Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Neighbors Dog
daycare 07:20 PM 07-29-2014
So most of you know I just moved house and Daycare to a new location.

Everything has been going EXCELLENT!!! Except one thing.

My immediate next door neighbors have a small some-what mean dog that is always out. It comes to my lawn and does it business often and stands at the end of my driveway barking at us.

I have not really said anything to the neighbor other than introduce myself, tell them about my DC and make nice with them. Without judgement, I do have to say that they are very different people, rough around the edges, drink beer about 9am out front of their house during the middle of the week and leave trash. I guess you could say that they are the neighbor that brings down all the value of the rest of the homes on our street.

Sorry I got off track, that really has nothing to do with the issue at hand.

Today this dog was going up to my daycare parent, leaving a short distance and just barking at them like mad. I am scared to death of dogs, I don't care the size.

Well I tried to have my son go over to the neighbors and tell them that there dog was out. They said "Yeah we have a hole in the fence, we got tired of fixing it, so he's always out"............

UGH...........I am so fearful that the dog will bite one of my families, but I don't really know what to do here because I don't want to get into it with my neighbors.

If I call the police what happens? Will the neighbors start a war with me?

What would you do here? I don't know anything about dogs, laws, etc. I just know that I have to do something.

Thanks in advance...
NoMoreJuice! 08:13 PM 07-29-2014
Yes, it will start a huge war! Don't involve the city, police, or anyone else. Just go to Home Depot and buy materials to patch the fence yourself. Or you could just offer to help patch the fence and bring them a six pack in good faith.

Good luck!
MyAngels 08:14 PM 07-29-2014
Does your city have an Animal Control (i.e., the "Dog Catcher") office?

Here, if you pet gets picked up by Animal Control you have to pay $100 to get them back, which acts as a deterrent to allowing pets to roam.
KidGrind 08:50 PM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:

My immediate next door neighbors have a small some-what mean dog that is always out. It comes to my lawn and does it business often and stands at the end of my driveway barking at us.

I have not really said anything to the neighbor other than introduce myself, tell them about my DC and make nice with them. Without judgement, I do have to say that they are very different people, rough around the edges, drink beer about 9am out front of their house during the middle of the week and leave trash. I guess you could say that they are the neighbor that brings down all the value of the rest of the homes on our street.

Today this dog was going up to my daycare parent, leaving a short distance and just barking at them like mad. I am scared to death of dogs, I don't care the size.

Well I tried to have my son go over to the neighbors and tell them that there dog was out. They said "Yeah we have a hole in the fence, we got tired of fixing it, so he's always out"............

UGH...........I am so fearful that the dog will bite one of my families, but I don't really know what to do here because I don't want to get into it with my neighbors.

What would you do here? I don't know anything about dogs, laws, etc. I just know that I have to do something.

Thanks in advance...
My personality is such I’d just called Animal Control with the description of the animal and give the owner’s address.

If they neighbors asked me if I called, I’d say, “Yes, I addressed my concern about your dog running wild as if a mutant hyena. You didn’t care to fix your fence. I didn’t care to be harassed by Cujo.”

So my advice for you is to try what the previous poster suggested. It’s an excellent idea! It would just get my goat to spend money and time on someone else’s legal responsibility.

Is it Friday yet?
SilverSabre25 08:52 PM 07-29-2014
would you have funds to install (and maintain!) a fence of your own? Perhaps a nice tall privacy fence...that goes all along the property line to the street or the sidewalk or whatever....
racemom 09:18 PM 07-29-2014
Maybe if you approach the neighbors nicely and say something like "I am concerned about your dog being loose because I have children coming and going during the day. If one of the children would scare or hurt your dog and he bit or scratched one of them, it could be a huge liability for you." That way it makes it seem like you care about them and their dog.
daycare 09:55 PM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Does your city have an Animal Control (i.e., the "Dog Catcher") office?

