
They can attend 48 hours after first dose of antibiotics.
Cat Herder 07:23 AM 02-25-2019
I don't exclude for ear infections, but I do not allow children to attend while taking fever-reducing medications.

*Most will claim allergies. If indeed, it is caused by seasonal allergies, 24 hours on children's Claritin/Zyrtec will help clear it up, stop the pain and prevent recurrence if taken correctly during allergy season.

If the cause is secondary to a virus the child would be excluded based on other symptoms until 24 hours fever/symptom free.

If the cause bacterial, attendance will be allowed 24 hours after the first dose of antibiotics and 24 hours fever free without medications, a minimum of 48 hours.
hwichlaz 08:54 PM 02-27-2019
Most ear infections are viral and go away by themselves in 3 days. They are not contagious as ear infections, usually it's a cold virus. I don't exclude for colds.

I do exclude for the first 24 hours on a medications though, in case they have a reaction.
Tags:ear infection
Reply Up