Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Please Define Potty Trained :)
wahmof3 04:27 AM 05-07-2012
I need your definition of potty trained because I am pretty sure I will need to address it pretty soon.

DCF has 2 kids: DCK2 and DCK 15 months.

DCM says DCK2 is potty trained. Mind you he has never had an accident at my house but he does not go by himself. I have to walk him up to the bathroom, and put him on the toilet. He doesn't even attempt to pull his pants down or pull them up when finished. We have been doing this for 6 months now. IMO he is not completely potty trained.

DCM is apparently PTing the 15 month old now. I do not have the time with 5 other kids here to be running her up to the potty all the time like her brother. I am not totally sure how to handle this. I wish she would wait until summer when she is out of school to do this. I just know she will bring her here in the next week without any diapers/pull ups and just say here you go........
mac60 05:03 AM 05-07-2012
There is no way I would even work with a 15 mo old to potty train. If you have been helping a 2 yr old go potty for 6 mo, then no, he still is not potty trained IMO.

This is my policy.

When you feel your child is ready for potty training, please initiate the training at home before asking me to start it at childcare. When your child can verbally tell me they have to go potty, understands the basics of going potty, and can, on their own, pull down and pull up their clothing, I will begin the potty training process here. Please remember that the activity level here can distract your child from realizing they need to use the potty, more so than at your home. Extra outfits, including socks, will be needed during the training period. Please, PULL UPS ONLY during the training process, NO CLOTH TRAINING PANTS. During the potty training process please dress your child in clothes that make it easy for them to go use the potty. When your child has gone potty with no accidents for a period of 2 weeks, cloth panties can then be used at daycare. During these 2 weeks, the child must verbally tell me each time they need to potty, or just go on their own. If accidents occur, the child will need to go back into pull ups while here and start the 2 week accident free process again.
JenNJ 05:41 AM 05-07-2012
Sounds like you are trained, not the kid.

Potty trained means a child can verbalize or sign that they need to go, get to the bathroom, pull down pants alone or with minimal help, get onto the toilet, go, wipe, and get dressed. They must flush the potty and alert me to any accidental.mess. wash ahmds, dry hands, and shut the door. Anything less than that and they are still learning.
Countrygal 06:01 AM 05-07-2012
I have been wondering the exact same thing! Thank you for asking this question!

I have a 3 1/2 yo who is not potty trained. Parents are working on it, but he does not verbalize when he has to go. It is very hard in daycare. I have him go at the regular times, but his #2 is invariably in his pull-up. He is fighting potty training horribly, and imo just is not ready, although seems old enough to understand.

What have others done, along the same lines as the OP - what exactly IS potty trained and how much effort do you put into doing it? It's really hard with all of the other kids to watch as well.
mac60 06:13 AM 05-07-2012
I have always had the belief that a child is "potty trained" when they can do what is stated above, and it should only take a few days. If they don't get it in a few days, then it should be dropped and tried again at a latter date. Potty trained to me does not mean wearing pull ups and working on it for months on end. That is way too frustrating for both child and provider.
Breezy 06:47 AM 05-07-2012
I have a 15 month old son and I can not imagine even attempting potty training with him! No way!
wahmof3 08:24 AM 05-07-2012
So the 15 month old DCK has been here since 7am and in that time I have changed her diaper 3 times and all 3 times she was super soaked- the whole potty train with her just isn't going to fly. So I will have my potty train policy ready when she picks up because that's when she is going to "inform" me of this. LOL

Ugh its Monday! I am so glad that I am not the only one who thinks its crazy to even think about PTing her
Breezy 08:26 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
So the 15 month old DCK has been here since 7am and in that time I have changed her diaper 3 times and all 3 times she was super soaked- the whole potty train with her just isn't going to fly. So I will have my potty train policy ready when she picks up because that's when she is going to "inform" me of this. LOL

Ugh its Monday! I am so glad that I am not the only one who thinks its crazy to even think about PTing her
I put DS on the potty since he was naked anyhow before his bath and he just looked at me and smiled. He has noooooooo idea what it is or what I want him to do! Craziness!
Countrygal 12:28 PM 05-07-2012
OK, I agree that a child is not ready until the things listed, and others including diaper staying dry in between "potty trips".

But what do you do when the parents INSIST that he HAS to be potty trained NOW??? I have given them a list showing "signs of readiness to potty train" and talked to them. I even make dcb wear diapers here, because he is having a few issues with his bm's.