Here, if you pet gets picked up by Animal Control you have to pay $100 to get them back, which acts as a deterrent to allowing pets to roam.
I don't know, I have never hear of that before, I would have to google it and see, now that I know what that is called I will for sure check
daycare 09:56 PM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Yes, it will start a huge war! Don't involve the city, police, or anyone else. Just go to Home Depot and buy materials to patch the fence yourself. Or you could just offer to help patch the fence and bring them a six pack in good faith.

Good luck!
I dont have access to the hole, it is a hole in their backyard fence
daycare 09:58 PM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
My personality is such I’d just called Animal Control with the description of the animal and give the owner’s address.

If they neighbors asked me if I called, I’d say, “Yes, I addressed my concern about your dog running wild as if a mutant hyena. You didn’t care to fix your fence. I didn’t care to be harassed by Cujo.”

So my advice for you is to try what the previous poster suggested. It’s an excellent idea! It would just get my goat to spend money and time on someone else’s legal responsibility.

Is it Friday yet?
Cujo? I don't know what that means????

I just worry that if I do call someone to tell them about the dog I will start some problem. I wonder if I can do it anonymously?
daycare 09:59 PM 07-29-2014
I would have to fence my entire front yard and that would cost about 10-+ grand I am sure. There would really not be a way to do that especially because I rent.
daycare 10:02 PM 07-29-2014
Originally Posted by racemom:
Maybe if you approach the neighbors nicely and say something like "I am concerned about your dog being loose because I have children coming and going during the day. If one of the children would scare or hurt your dog and he bit or scratched one of them, it could be a huge liability for you." That way it makes it seem like you care about them and their dog.
This was my thought, but worry that it will still backfire some way. I think I would like to see if there is a way that I could anonymously report the dog.

Also, now I know why there are a ton of little yellow spots on my lawn....
daycarediva 03:36 AM 07-30-2014
I would call animal control. I started a (minor) war with a neighbor two houses down because of their yippy little dog. He would walk up and down the sidewalks and bark at people, houses, cars and pedestrians would have to cross the street to avoid him. By small, I mean smaller than my cat, a Chihuahua mix. I asked her a few times to keep him on her property. I told her that he was scaring people, including children and she said "He's territorial but harmless." (territorial does not equal harmless and the front of MY property is NOT his territory!)

I called animal control 4x in a short time frame. Each time they came out, fined her and finally the last time they took the dog and basically impounded it for the weekend. They made her get a run for her front yard. If the dog is ever loose again, they will remove it from her permanently. She did come down and scream at me, to which I told her that I warned her and if she was going to be a nuisance I would call the cops and have her AND her yippy dog taken away. (she was carrying the dog and had let him down).

Never had another issue again.

Cujo: vicious dog from a Stephen King book made into a movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grDQCjs3WV4
coolconfidentme 03:48 AM 07-30-2014
My DC neighbor had an aggressive dog that would get out, all the neighbors were afraid of him. Once I said, "Heads up J. Your dog almost bite the boy across the street. I can't let it go that far with the kids over here. I'm sure you understand." I didn't elaborate & I didn't want to go to war. I called animal control from that point on, every time the dog got out. I would also make nice to all the neighbors including him. When he brought up his dog I would say, "It's a big responsibility to have a dog. I completely understand, I have one myself." I left it at that. I wouldn't get into a debate with him. I would just nod in agreement when he talked. Acting concerned seemed to help in my case, even though I was the one calling. The dog finally found a new home & we are friendly neighbors. I got lucky.
Play Care 03:52 AM 07-30-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
My DC neighbor had an aggressive dog that would get out, all the neighbors were afraid of him. Once I said, "Heads up J. Your dog almost bite the boy across the street. I can't let it go that far with the kids over here. I'm sure you understand." I didn't elaborate & I didn't want to go to war. I called animal control from that point on, every time the dog got out. I would also make nice to all the neighbors including him. When he brought up his dog I would say, "It's a big responsibility to have a dog. I completely understand, I have one myself." I left it at that. I wouldn't get into a debate with him. I would just nod in agreement when he talked. Acting concerned seemed to help in my case, even though I was the one calling. The dog finally found a new home & we are friendly neighbors. I got lucky.

