Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Separate Pickup for Each/Same Family
Winker 07:14 PM 08-27-2018
I have two children I watch and mom brings each one into the house each morning separately. Other than her coming in with snow all over twice, it's not such a big deal. The pickup is more of a problem. Mom comes to the door and then proceeds to go out and buckle the child in, which seems to take forever and I am captive to sit and wait with the other one who is bundled up and antsy to go. For some reason I guess it just bugs me because I feel so done by that point and I have to just sit around twiddling my thumbs. At a center I would think you just have to drag them out and get in the car same as if you go grocery shopping. Because it is only those two that I watch, I have fealt that it was the least I could do when the 2 1/2 year old was much younger, but now that he is very sturdy and capable (he's a big kid) I just wish that both kids and the diaper bag would all go out the door at the same time.

When it's spring, summer or fall I try to be outside when she comes. That helps. Unless the two year old decides to run away on her at the last minute in which event I felt guilty for not hanging on to him and seeing it through (and then I'm annoyed when she leaves).

I think doing daycare in my home makes me feel like a captive audience (especially because I don't have a reason like other daycare kids to get back to).

Also, when the kids come in the morning the 2 1/2 year old more than likely is sleeping in his carseat and she brings him in and wants to hand this big heavy kid to me like he is an infant because he is asleep wrapped up in a blanket with no coat. He is tired I suppose because the parents don't get him to bed at night according to mom and she usually leaves my house at 5:00 and takes them to eat and to play in a fadt food indoor playland for several hours each night.
Laugh and Learn 09:40 PM 08-27-2018
At one point I had only two also,and they did the same thing! When Mom came to pick up, I started walking out with her, holding the younger ones hand, also 2. Sure it was a pain to get my jacket and get cold or wet depending on the weather but it was better than waiting around. It really helped speed up the process!
Josiegirl 02:43 AM 08-28-2018
How old is the other one? Maybe you could have her leave dcks' stuff at dc so a diaper bag wouldn't be necessary then she's got 2 hands to bring them out. It's going to be a hard habit to stop without making her wonder why. But yeh, that would annoy me too. 2 1/2 yo should be walking in and out along with sibling. Maybe you could start a conversation like 'to make this more convenient for both of us, why don't we plan on leaving diapers/wipes/extra clothes(whatever you need) here to eliminate the need for a diaper bag, then you can bring both children in 1 trip.' Heck, if need be, she can carry the youngest and then hold the others' hand.
Blackcat31 06:00 AM 08-28-2018
Originally Posted by Winker:
I have two children I watch and mom brings each one into the house each morning separately. Other than her coming in with snow all over twice, it's not such a big deal. The pickup is more of a problem. Mom comes to the door and then proceeds to go out and buckle the child in, which seems to take forever and I am captive to sit and wait with the other one who is bundled up and antsy to go. For some reason I guess it just bugs me because I feel so done by that point and I have to just sit around twiddling my thumbs. At a center I would think you just have to drag them out and get in the car same as if you go grocery shopping. Because it is only those two that I watch, I have fealt that it was the least I could do when the 2 1/2 year old was much younger, but now that he is very sturdy and capable (he's a big kid) I just wish that both kids and the diaper bag would all go out the door at the same time.

When it's spring, summer or fall I try to be outside when she comes. That helps. Unless the two year old decides to run away on her at the last minute in which event I felt guilty for not hanging on to him and seeing it through (and then I'm annoyed when she leaves).

I think doing daycare in my home makes me feel like a captive audience (especially because I don't have a reason like other daycare kids to get back to).

Also, when the kids come in the morning the 2 1/2 year old more than likely is sleeping in his carseat and she brings him in and wants to hand this big heavy kid to me like he is an infant because he is asleep wrapped up in a blanket with no coat. He is tired I suppose because the parents don't get him to bed at night according to mom and she usually leaves my house at 5:00 and takes them to eat and to play in a fadt food indoor playland for several hours each night.
How old are these children.

I would never allow a parent to leave a child unattended in the car while she is not. I can see this being a huge liability in the winter months when most cars are left running in the cold.

I would use that as logic as to why she must take BOTH children when entering/exiting your home.

Use licensing as an excuse if necessary. (I don't recall the exact rule but I am pretty sure you could be cited for allowing this...)

Write up a short note about expectations and rules for drop off and pick up mentioning that children under age 5 must be accompanied to and from care and not left in vehicles unsupervised.

Then verbally explain to her that she must take BOTH children at one time and manage HER children during periods of transition just as she would like you said at the grocery store or any other similar place.
Snowmom 07:44 AM 08-28-2018
What does she do when she goes to the store?

Leave one kid in the car while strapping her infant to the cart inside and walk back out?

Beyond what the others said, I'd say it's creating unnecessary stress on the children. Come together as a family, leave together as a family.
Ariana 08:45 AM 08-28-2018
She obviously does not take them anywhere so this must be why they run. These kids can walk right? This is just so absurd! Sorry no advice because I feel like there is not much you can do short of carrying the other kid out for her.

