Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>views on fee increase from 2018
Childcare-yps 02:35 PM 12-18-2017
Hi,

Is anyone thinking to increase childcare rates..? how do you initiate it?
I know this is unfavorable topic to parents but as a childcare provider we do need to increase rates for our time spent, activity planning, teacher-helper pay,etc...

when i started i did very less price and some parents got promotional offer as well for whole year, but now as i am introducing new activities and also observed last year that we spent lot of money in toys and craft, gifts, other stuffs...but end of month we dont save anything, honestly we are not earning.

What you guys as a provider thinks..? also parents views on this topic are welcome... Thanks !!!
hwichlaz 02:39 PM 12-18-2017
I think it’s important to give at least a full month’s notice when you are going to raise fees. I usually raise every two years, and go by the most recent market rate survey. I call it a COLA (cost of living adjustment)
storybookending 07:20 PM 12-18-2017
I’m trying my best to never raise rates on an already enrolled child. I have added new children since started and they are paying me more than my families that have been here a bit longer.
amberrose3dg 02:29 AM 12-19-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
I’m trying my best to never raise rates on an already enrolled child. I have added new children since started and they are paying me more than my families that have been here a bit longer.
I haven't increased rates on families either. One i need to as their kids are becoming more and more work
DaveA 03:28 AM 12-19-2017
My contract states that fees are evaluated each November with parents notified of any change by November 30 to be applied starting January 1. I don't change fees each year but this gives parents warning it may be coming.
Cat Herder 05:05 AM 12-19-2017
I raise rates every two years, $2 - $5 week, typically. Unfortunately, COL has gone up much faster the last 5 years. Just my power bill is over $400, now.

Next year will be a big increase ($1,200 year) so will be for new enrollees.
Snowmom 07:18 AM 12-19-2017
I guarantee rates for the first two years a family is enrolled.
Every October, I send out contract renewals for the upcoming New Year. It lays out their current rate and when/if that changes. Ultimately, they get nearly a three month notice of any changes.

Two families have a $10/child per week increase this coming January since their initial two years are up and I've upped rates twice since they've enrolled.
storybookending 07:27 AM 12-19-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Just my power bill is over $400, now.
Remind me NEVER to move wherever you are. This is monthly?
Cat Herder 07:35 AM 12-19-2017
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Remind me NEVER to move wherever you are. This is monthly?
Yep. I purposely got a smaller home on a bigger property, too. 1500 sq feet, 10 year old home. It is high, was higher. I have replaced all appliances, lights and heat/ac system for energy efficiency, too. None are over 3 years old, now. Changed out insulation, bought insulated garage door, sealed old floor vents, had electric company do evaluation. I am out of ideas.

I do a ridiculous amount of laundry and have three freezers, though. I am not at a place in my life to minimize that right now. I am cooking for three homes and have the daycare.
storybookending 07:53 AM 12-19-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Yep. I purposely got a smaller home on a bigger property, too. 1500 sq feet, 10 year old home. It is high, was higher. I have replaced all appliances, lights and heat/ac system for energy efficiency, too. None are over 3 years old, now. Changed out insulation, bought insulated garage door, sealed old floor vents, had electric company do evaluation. I am out of ideas.

I do a ridiculous amount of laundry and have three freezers, though. I am not at a place in my life to minimize that right now. I am cooking for three homes and have the daycare.
OMG I cannot imagine. My house is a little over 1900 sq ft. Built in 1953. We insulated the attic upon moving in, although that project isn’t exactly finished. The windows are old and should be replaced soon. I cringe when gas/electric combined is over $150 in the summer...it’s a little higher in the summer running AC than it is in the winter running heat. They say if I replace my windows that are still original with the house that I could be paying a lot less. So far we’ve just been putting the storms on in the fall and the screens back in the spring & calling it good.
Reply Up