Second Home 03:55 AM 07-30-2014
Most areas have a leash law . Which means a dog must be leashe when off the owners property . Google your county / city laws and see . Call animal control as the police may not do much since it is not their responsibility .

I know that here the first time may be a warning and then you get fined . After that they take the dog and require you to fix the problem of running at large to get your dog back .

I am rural and have had a few lost dogs show up at my house , but none have showed any aggressive actions .

In your case I think many people feel a little dog is no threat ( wrong as more dog bites are from small dogs ) and the dog is most likely behaving this way because he sees your yard as his territory .

Maybe spread some pepper flakes in the area to deter him as most dogs do not like the smell . But definately look up the laws and call animal control.I am sure your dcp are not thrilled with the ankle biter charging them .
MotherNature 04:21 AM 07-30-2014
ugh. That would drive me nuts. Both the constant barking and the using my yard as its bathroom. I'd address your concerns about the lawn & the dog inimidating parents and kids w/ the neighbours. If they blow you off- Call animal control. It may piss off the neighbours, but they're not being neighbourly or responsible at all. I'd be the 'b...h that would call everytime the dog stepped in my yard. And photograph it.
DaveA 04:26 AM 07-30-2014
Do you have a dog? I know Havahart (the live trap company) has a dog repellant. I don't know how well it works, but it's a granule you shake on the border and dogs don't like the smell. If it's getting out through a hole in the fence, ask the neighbor on the other side of the fence (not the one with the dog) if you could spread it on the fence line about 10 feet on either side of the whole. Might keep it from wanting to go out the hole.

At the end of the day it's your property. Tell them to keep the dog off your yard or you have to call animal control because of the daycare. I would explain to them that you have children at your house and if one of them gets bit its could be serious $$$ for them if the parents were to sue the dogs owner.
hope 05:00 AM 07-30-2014
Call animal control and have electric fence pamphlets sent to their home. After a few citations they may give in and get one.
Naptime yet? 05:05 AM 07-30-2014
Or google "natural dog repellant" & try some of those ideas.
Cat Herder 05:30 AM 07-30-2014
Take photos of the dog on your property on different dates to fully document this is a chronic issue. THEN call animal control. Expect to go to court, rally your neighbors and have them drop the ball several times....

If animal control is of no use, call an animal rescue group and claim no knowledge of it's whereabouts.

Not everybody deserves a dog. The.End
Second Home 06:21 AM 07-30-2014
I have found that if the dog is acting threatening animal control will act .

Just let them know on XX date ( and list them ) the dog charged people while off it's owners property . Pics too would be great to help you out .
Blackcat31 06:35 AM 07-30-2014
I have issues with my neighbor's cat (using my sandbox).

We also have video cameras installed that record activity in the yard and around the house.

The first thing I did was politely ask the neighbor to please keep the cat contained to her yard as we DO have leash laws here (cats are included).

She of course, did not react kindly to the request so I simply told her that if I catch her cat on my property I will call animal control.

I ended up calling animal control. First time, they took her cat and required her to pay a fee ($35) to get the cat back. The second time (cat was not in "custody" this time) they fined her $75.

The third time she was told they would restrict her ability to have a cat if she did not follow the law.

This last time, animal control informed her that I DO have video recording surveillance so I "think" she gets it now. We shall see.

