Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Are The Basic Shots Your Dog Needs For Daycare?
iheartkids 07:36 AM 01-17-2012
I feel like my veterinarian goes above what is basically needed. My dog will get so many shots with all these different names and we get charged close to $200. So I've been putting it off cause we can't afford it. What shots are ABSOLUTELY needed for your dog to be immunized and safe for in home daycare so that next time I can just request those shots?
Cat Herder 07:40 AM 01-17-2012
If the kids have no access, at all, I think it is just rabies.

At least that is all my inspector asks to see.

I do keep all the rest of the shots current, though, just for my own reasons.

Have you checked out Care Credit? It is how I budget our pets care....and my dental.
MyAngels 07:41 AM 01-17-2012
I don't know about the safety aspect of it, but here we are only required to get rabies.

When my dogs were alive I made sure our vet gave them the basic set of shots (I think it was distemper, rabies and parvo) and I also got them the kennel cough one since they were occasionally boarded when we were away. They were always suggesting different shots, but I never took them up on it as our dogs were always healthy and basically indoor pets.

A friend of mine vaccinates his dogs himself. I think he orders the vaccines from Drs. Foster & Smith.
Ariana 09:14 AM 01-17-2012
Worms and rabies would be my guess. Anything that can be transferred to humans.

My dog got all his shots as a puppy but the only thing I get renewed is rabies and worms. He's with the children all day.
Zoe 09:20 AM 01-17-2012
In MN at least, all that is needed is Rabies. I keep my 3 dogs and cat fully vaccinated for their sake though. Yes it's expensive but I don't want my pups getting sick.

And I agree with Catherder. Care Credit is a live saver! Look into it!

I should also add that my vet recently told me about the Leptospirosis shot isn't always necessary for dogs. It's only really needed if the dog goes to a river/creek area or wooded area where deer and other small animals are. If your dog isn't exposed to that sort of environment, then the lepto shot is unnecessary.
AnneCordelia 09:21 AM 01-17-2012
All that is legally required here is rabies.
renodeb 11:57 AM 01-17-2012
In my state all they need is rabies.
Debbie
Meeko 12:02 PM 01-17-2012
Rabies is the only one needed by licensing here.

We have a wonderful vet and never hesitate to take our dogs to him if they appear sick, or just need a check up.

However...he's expensive!

So we go to a local walk-in clinic for immunizations. We have one that charges only $12 per shot. They also do neutering etc.

To have our dog neutered by the vet would have been $178. It cost $55 at the clinic. The dog still received great care.

So look around your area for discount clinics.
wdmmom 12:05 PM 01-17-2012
Rabies and distemper are probably mandatory.

Parvo is optional although if your dog isn't treated, it could be fatal.

Bordetella is needed if you take him/her to a groomer, keep him/her boarded or if you visit parks/dog parks often.
lilcupcakes09 12:16 PM 01-17-2012
In Maryland it is just rabies that licensing asks to see...if they are going to be around the kids however, they better be fully vaccinated in case of a bite, the bite is bad enough, but usually the #1 question is "are they up to date on their shots?"

Look up luvmypet.com, it is a traveling, low cost vaccination van that comes to our local petco's. They have a licensed vet give the injections and the yearly shot package is around $49.00 for a dog. The vets are outrageous these days!
Kaddidle Care 02:08 PM 01-17-2012
All dogs should be vaccinated against rabies and the standard DHLPP should be on your list as well. (you can get it without Lepto which sometimes causes allergic reactions.) Another thing that shouldn't be skipped is Heartworm preventative.

Please don't risk the health of your pet - look into cheaper vaccines/Vets. I know that Petco runs low cost vaccine clinics. They may have them at the other large Pet Food Chains as well.
Around here the Core vaccines cost about $50.00. http://www.petco.com/petco_Page_PC_storelocator.aspx

A lot of towns have free rabies vaccines as well - check your township website or call. It is a requirement for licensing your pet as well.
SilverSabre25 02:13 PM 01-17-2012
I would def. consider a low-cost shot clinic offered at various pet stores. Petco is one that was already mentioned. Other places might do them too.
KBCsMommy 06:19 PM 01-17-2012
Im not sure about your state, but most feed stores carry immunization shots. The basic ones Parvo, Corona ,Worms. Your county animal shelter also should have rabies clinics. But you will probaly have to license your dog too.

And its your choice what immunizations you give your dog too!
KBCsMommy 06:23 PM 01-17-2012
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
Rabies is the only one needed by licensing here.

We have a wonderful vet and never hesitate to take our dogs to him if they appear sick, or just need a check up.

However...he's expensive!

So we go to a local walk-in clinic for immunizations. We have one that charges only $12 per shot. They also do neutering etc.

To have our dog neutered by the vet would have been $178. It cost $55 at the clinic. The dog still received great care.

So look around your area for discount clinics.
Meeko it was only $178 to neuter your dog...dont you have big dogs?! I took our Mastiff to get spayed at a local vet and they told us $400!!! Ya RIght! We took her to the SPCA and they spayed her for $90. Now with our new puppy the vet says we need to wait until hes 18 months so he can develop fully. She is crazy if she thinks shes going to do it he will be 200 lbs by then!!
Kaddidle Care 07:54 PM 01-17-2012
Studies have shown there are actually less risks in the long run if you wait to spay/neuter. http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

I waited until my Golden was 2. The only problem I had with him was that he loved his blankie a tad too much. There was no marking in the house or anything like that.

Neutering doesn't solve every problem behavior wise like many will tell you. As you already know, with a Mastiff you're going to be doing major training so that he behaves properly. If you don't, he'll be dragging you all about and doing as he pleases just due to his size alone.
iheartkids 08:45 PM 01-17-2012
Thanks! I will look into the shot clinics around here. I do want to eventually get everything up-to-date but this year has been hard financially. We got him into another vet that we heard was really good and affordable. I just wanted to get the important ones done now before my visit next week!
Meeko 09:28 AM 01-18-2012
Originally Posted by KBCsMommy:
Meeko it was only $178 to neuter your dog...dont you have big dogs?! I took our Mastiff to get spayed at a local vet and they told us $400!!! Ya RIght! We took her to the SPCA and they spayed her for $90. Now with our new puppy the vet says we need to wait until hes 18 months so he can develop fully. She is crazy if she thinks shes going to do it he will be 200 lbs by then!!
This was for our little Westie boy, not our Newfie! I honestly don't remember how much my big boy was to neuter. But try and find a clinic rather than a vet for shots and neutering....MUCH cheaper!
Tags:dog, dog breed restrictions, dogs, pet medicine, pets in daycare
Reply Up