Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Really?!?
SunflowerMama 05:01 AM 06-30-2010
So I currently have 4 dcks and all but one are picked up by 4:45. I have one little girl that isn't picked up until 6p (5:30p is my published closing time but this was my first family and mom is a single parent and seemed desperate for care so I said I could work with her).

Well now I'm full and have been lucky enough to have 2 teacher's children and then 2 others that are all picked up early so I've been debating changing my closing time to 5pm.

So last night at 5:50p this dcg's mom calls and says she stuck at the office and doesn't know when she will get out (she works 30mins from us). So I offered to have her little girl eat dinner with us and then I bathed her with my girls and had her dressed in pjs and ready for bed when mom came at 7pm!

My girls go to sleep at 7p so that totally broke into my husband's only time with the girls and when she picked up didn't even mention anything about paying a late fee or offering anything to compensate for my time. She said she was sorry and left.

My late fees would have been about $20 which isn't a huge deal but she didn't even offer. I'm just so ready to tell her that I'm changing my hours. A couple of months ago I asked her if she could start picking up earlier so her mom does come 2-3 times a week around 5:30ish but she never tells me what days she's coming so I couldn't even plan to do things if I wanted to. Her daughter is super sweet and I love her to death but with my current group of kids I could be done so much earlier.

What do you guys think I should do? Would you ask for the late fee for yesterday? What about changing my hours on her?
jen 05:08 AM 06-30-2010
I would be up front with her and tell her pretty much what you told us. You appreciate that her Mom picks up, but it isn't helpful when you don't know what days that will be. I would also remind her about the late fee so that she thinks twice next time.

In the end, I think you have to decide if it's worth it for your family to keep them or keep those hours. If not, don't hesitate to change your hours. It really is all about what works for you family!
momofboys 05:08 AM 06-30-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
So I currently have 4 dcks and all but one are picked up by 4:45. I have one little girl that isn't picked up until 6p (5:30p is my published closing time but this was my first family and mom is a single parent and seemed desperate for care so I said I could work with her).

Well now I'm full and have been lucky enough to have 2 teacher's children and then 2 others that are all picked up early so I've been debating changing my closing time to 5pm.

So last night at 5:50p this dcg's mom calls and says she stuck at the office and doesn't know when she will get out (she works 30mins from us). So I offered to have her little girl eat dinner with us and then I bathed her with my girls and had her dressed in pjs and ready for bed when mom came at 7pm!

My girls go to sleep at 7p so that totally broke into my husband's only time with the girls and when she picked up didn't even mention anything about paying a late fee or offering anything to compensate for my time. She said she was sorry and left.

My late fees would have been about $20 which isn't a huge deal but she didn't even offer. I'm just so ready to tell her that I'm changing my hours. A couple of months ago I asked her if she could start picking up earlier so her mom does come 2-3 times a week around 5:30ish but she never tells me what days she's coming so I couldn't even plan to do things if I wanted to. Her daughter is super sweet and I love her to death but with my current group of kids I could be done so much earlier.

What do you guys think I should do? Would you ask for the late fee for yesterday? What about changing my hours on her?
I would definitely remind her that she owes you for the extra time you provided care. And at the same time I would tell her, in writing, that effective (whatever date you choose) your hours will now be ending at 5:00 or whatever time you pick. Say that anytime after your closing time will incur a late fee & make it hefty enough that she will make other arrangements to pick up on time or have someone else do so.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 05:27 AM 06-30-2010
I was just in the same boat...most of my daycare kids leave no later than 4:45pm...my newest mom, I took her son in a little over a month ago. I specifically told her I need to close at 5pm because my daughters are in sports with practices starting at 5:30. She picked up late several times..usually no later than 5:20 BUT 5 is my closing time! I let the late fee slide many times before I got so irritated that it was cutting into my family time...I can't use my swimming pool during daycare and when it's hot out, my kids are ready to jump in by 5pm so when she doesn't show at 5, I get so upset. I printed off an invoice using minute menu with her late fees on there and her pick up times.

I also just gave her a letter on Friday stating I'm changing my closing time to 4:30, instead of 5. Do I feel bad because I just took her son in and guilty that he may have to get used to yet another daycare?, yes..BUT on the flip side, it's disrespectful to me that she seems like being late is ok. I understand it's her work schedule and she can't help it, but this is my business and I need to do what is right for my family. So many times I worry about the other families...but learning quickly I need to put mine first.

I wouldn't hesitate to let her know you are changing your business hours. I explained I'm changing mine so I can get my children to appts. they need to go to and that I'm open at 5:30a.m. and I need to be done no later that 4:30p.m. with NO overtime. As far as the late fee...if you don't get it this time, I would make it known that you have let them slide thus far but starting "X" date you will be enforcing your late fee in all fairness to cutting into your family time.
Pammie 05:47 AM 06-30-2010
I just went through a similar situation (moral support please post).
I changed my closing hours to 4:30 - and expected at least one family to leave over the change. But I stated in my letter to all families that I was changing my hours and understood that it might be too much of an inconvenience for some, and offered to give them contact information of other area providers if they couldn't work with my new schedule. I was truly prepared to lose clients, but all of them came back and said they would stay with me, and adjust to the new closing time.
Now I'm wondering why I didn't make the change sooner.
My suggestion is just simply notify all families that you are changing to an earlier closing time - not offer any reasons, just state that you are - and leave the decision up to them.
Just my opinion - good luck in whatever you decide to do!
Unregistered 05:50 AM 06-30-2010
I was sort of in the same boat for about the past 6 months. My 8yo dcg is the first one dropped off and the last one picked up. I was getting annoyed because I felt like they had no respect for my time. I knew Mom was trying to be respectful but it wasn't coming across that way. I finally had enough last week when she said step-dad will be picking up on Tues and Thurs due to her being in class. I said ok with the thought that he's always super early picking her up. Turns out his normal hours are super late! My closing time is 5:30 and he showed up at 6:20. I finally e-mailed her last week and being the passive aggressive person I am, said I'm starting an exercise class on Thursday's so that he will have to be there by 5:30. She replies with "what time do you need us there by every day"? I was so happy to tell her 5:30 and I think she was glad too because she said, I never knew when I was overstepping my boundaries. SOOO moral of the story was: we both had just been keeping quiet and then both of us were wondering!

Sorry, this was waaay longer than I thought it was going to be. :-)
professionalmom 10:16 AM 06-30-2010
You can always just talk to her and tell her what you told us. If you don't have that discussion and let things continue as they are, they will never change. You won't even have any hope that they could change. However, if you have the discussion, you at least have a chance of getting what you want. She may decide to leave, but she may also surprise you and adjust her schedule so she doesn't lose you. If you don't ask, she'll never know your need, and you'll never get it. It never hurts to ask. If you can't afford to lose her and she gives you a hard time, you still have the option of backing down or offering a compromise. Ask and you may receive. Never ask, and you will never receive. Good luck!
momma2girls 11:00 AM 06-30-2010
If a parent really trusts you and likes you, they will do everything they can to keep you!!!!
Tags:late fee, pick up
Reply Up