Anyways, yes...DAYCARE, I would try and capture proof of the dog behaving badly (video on your cell) and/or pictures of the dog in your yard. I would call animal control and provide them with the background and let them do their job. Call repeatedly if necessary.

eta: Cujo is a St Bernard. Stephen King used that breed because it is the EXACT opposite temperament than what is shown in the movie/book. *I'm sensitive to people assuming St. Bernards are vicious since our 225lb baby hides when the neighbors bring their 4 lb poodle over.
daycare 06:59 AM 07-30-2014
thanks for all of the responses. Looks like the animal control will be the route to go. I just have to make sure that we have one first...lol

I might start by calling the PD and ask them if we have one and if no then who do I call. I have never heard of such a thing, but then again I don't own any outside pets in my life . EVER.

The natural dog repellent is a good idea too. Maybe I can google that and see what comes us. I never knew such a thing existed. BUT I am not surprised.

I will also be sure take pics and document. Wow what a headache. I guess now why I never had these issues living at my old place, because it was HOA and they would have been fined by them too I am sure....

Cujo- ha you guys are super funny. NOw I know what that line from a moive I saw means. The guy said, "he went cujo on me..............Of course, at that time I didn't get it....lol

See, I learn something new every day on here.................

Ill let you guys know how it goes.
Mister Sir Husband 07:41 AM 07-30-2014
Personally.. I like the idea of offering to fix it for them. Only because a war with them could escalate tremendously if they decide to be difficult. People on their porch drinking beer at 9am clearly have nothing else better to do, and could easily spend that time plotting childish revenge on your daycare for turning them in. Anything from random acts of vandalism to trading in the 6 pack for a keg and really bringing down the neighborhood could cost you loads of cash later on. I'd bring them a 6 pack, have one with them and explain that your not only concerned for the kids, but also the dogs safety. If they agree, have another beer and leave.. fix the fence a couple days later. If they give ya a difficult time... turn them in, and repeat as needed.
MOM OF 4 04:31 PM 08-02-2014

Thanks in advance...
SEARCH MY POSTS. You will see what happens with neighbors in dispute...They CAN get crazy! Just be really careful if you do decide to do ANYTHING.
daycare 05:39 PM 08-02-2014
Originally Posted by MOM OF 4:
SEARCH MY POSTS. You will see what happens with neighbors in dispute...They CAN get crazy! Just be really careful if you do decide to do ANYTHING.
After lots of thought about how to deal with this, here is what I did

I had my older son catch the dog we went over and told the neighbor I just about ran over their dog I could not see it because I was not expecting it I be out. ( btw this is all made up) I told them I was so worries I or someone else would run it over and felt so horrible. I asked them if we could fix the holes in the fence so the dog won't get out and run over.

They were so happy of my offer. So yesterday morning my husband and son went over about 8 am before the heat. My husband checks it out and there are 11 holes. He tells me it's not going to be a cheap and Easy solution.
So they went to Home Depot, spent $267. They spent almost 3 hours fixing the holes with zero help from the beer drinking lanwn decoration Neigjbor.

So we leave to go on our beach vacation around 11:30 yesterday. My oldest could not clean with us as he has to work. My son called me at 8pm when he got off his shift yesterday and guess who was on our porch. Yup the dog

Then again this morning around 10am my son said he was barking at the mailman from their yard, but was out again.

Uuugfghhh I think I am going to talk to the mailman about it and see if he reports it.
Otherwise I don't know what else to do.

My husband said their backyard was way worse than the front yard an that is pretty bad.

Sorry For all the errors. I'm on my phone
hope 09:04 PM 08-02-2014
So now you are $267 in the hole and still no resolution. Next time the dog comes on your property I would bring the dog over to its owners along with a copy of your receipt and have an honest talk with them. You tried your best to fix their fence now it's their turn to either keep their dog in their yard or animal control will come. Sorry you are dealing with this.
NightOwl 11:14 PM 08-02-2014
I live in the country which will explain my suggestion. Do you have a shotgun? Buy buckshot. Yes, it's gonna STING something fierce, but it will not kill or seriously injury the dog. I feel like this is much more humane than calling animal control. If the neighbor doesn't go bail out the dog, he will likely be euthanized.

