Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD ....DCB Car Seat Question
Emsdayhome 02:08 PM 09-10-2013
WWYD?!! I have a 10month old ft who started last week. I requested they leave his bucket seat today, in the chance I needed to pick up my new-to-kindergarten son from school (he came home yesterday, I sent my bro in law to get him). So they left the seat, I didn't look at it. I went to buckle him in , to make dad's job easier when he came to pick him up....the top (chest) buckle, is completely chewed by a dog. Like....completely. Doesn't click, doesn't do anything. So he's buckled by his legs only.......how do I handle this?! I will NEVER use that carseat!
Lavender 02:31 PM 09-10-2013
Even if it isn't true, I would probably tell them that due to regulations you are unable to use the seat because it is not full functional and you could get in trouble blah blah blah. It might be better to just avoid the hurt feelings by handling it that way. If it isn't a regulation, it should be IMO.
Leigh 02:42 PM 09-10-2013
I would see if there is a car seat distribution program in the area that they MAY be able to obtain a new seat from and print off information for the parents about getting a new one. You really should address it, because it it absolutely not safe for them to use it. You may want to even remind them that you are a mandatory reporter, but that you will give them a few days to remedy the situation. Maybe even google the brand and find a link for them to purchase a replacement strap. Really, I know that buckets go up to 35 pounds (some of them), but I can't imagine putting a kid in one at that age-mine only fit in his until 5.5 months! Personally, I purchased carseats for myself, so that I know they are safe and then I get to use the Evenflo ones that I so love.
Familycare71 02:47 PM 09-10-2013
In NY it is a reg that I use appropriate seats for each age level.
countrymom 03:01 PM 09-10-2013
how the heck does that happen.
sharlan 03:02 PM 09-10-2013
There is no way that I would allow that carseat to be on my property. In an accident, that child would quickly become a projectile, landing who knows where.

You have no control over what parents do, but I sure wouldn't take that responsibility.
Margarete 03:39 PM 09-10-2013
They can buy just a replacement buckle, as long as the straps are still in good shape, it's an easy fix... but not okay to use as it is.
MotherNature 04:13 PM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Lavender:
Even if it isn't true, I would probably tell them that due to regulations you are unable to use the seat because it is not full functional and you could get in trouble blah blah blah. It might be better to just avoid the hurt feelings by handling it that way. If it isn't a regulation, it should be IMO.
Agreed
Emsdayhome 08:57 PM 09-10-2013
ok so I couldn't stop thinking about it, and I sent mum a fb message . I simply said " hey! baby W is such a pleasure, I love having him here. He had a great day! I noticed though, that dad's carseat's chest buckle has been completely chewed.... this worries me for little W. I don't want anything happening to my little buddy, and I definitely can never use a seat like that. I have a bucket seat collecting dust in my garage that expires in 2016. You're more than welcome to use it until you transition to the next level up?" ....and she was grateful! said puppy chewed the buckle a few days ago and they were trying to hold out until this weekend when they put him in a convertible seat. It's ILLEGAL in Ontario to use a seat like this...if they were ever pulled over...that's a HUGE fine to pay. Forget that though...poor bub would become a projectile in seconds. Thankfully mum was ok with my observation, albeit a tad embarrassed, but she accepted my offer to lend my bucket seat which I am not using anyway....but....SHEESH!!! what is with people?! If my carseat strap was so much as frayed ....I'd be getting new straps a.s.a.p or a new seat ! sometimes people just amaze me....I took a photo of the buckle....to save my arse should anything ever happen. But I don't want that thing at my house, no way no how. My kids noticed it before I did , my 5yr old said " look mummy! that's not safe!" .....
DaisyMamma 08:10 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Emsdayhome:
ok so I couldn't stop thinking about it, and I sent mum a fb message . I simply said " hey! baby W is such a pleasure, I love having him here. He had a great day! I noticed though, that dad's carseat's chest buckle has been completely chewed.... this worries me for little W. I don't want anything happening to my little buddy, and I definitely can never use a seat like that. I have a bucket seat collecting dust in my garage that expires in 2016. You're more than welcome to use it until you transition to the next level up?" ....and she was grateful! said puppy chewed the buckle a few days ago and they were trying to hold out until this weekend when they put him in a convertible seat. It's ILLEGAL in Ontario to use a seat like this...if they were ever pulled over...that's a HUGE fine to pay. Forget that though...poor bub would become a projectile in seconds. Thankfully mum was ok with my observation, albeit a tad embarrassed, but she accepted my offer to lend my bucket seat which I am not using anyway....but....SHEESH!!! what is with people?! If my carseat strap was so much as frayed ....I'd be getting new straps a.s.a.p or a new seat ! sometimes people just amaze me....I took a photo of the buckle....to save my arse should anything ever happen. But I don't want that thing at my house, no way no how. My kids noticed it before I did , my 5yr old said " look mummy! that's not safe!" .....
I know what its like to have to struggle for $. But there is no way I would ever use this seat for my kid. And that goes double for anyone else using a bad seat for my kid. Are they for real? I would literally write a bad check to buy a new one before I ever left the house with that...
Cradle2crayons 09:15 AM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
I know what its like to have to struggle for $. But there is no way I would ever use this seat for my kid. And that goes double for anyone else using a bad seat for my kid. Are they for real? I would literally write a bad check to buy a new one before I ever left the house with that...
Same here. I think most of here truly due understand financial struggle. But no way in heck would I put my child in a seat that wasn't safe.
Angelsj 11:39 AM 09-11-2013
I have a family with a 1.5 year old little girl. I have questioned whether they use a carseat all the time...and they said they do. Still, sometimes they leave quickly, and have left at times when I am sure the older girl is holding her on her lap.