How do you convince them that this child IS NOT ready??
SilverSabre25 01:06 PM 05-07-2012
"Potty Trained" means:
1. Is able to communicate need to use the restroom (I accept sign language )
2. Able to hold "it" until at the toilet
3. Willing to initiate potty trips on own
4. Can manage own clothing--including pulling pants/undergarment up/down independently (exceptions: managing buttons/snaps/zippers/buckles--but those should be avoided in the clothing of young children).
5. Is able to climb onto toilet independently
6a. Keeps diapers dry in between potty trips
6b. Is able to remain accident free when naked/in underwear
7. Is aware of bodily functions.
JenNJ 02:08 PM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by Countrygal:
OK, I agree that a child is not ready until the things listed, and others including diaper staying dry in between "potty trips".

But what do you do when the parents INSIST that he HAS to be potty trained NOW??? I have given them a list showing "signs of readiness to potty train" and talked to them. I even make dcb wear diapers here, because he is having a few issues with his bm's.

How do you convince them that this child IS NOT ready??
If they insist he must be potty trained now, I would suggest that taking a week or two off work and starting potty training bootcamp would be ideal. If they don't want to do that, then I guess it isn't getting done.

I don't potty train -- I encourage, ask, and assist -- but I don't train. I am not invested enough to care if they are PT or not. I don't pay for the diapers, lol. They are the parents, they need to do the hard work of potty training. Here, I can't give one child the singular attention needed to potty train. It is unfair to the other kids and their paying parents. If they want to train, great. If not, oh well. I keep doing diapers here until I see real progress here. I don't care what the kid does at home.

I have a boy here now who is supposedly 100% trained at home. He wets like an elephant and poops and happily runs around the yard in it without telling me. So I am not buying it. I don't care. I just slap on a clean diaper and move on with my day.
jenn 02:38 PM 05-07-2012
In my daycare, potty trained is... Ability to verbally identify the need to go, go into the bathroom, undress, get on potty chair or toilet, go, wipe, dress, wash and dry hands independently, return to play. I supervise, of course, but unless they can do it all with no verbal or physical assistance on my part, they are training, not trained.
wahmof3 04:31 PM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by jenn:
In my daycare, potty trained is... Ability to verbally identify the need to go, go into the bathroom, undress, get on potty chair or toilet, go, wipe, dress, wash and dry hands independently, return to play. I supervise, of course, but unless they can do it all with no verbal or physical assistance on my part, they are training, not trained.
This is me too!! That's why I am having a hard time with this because DCK #1 doesn't even tell me let alone undress to go to the bathroom. Yes he holds it until I physically put him on the potty AND now she wants to work with her 15 month old!! Good grief lol!
wahmof3 05:25 AM 05-09-2012
So I changed DCG, 15 months, this morning & she peed on me!!!!

Yep she is ready to start potty training!!!!
momma2girls 01:37 PM 05-10-2012
This is what I have written in my contract-
I will assist with potty training, but this needs to be started at home. The child needs to be making good progress and totally understands the concept of it, before I will assist with it here. Pullups are required at all times, until totally potty trained( this means goes on their own, without assitance or reminders from myself), and be accident free for quite some time.
momma2girls 01:38 PM 05-10-2012
I added the above to my contract after a parent wanted me to potty train at 15 months old, and wanted me to do all of it. lol!!!
temom 01:48 PM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by momma2girls:
This is what I have written in my contract-
I will assist with potty training, but this needs to be started at home. The child needs to be making good progress and totally understands the concept of it, before I will assist with it here. Pullups are required at all times, until totally potty trained( this means goes on their own, without assitance or reminders from myself), and be accident free for quite some time.
what do you do about parents that send pull ups way too big for the kid and they leak everywhere, n the refuse to believe the size is wrong n that maybe DC isn't changing them as often.
momma2girls 01:57 PM 05-10-2012
I would definately tell them to bring along the correct size.
Countrygal 03:44 PM 05-10-2012
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
If they insist he must be potty trained now, I would suggest that taking a week or two off work and starting potty training bootcamp would be ideal. If they don't want to do that, then I guess it isn't getting done.

I don't potty train -- I encourage, ask, and assist -- but I don't train. I am not invested enough to care if they are PT or not. I don't pay for the diapers, lol. They are the parents, they need to do the hard work of potty training. Here, I can't give one child the singular attention needed to potty train. It is unfair to the other kids and their paying parents. If they want to train, great. If not, oh well. I keep doing diapers here until I see real progress here. I don't care what the kid does at home.

I have a boy here now who is supposedly 100% trained at home. He wets like an elephant and poops and happily runs around the yard in it without telling me. So I am not buying it. I don't care. I just slap on a clean diaper and move on with my day.
This is exactly what I've done. I've had poop all over the floor, all over one of my chairs and that was ENUF! It took me 1/2 hour to clean and sanitize one day. Nope, can't go there. Isn't fair to the other kiddos.

So I've done what you do. Parents aren't too happy, but..... what can I say? They've seen the mess he left!
Tags:potty, potty train, potty training, potty training policy
Reply Up