Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Starting A Family Daycare And Had Some Questions
TracyB 02:41 PM 07-21-2011
I would like to start a daycare in my home, I live in New York.. I had a few questions that I haven't been able to find the answers to..

we were planning on adding a Labrador puppy to our family, but not sure if it would cause challeges with running a daycare.
nicslittlebugs 06:09 PM 07-21-2011
hello and welcome,

I am just waiting now for my license to come in and im in NY. So I just went through ALL of the steps to become registered. I have 2 dogs, a toy fox terrier, and a chihuahua. We keep them seperated from our daycare areas (both inside and outside) so that it will NEVER be an issue. But to answer your question, it shouldnt be an issue as long as your new puppy has its shots for rabies.

Welcome again and good luck to you! if you have any other questions ask away!
DaisyMamma 06:34 PM 07-21-2011
I'm in CT but its never been an issue. I just need current vaccines.I have 4 dogs, 3 are chihuahuas BTW! I publish a newsletter for Chis, WWW.tazchi.com.
Unregistered 08:37 PM 07-21-2011
You are permitted to have a dog as long as it is properly immunized, however oftentimes propective parents are weary of dogs, so there may be some concern over enrollment and safety.
mom2many 10:58 PM 07-21-2011
I have had no problem here in CA. I've shown the licensing reps my dog's shot records and it has never been an issue.
AnneCordelia 05:03 AM 07-22-2011
The only issue with pets is that they can turn away prospective clients.

My personal preference was to put my children in a dayhome with no dogs (I don't trust them, any of them, when they are not my own). Now that I have a dayhome of my own we don't have a dog because of the logistics of managing 9 children (my own, plus dck) and a dog in our house (not a huge 1500sq/ft). Food for thought.
TracyB 03:40 PM 07-22-2011
Thanks for the helpful advice... I really appreciate it.

The more I've been thinking about it, and as much as I would love to have a companion for my family. Maybe having a puppy would be too much to handle. I would rather focus on the children in my care.
Tags:dogs, pets in daycare
Reply Up