Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Cat Napping Infant
lilcupcakes09 05:08 AM 07-23-2013
In all my time and babies for the past 5 years I have never had a newborn who won't nap....My newest current DCB is 3 months old. Doesn't sleep more than a half hour at a time, I can always hit the nail on the head when she will wake up, anywhere between 20-30 mins after falling asleep. Have tried every which way to get her to sleep, always wakes up crying! Parents say same thing at home, but it is getting old quick! Even after drinking a full bottle she still doesn't take a good nap. I have never came across this problem with my tiny ones, I usually feel like I'm over charging for them because they generally sleep most of the day in the beginning!
LK5kids 06:14 AM 07-23-2013
I have an infant that was like this. This child is 7 1/2 mo now and is on a great schedule but it was hard @ first!

This child had acid reflux and took medicine for it but he still had tummy troubles that affectied how much he ate and how he felt. He would only drink two/three ounces at a time. He also slept in one of those F. Price slanted sleepers and would not sleep flat for a long time!

He still barely drinks 4 oz. @ a time...usually closer to 3 oz. he still eats every two hours. I don't have to fight with him to drink anymore, but until about two weeks ago he really fought drinking even 3/4 ounces! He is at a really good weight, so he must get enough to eat!

I don't have a lot advice. Do you have a lullaby c.d.? I always use those. Has he been rocked to sleep and is having a hard time staying asleep or did parents hold him while he slept during the day? I know LOTS of parents that do that during maternity leave.

I totally understand the desire to bond during the time off and I know it must be hard to go back to work. I can see holding my infant lots if I was going back to work! I was a SAHM and I didnt't hold my infants non-stop but probably would have if I was going back to work! But that practice makes it hard when baby goes to day care!

I guess it could be just an adjustment period and will improve once he gets on a better schedule.

Good luck!
AfterSchoolMom 06:59 AM 07-23-2013
Oh, the dreaded "C" word. The first time a parent says "catnap", I say "not a good fit, thanks".

Is the baby startling himself awake? Would he take a swaddle? The thing that has worked wonders for me is a HUGE, garage style fan that makes a super loud, low frequency hum. It drowns out all background noise. I'd combine that with a dark room if possible.
LoraJenkins 07:29 AM 07-23-2013
My youngest DCK was like that at first too (he was 4 months old). It was REALLY frustrating!!!! The parents had gotten into the habit of only feeding him a couple of ounces of formula every two hours (first time parents). Luckily they trusted my judgment 100% and we soon had him on a 4 hour feeding schedule with more formula and he was taking good naps (this stopped the constant spitting up issue also). He started having nap issues again a few months later. We started him on baby food and it straightened out. He is now 20 months old and my BEST napper!! Hang in there!!!!
Unregistered 05:31 PM 07-23-2013
I had one of these kids recently, too. I had to term her. She was diagnosed with milk allergy and switched to soy milk-things were great after that. New doctor insisted on switching back to milk. At EXACTLY that time, the child started sleeping in 15-20 minute increments again and screaming all day long. Parents would not see another doctor, would not try to switch to hypoallergenic formula. Told me the problem was that the baby was SPOILED. I had to term. I wonder if they ever got help for the little girl, but I don't regret the terming for one second.
Reply Up