Getting hit once or twice with buckshot will make this dog extremely leery of coming into your yard. Now, if you are in city limits or a residential neighborhood, check the local laws first. Where I live in the country and not in any city limits, animal control is almost useless so we do what we have to do without bringing any true harm to the offending animal.

I am an animal lover since childhood and would have a zoo at my house if my dh would allow it, so please don't think I'm hating on animals. I try to take home every stray I come across and will feed any animal that shows up. I really think this is a viable option that you should consider, given that it's legal where you are.
Scribbles 08:18 AM 08-03-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
I live in the country which will explain my suggestion. Do you have a shotgun? Buy buckshot. Yes, it's gonna STING something fierce, but it will not kill or seriously injury the dog. I feel like this is much more humane than calling animal control. If the neighbor doesn't go bail out the dog, he will likely be euthanized.

Getting hit once or twice with buckshot will make this dog extremely leery of coming into your yard. Now, if you are in city limits or a residential neighborhood, check the local laws first. Where I live in the country and not in any city limits, animal control is almost useless so we do what we have to do without bringing any true harm to the offending animal.

I am an animal lover since childhood and would have a zoo at my house if my dh would allow it, so please don't think I'm hating on animals. I try to take home every stray I come across and will feed any animal that shows up. I really think this is a viable option that you should consider, given that it's legal where you are.
I'm sorry but this is crazy. Advising someone to shoot and animal.

Whether it actually injures or hurts the animal or not, this is never something I would recommend someone do.
Besides I think there are probably rules/laws about shooting a gun of ANY type within city limits. NOT to mention that the neighbors could easily turn around and report the provider to licensing for shooting an animal.

I am sure your heart is in the right place as you are trying to help a friend with your advice but it's just not at all the right thing to do....even in the country. There are so many other ways to solve this issue other than shooting a dog. I am also an animal lover and I'd do a million other things before I would ever resort to shooting a domestic animal.

OP, I'd stick with following the law and calling animal control as that is what they are there for. Even if that means you have to call dozens of times before seeing any action or results.
You could even utilize the court system and take the neighbor to court for costs of the fence repair, as well as sue them civilly for endangering your clients.

As a child care provider, the law does protect you as you have a right to run your business in a SAFE manner for you and your clients in the neighborhood you are in but you do NOT have a right to take a gun (even a pellet or BB gun) and shoot someone's pet.

PLEASE DO NOT DO THIS.
NightOwl 12:26 PM 08-03-2014
This is your opinion and probably lots of others too, but it is effective and very humane. She would not be shooting the dog, as in intending to mortally wound him, buckshot does NOT do that. It is used to shoo away animals who you do not want to get close to because they may bite or for animals who are extremely stubborn.
I expressly told her to check her local laws and asked if she was within city limits, so I already addressed those things in my original post.
And yes, where I live, i have every right to shoot (with a harmless substance, and when children aren't in care) any nusience animal who barks like cujo at my clients or will not stay off my property. Totally legal here. That's why I said CHECK YOUR LAWS.
coolconfidentme 03:27 AM 08-04-2014
I would make an anonymous call to animal control. You are now the nice neighbor to them. Someone else must have called.
MotherNature 04:55 AM 08-04-2014
omg. That's crazy!!! $300 of your own money, they didn't even help, and the dog's still running around? That's so beyond rude I am furious for you. It's time to involve animal control. If they don't resolve it, it'll probably get ugly, but I wish you luck.
NightOwl 05:02 AM 08-04-2014
Is it just your lawn or does the dog run the neighborhood? I'm betting he's not "fixed" or he wouldn't be so inclined to escape and roam.
Second Home 05:46 AM 08-04-2014
Is it just your lawn or does the dog run the neighborhood? I'm betting he's not "fixed" or he wouldn't be so inclined to escape and roam.
Fixed or not a dog will roam if that is what he is used to doing . It seems more like this dog sees not only his own yard but other areas as his territory and he is protecting it .

