Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training Question
WImom 11:33 AM 02-28-2012
I have a little DCB who is going to be 3 in April. He is potty trained at home as well as when they go on outings (he is in underwear) and at grandmas (goes there once a week). BUT at grandpas (goes there once a week) and my house he is no where near being trained.

I've sat him on the potty here but he doesn't go, just fools around. The issue now is that he is holding his pee all morning and then when falls asleep at nap it leaks through his diaper since he has so much.

This little boy has been with me since last May and until September was sooo shy and hardly said a word. So I know that has something to do with it. He's pretty talkative now and plays more with the kids so that is good.

Mom brought his sticker chart from home to use here today but it didn't help. I also left the bathroom for a minute or two incase that was it. But he still didn't go.

Anyone have any tips? or should I just keep doing what we are doing and hopefully he will just go one of these times and then not be afraid to do it? I only have two out of my 8 kids here that are still in diapers so it would be great if he'd go here too.
Michael 01:42 PM 02-28-2012
Have you tried "Shoot the Cheerios" yet? http://community.babycenter.com/post...g_the_cheerios
GretasLittleFriends 02:50 PM 02-28-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
Have you tried "Shoot the Cheerios" yet? http://community.babycenter.com/post...g_the_cheerios
I was just going to ask if you let him stand and pee, and suggest cheerios too. I'd try that and see how it works.
Ariana 07:47 AM 02-29-2012
I'm PT my 31 month old right now and she's also holding it! It's pretty normal from what I've read. I'm hoping it's a phase and when she learns to release it into the toilet she'll be good to go. I'm giving it a week and if there is no improvement we may need to give up and try again next month!!
KDC 08:35 AM 02-29-2012
Some kids are used to going in the little potty, instead of the big toilet? Or, a potty chair that goes over the actual toilet (We have an Elmo seat). New parents forget to communicate the little details such as sitting or standing, can they tuck it themselves, or need help - step stool, no step stool.

The shy ones are hard to make comfortable, especially with a handful of kids an earshot away. They wouldn't like it announced or for me to make a big deal about it. With the parents permission I was able to give a couple of m&m's for progress in the potty. I would phase it out as soon as they were comfortable. Any progress would be marked with a certificate and small roll of smarties to go home with them. This seemed to make it more fun to go at my house.

Good Luck!
daycare 08:49 AM 02-29-2012
I have has some of the strangest things with PT.

Parents would tell me well they are PT at home but not at daycare. I would always tell them that it is very common and quite normal sue to all of the distractions. BUT then I decided to find out what is different at home than here. What is being used that is different and what not.

after talking to DCP this is what I found out:

one daycare girl got special wipes to use at home that you could flush in the toilet. As soon as mom brought them it was like a switch went on and WA_LA she used the potty

Another boy was using the training toilet seat that goes ontop of the toilet. But just sitting on the regualr toilet here. As soon as DCP brought it, up same thing.

I would schedule a time to sit down with DCP and talk about a plan of action. What do they do at home. What rewards do they use and etc. YOu both have to be on the same page speaking the same language.....
WImom 11:26 AM 02-29-2012
Yeah, he uses the big potty at home but I will double check if he has a potty seat on it. I just have a potty seat that has two seats (one small, one regular) so he may not be used to that. She did just bring the same sticker chart as at home.

This is actually my first boy to potty train. I have girls myself and any other boys I've had were already potty trained so this is all new to me.
Tags:potty training, potty training question
Reply Up