So weird
284878 09:32 AM 08-28-2018
I agree with BC, I was going to post something similar.
Unregistered 10:02 AM 08-28-2018
My elderly neighbor was in chuckling away one evening and asked how is that I can get 5 kids out the door, get 4 loaded in the stroller, do the school run and get 5 back in the house with them never being out of arms reach during transitions. He watches the same kids getting picked up at night out in sets of 2 or solo, and running down the sidewalk, in neighbors yards, sometimes in the street, hollering and running from mom.

If I have no other children in care and things are looking like a chaotic pick up, I have no problem assisting taking one child up & out, but will not place them in the car.
LysesKids 10:37 AM 08-28-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
My elderly neighbor was in chuckling away one evening and asked how is that I can get 5 kids out the door, get 4 loaded in the stroller, do the school run and get 5 back in the house with them never being out of arms reach during transitions. He watches the same kids getting picked up at night out in sets of 2 or solo, and running down the sidewalk, in neighbors yards, sometimes in the street, hollering and running from mom.

If I have no other children in care and things are looking like a chaotic pick up, I have no problem assisting taking one child up & out, but will not place them in the car.
yeah my neighbors have seen out I can get 4 under 18 month old babies in & out of my house daily for playtime, but some of the parents haven't figured out how to wrangle the little plus an older child in and out here lol (I get 2nd babes from families even if it means 2 separate daycares for the kids... I do not take preschool age or older); We also have it set up that in emergency , I set off my car alarm & hit the window alarm on the way out the front door... my neighbors know to come help if that was to happen
hwichlaz 01:35 PM 08-28-2018
Luckily, walking back an forth between car and house with one kid at a time is okay here. My current set up makes it easy to take them all out at once, but at my old house, my car was parked on a busy street, so I had to do two at a time, one for each hand. I did have a security screen door though....so I left that closed and had them all sitting in the entry way watching me through the screen.

Now, though, I have a gravel driveway with a gate across it, so all I have to do is run out and close the gate, then open the front door and have them all follow me to the car. I do have to leave them all in the care while I open the gate back up though. I think common sense is important here. I’d certainly NOT allow a parent to leave a child in a running car, because Houdini was a baby once too. But I’m not going to get all het up if they are taking their child out to the car one at a time to buckle them in. Not everyone is as good at wrangling multiple kids as we are. That’s why they aren’t doing this job right?
Winker 10:32 AM 09-16-2018
Thanks for your responses. It's not that I cannot sit and wait for DCM to come and get the second child but when she is 15 minutes late (separate issue - and it does happen enough) and the child kicks and hollers when she is trying to get the carseat buckled, that few minutes turns into quite a few more and then she has to come back in the house and get the next one, it ends up tacking another 25 minutes on to the day when she is late. The drop-off always ends up being a big production as well. Brings one in all wrapped in a blanket in the winter and steps inside herself bringing snow in and thinks I should take him from her arms because he is sleeping. Then goes and gets the next one and brings him in all wrapped up and bringing more snow in.

I could walk one out as was mentioned (and I used to) but when it snows here I end up standing around waiting for her to get done with the first child. I hate to say this but maybe I just feel more efficient myself having had quite a few of my own children, and I would walk over and open the door for the four year old and while she was helping herself into the car Inwould be on the other side getting the two year old in. She just makes a big production of everything.
amberrose3dg 03:34 PM 09-16-2018
Originally Posted by Winker:
Thanks for your responses. It's not that I cannot sit and wait for DCM to come and get the second child but when she is 15 minutes late (separate issue - and it does happen enough) and the child kicks and hollers when she is trying to get the carseat buckled, that few minutes turns into quite a few more and then she has to come back in the house and get the next one, it ends up tacking another 25 minutes on to the day when she is late. The drop-off always ends up being a big production as well. Brings one in all wrapped in a blanket in the winter and steps inside herself bringing snow in and thinks I should take him from her arms because he is sleeping. Then goes and gets the next one and brings him in all wrapped up and bringing more snow in.

I could walk one out as was mentioned (and I used to) but when it snows here I end up standing around waiting for her to get done with the first child. I hate to say this but maybe I just feel more efficient myself having had quite a few of my own children, and I would walk over and open the door for the four year old and while she was helping herself into the car Inwould be on the other side getting the two year old in. She just makes a big production of everything.
Terminate! She is late 15 minutes and then adds another 10 on. Shes gonna need to figure out how to take them both to the car at the same time and be on time or she be out my door.otherwise I would bill her for the 25 minutes she takes up on my day.
redmaple 08:53 PM 09-16-2018
Have her sign out as she retrieves the 2nd child. Charge late/overtime fees based on that departure time.
Tags:pick up issues
Reply Up