The older two come here right now, but baby stays with an aunt (I am sure the aunt is cheaper or free.) Yesterday, I went out to the car as she was hanging out to pick up an older child from the bus, and baby is in a carseat...sort of.
She was sitting in a bucket type seat (think newborn style) with a lap belt across the top of her legs (not touching her, just going over the car seat.
No five point harness...actually NOTHING holding her in the seat itself. I was floored.
I have said something so many times and it obviously isn't sticking.
Unregistered 05:51 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
I have a family with a 1.5 year old little girl. I have questioned whether they use a carseat all the time...and they said they do. Still, sometimes they leave quickly, and have left at times when I am sure the older girl is holding her on her lap.

The older two come here right now, but baby stays with an aunt (I am sure the aunt is cheaper or free.) Yesterday, I went out to the car as she was hanging out to pick up an older child from the bus, and baby is in a carseat...sort of.
She was sitting in a bucket type seat (think newborn style) with a lap belt across the top of her legs (not touching her, just going over the car seat.
No five point harness...actually NOTHING holding her in the seat itself. I was floored.
I'd be phoning Children's Services right now if I saw that
SilverSabre25 05:58 PM 09-11-2013

That right there is worthy of a 911 call. Immediately.
Cradle2crayons 05:59 PM 09-11-2013

I have it written in my handbook that if I find a child isn't buckled or the correct restraint is being used, I will report them as they leave the house and they will be picked up at the corner by the local police.

Years ago I had a mom who had a 2.5 year old girl in an INFANT car seat. You know the ones for under a year old and twenty pounds. The handle up. The crotch snapped but not the chest. I pulled mom aside and asked if she realized that was illegal she said "oh yeah, I just don't want to buy another one. And she won't leave her arms in the chest snap" so I told mom that will not happen again and she needed to purchase another car seat for the girl. That Monday they came back, child still in the same seat without the chest buckled. I said nothing. I called the local cops. They pulled her over a mile down the road. $500 ticket.a car seat would have been so much cheaper.
Angelsj 06:44 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
That right there is worthy of a 911 call. Immediately.
I have been struggling with it all day. I know they don't speak English well, and my Spanish is probably not up to par (I don't know the Spanish for things like regulations) but I am going to call my licensor tomorrow. I am thinking she will direct me to Child protection. I am hoping they just get training. They are pretty good parents for the most part. They just don't seem to get car safety at all. Pretty sure they don't make the older kids buckle up either.
Angelsj 06:46 PM 09-11-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I have it written in my handbook that if I find a child isn't buckled or the correct restraint is being used, I will report them as they leave the house and they will be picked up at the corner by the local police.

Years ago I had a mom who had a 2.5 year old girl in an INFANT car seat. You know the ones for under a year old and twenty pounds. The handle up. The crotch snapped but not the chest. I pulled mom aside and asked if she realized that was illegal she said "oh yeah, I just don't want to buy another one. And she won't leave her arms in the chest snap" so I told mom that will not happen again and she needed to purchase another car seat for the girl. That Monday they came back, child still in the same seat without the chest buckled. I said nothing. I called the local cops. They pulled her over a mile down the road. $500 ticket.a car seat would have been so much cheaper.
My hubby asked me today whether this was in my handbook. It is not, but it is going in now. They NEED to be buckled in appropriately.
Luvnmykidz 06:51 PM 09-11-2013
I volunteer at my kids school very often as well as pick up my pre-k ds. I have seen so many times that parents do not use carseats. One specifically stands out in my head..well now that I think about it a few stand out... a parent with a baby not quite one but looks to small for the infant seat, buckled in the passenger seat of a two door car and the 4yr old in a regular seat belt in the back seat. Another parent with three kids (two 4 yr olds and a 2 yr old) the 2 yr old is in a car seat (not strapped in though) and only one 4 yr old sits in a booster seat not strapped in either and the other 4 yr old is in the middle seat not buckled in. I have mentioned to both of these parents at pre-k pick up that what they are doing is dangerous, but they blow it off saying we live in walking distance, not even on a main road so no worries. Poor kiddos, they have a lot to worry about.
TwinKristi 01:29 AM 09-12-2013
About 8yrs ago I watched a friend's son and her boyfriend would drop off without carseats because it was just a block away! I told her I would report her if I saw it again and I never did but stopped watching him a couple months later anyway. Too much drama!
Tags:car seats
Reply Up