Call animal control and see what happens , you never know they may be very good at addressing problems . If the dog keeps escaping then maybe you can bring the dog to the shelter yourself if they do not come and pick it up , some shelters have a drop off kennel outside to drop off animals for after hours issues..
NightOwl 07:26 AM 08-04-2014
I have one who roams every single morning. Have no clue where he lives, but he's collared and never really bothers anyone that I'm aware of, so I just let him be. My dog is often outside and they sniff each other, but mine has an underground fence and can't follow him away.

Maybe suggest that to them?? It's so super easy. Mine is wireless and the diameter of their allowed area is adjustable. It cost about $200.
Naptime yet? 10:16 AM 08-04-2014
Can you get a cheap collar & lead & tie the dog to their front porch? Or get a tie-out thing & kept it restrained? Or suggest it to them, as you already told them you almost ran the dog over, maybe you saw some others almost do the same so they may want to keep the dog tied up if it keeps escaping from the yard? For sweet Rover's safety, of course.
melilley 11:17 AM 08-04-2014
People are so rude. I don't know how some people could have such disregard for other people. It doesn't matter how big or small the dog, if they are just being territorial and won't hurt people, it's disrespectful! I would call animal control as well, but I wouldn't care what they thought of me.

In my state a couple of weeks ago, a man was jogging and two dogs mauled him to death. A man is dead because of irresponsible dog owners. Now the homeowners are being charged with manslaughter (I'm not sure of the exact charges). It's so sad.
spinnymarie 11:57 AM 08-04-2014
You clearly tried the nice approach. It didnt work.
Animal control should fine them each time you call, so call and call and call.
Childminder 12:06 PM 08-04-2014
Are you able to catch or confine the animal? Animal control will only come out if confined or if it has already harmed or attempted to harm someone in our county. If you catch it take it to the humane society(or have a third party do so)or your county animal control facilities and just say it was a stray that keeps coming around and you are concerned for the safety of your clients.

You "know" nothing if asked.
NightOwl 01:01 PM 08-04-2014
This doesn't work here. That's why I suggested buckshot originally. Animal control shows up HOURS after the phone call and the animal is long gone and the humane society has a 3 month waiting list. So we have no choice but to put up with it or take action ourselves. I suppose that's why it's legal here.

Eta: if your local services function better than mine, then by all means use them as childminder said!
daycare 01:21 PM 08-04-2014
So my very furious husband had one of his co-workers catch the dog this morning and drop it off at the county humane society.

I guess I am not going to be dealing with it. My husband is so mad and I have never seen him like this before.

As someone mentioned not every one should own a dog and clearly these people are ones that should not.

I got home really late last night from my vacation and YUP on my lawn taking his daily CRAP..............I took a pic of it, the dog going, not the actual remaiins....lol
daycare 01:37 PM 08-04-2014
So my very furious husband had one of his co-workers catch the dog this morning and drop it off at the county humane society.

I guess I am not going to be dealing with it. My husband is so mad and I have never seen him like this before.

As someone mentioned not every one should own a dog and clearly these people are ones that should not.

I got home really late last night from my vacation and YUP on my lawn taking his daily CRAP..............I took a pic of it, the dog going, not the actual remaiins....lol
so as of right now I don't know anything. If they come and ask me if I have seen their dog, I will say that I have not seen the dog since last night when it was pooping on my lawn. Which is the TRUTH.

Then I wash my hands of it and wait to see what happens.3

Yes. LMAO only "I" quote myself...lol I meant to edit......
NightOwl 01:39 PM 08-04-2014
Ya! Was someone there to receive the dog at the shelter? I hope so. Either way... Ya!!

Eta: I thought you said last night was when they delivered the dog. My bad. I'm sure there was someone there this morning.
daycare 01:42 PM 08-04-2014
Ya! Was someone there to receive the dog at the shelter? I hope so. Either way... Ya!!

