Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Not Enough Teachers-- How can I take action?
cocoacrickets 09:35 AM 09-20-2015
Hey everyone,

I'm a sixteen-year old high school senior who just left her job at a local daycare.

There was a certain day at my daycare where I was given a workload far above what I, or anyone, could handle. My director assigned me to a group of fifteen three-year olds, some of which were still in diapers, and a girl with special needs who was about eleven. I don't think it needs to be said that that's a huuuge group and a very big handful for one person. When I spoke to her about it and asked her to switch, she gave me a group of eleven 6-year olds and was generally very snide about it: "Here you go, Miss Micaela! It's a smaller group, and the age group you asked for. Now let's see if you can get them all to sit down. Impress me."

Between the times of 2:30-6:00, that particular daycare has about 46 kids between the ages of 5 mo-10 yrs and four caretakers. That seems a little understaffed.

I also learned that daycares aren't even allowed to hire under-18 year olds as childcare workers, which makes me think that this daycare is even sketchier.

While I have plenty of volunteer experience with school-aged kids, I'm relatively new to the world of childcare and the legal/business side of things. But everyone I talk to about it says I should report them. Should I? And how do I even do that?
Up