Eta: I thought you said last night was when they delivered the dog. My bad. I'm sure there was someone there this morning.
I honestly don't know. I have not had the chance to ask my husband what exactly happened when his co-worker took the dog in. I am assuming that someone must have accepted it or it was dropped in a ( I don't know the name for it) dog box?????
TwinKristi 02:17 PM 08-04-2014
You did far more than you were obligated to do so kudos there. We have a neighborhood dog who does his business on our yard often. I have called animal control but it knows to run back home when anyone comes after it. It makes me so mad but nothing I can do! If it was a barker or attacked one of kids or clients I would have taken it to animal control myself.

Obviously Wednesday lives somewhere many of us don't and wouldn't understand. In the area daycare lives (very close to me) that's not something anyone would be able to do. We would call the authorities and let them handle it. The police would probably get called on someone shooting a dog with anything.
NightOwl 07:45 PM 08-04-2014
I'm in alabama, deep in the country. Lol. It is a common occurrence here. My own was shot at with buckshot by my neighbor before we bought the wireless fence for her. But she (we) kind of deserved it for not doing it sooner. She had all 5 of his horses herded into a corner of his pasture. I'd be angry too if I was him.
AmyKidsCo 08:00 PM 08-04-2014
I understand not wanting your neighbors to go crazy on you, but the bottom line is it's a LIABILITY issue. If one of the dck or dcp was bitten you could be SUED and considered liable because you knew the dog routinely got out.

I think the humane society was a good idea. We have leash laws here so I'd call the police for a roaming dog - if you don't have leash laws I think you should call the police if there are any further problems.
coolconfidentme 03:49 AM 08-05-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I understand not wanting your neighbors to go crazy on you, but the bottom line is it's a LIABILITY issue. If one of the dck or dcp was bitten you could be SUED and considered liable because you knew the dog routinely got out.

I think the humane society was a good idea. We have leash laws here so I'd call the police for a roaming dog - if you don't have leash laws I think you should call the police if there are any further problems.
I walk/run down my county road. A neighbor a mile or so down the road recently got a dog who barks uncontrollably while constantly advancing toward me. The other day the owner was yelling at it & I said to him, "I hope he doesn't bite. I would hate to see you & your dog on the wrong end of a lawsuit." He told me that wasn't very neighborly. I replied, "There is nothing neighborly about letting your dog roam the neighborhood barking aggressively at people on the road. "

The moral to the story; Being a good neighbor goes both ways.
daycarediva 04:08 AM 08-05-2014
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
I walk/run down my county road. A neighbor a mile or so down the road recently got a dog who barks uncontrollably while constantly advancing toward me. The other day the owner was yelling at it & I said to him, "I hope he doesn't bite. I would hate to see you & your dog on the wrong end of a lawsuit." He told me that wasn't very neighborly. I replied, "There is nothing neighborly about letting your dog roam the neighborhood barking aggressively at people on the road. "

The moral to the story; Being a good neighbor goes both ways.

Look up dog bite laws in California. Call animal control for advice.

In NY, the owner gets 'one free bite' before he is liable. My dd was viciously attacked, scarred for life and has muscle damage. We received not a cent-not even medical. I was told in court that the law forbid a judgment. The lawyer told me that the only person LEGALLY liable was the one watching the child at the time--- my Mother.
coolconfidentme 04:49 AM 08-05-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

Look up dog bite laws in California. Call animal control for advice.

In NY, the owner gets 'one free bite' before he is liable. My dd was viciously attacked, scarred for life and has muscle damage. We received not a cent-not even medical. I was told in court that the law forbid a judgment. The lawyer told me that the only person LEGALLY liable was the one watching the child at the time--- my Mother.
In IN, the pet owner is in violation of the law for allowing a dog to roam free & libel for any injury created. I'm a pet owner.., a dog, cat & 2 horses. It's really not that hard to contain & train your animal.
Tags:dog problem, neighbor issue
Reply Up