Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help: How To Get 14 Mo Interested In Learning Activities?
Nextgen 03:22 PM 04-17-2013
I have a 14 mo dcb who appears to have no interest in doing any learning activities. He is the sweetest little boy, and gives me great joy. But when I am doing circle time, and we are singing songs etc. he seems to have no interest. He will not color (I mean put anything on his paper I don't expect him to fully color a picture) doesn't appear to like finger painting, storytime, or arts & crafts activities. I still read for my other children and because I know he is listening. What's amazing to me is that he loves to dance, but I need to get him interested in learning shapes, colors etc. What can I do to get him interested in any of these things mom comes in and want to know what he has learned today, and I don't want to tell her he seems to not have any interest in doing the activities. Please any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Evansmom 03:40 PM 04-17-2013
At his age I wouldn't worry about him not participating. Toddlers generally like to observe and that's probably what they should be doing. After some time he will get the hang of it and start to do what the others are doing.

Observation is an important part of development. Just explain to the mom that this is how he is learning right now.
blandino 03:57 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by Nextgen:
I have a 14 mo dcb who appears to have no interest in doing any learning activities. He is the sweetest little boy, and gives me great joy. But when I am doing circle time, and we are singing songs etc. he seems to have no interest. He will not color (I mean put anything on his paper I don't expect him to fully color a picture) doesn't appear to like finger painting, storytime, or arts & crafts activities. I still read for my other children and because I know he is listening. What's amazing to me is that he loves to dance, but I need to get him interested in learning shapes, colors etc. What can I do to get him interested in any of these things mom comes in and want to know what he has learned today, and I don't want to tell her he seems to not have any interest in doing the activities. Please any suggestions would be much appreciated.
I wouldnt worry about "getting him interested" in learning activities. He will learn just by observing you, and listening to what you say. At the most, I think you should just talk with him as he is playing, and name the colors of what he is playing with. Ie "DCB you have a green car". That should really be plenty for a 14 month old.
Crystal 04:05 PM 04-17-2013
Oh my, 14 month olds learn through their senses.....not through academia.

I suggest just allowing him to play. Nothing Else. Just Play.
Nextgen 04:08 PM 04-17-2013
Thank you both for you suggestions. I have been just talking with him, and reading stories because I do know that he is listening, and pretty soon will be asking questions. I have explained to dcm that right now at his age everything is going to be sensory skills, touching, seeing, feeling, and smelling but she asks every day, and he is her first child so I think she is just really concerned that he is learning something. I now know I'm on the right track. Again thanks so much.
Cradle2crayons 04:12 PM 04-17-2013
Sounds to me like you are doing all the right things.... My 15 month old dcg brings me books, and when I get done with the first page, she takes it and puts it back on the book shelf lol. You could make him a sensory box... Put rice in it and maybe some colored balls... And then when he reaches in and pulls one out, just tell him" oh it's the red ball, I love red" etc... They are little sponges and he is learning but just not in the same way that older kids learn
Heidi 05:21 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:

no

Here is something that may help. Share it with your dcp's...

http://families.naeyc.org/learning-a...now-about-play
Heidi 05:25 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
Sounds to me like you are doing all the right things.... My 15 month old dcg brings me books, and when I get done with the first page, she takes it and puts it back on the book shelf lol. You could make him a sensory box... Put rice in it and maybe some colored balls... And then when he reaches in and pulls one out, just tell him" oh it's the red ball, I love red" etc... They are little sponges and he is learning but just not in the same way that older kids learn

I like the way you suggested that. Too often we "quiz" children, don't you think? I like "narrating", because it's more...respectful?
daycare 05:35 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:

ditto on this....especially a boy
melilley 05:51 PM 04-17-2013
I agree with other posters! He will learn through play and his senses! My younger children will only sit for very short periods of time, but as time goes on they get more interested in circle time and other activities. In fact one of my dcb's is 18 months and when he first started coming, he wouldn't sit at all during circle, but now-only 2 months later-when I announce that it is circle time, he will put away a few toys and sit down in the area and will "sing" some songs and also read a book with us. Of course it doesn't last long, but he's getting more interested.
As for the mom in your case, I think she needs more info on how children her child's age learn. Many times parents honestly don't know and they want their children to learn things that are too advanced for them!
cheerfuldom 06:01 PM 04-17-2013
I would respectfully provide info to the mom about what my program does offer and include as well as what is age appropriate expectations of a young toddler. Anyone that is fixated on their kid learning colors/shapes/numbers/letters would not be a good fit here. I did very little "sit down and learn and do a worksheet whether you like it or not" with my oldest. We were learning by doing. I never worried about her not knowing these things. Guess what? Within 6 months of prek, she was reading and writing! Its more important to build the correct foundation for learning and a love of learning rather than focus on a kid being able to recite a few facts so a parent can brag to their friends.

If the mom is wanting to be more involved, there are other options to satisfy that need. Pictures, a daily report, a parent newsletter, a closed Facebook group with updates are all ideas that can help a parent understand what you are doing there when there isnt a product sent home. But for some parents it isnt enough. They want scribble sheets and worksheets and crafts as proof. If that is the case, it might be better for her to look for a different program.
Heidi 07:00 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
ditto on this....especially a boy
just wondering... what does gender have to do with it? ALL children learn through play and exploration, not just boys.

daycare 09:16 PM 04-17-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
just wondering... what does gender have to do with it? ALL children learn through play and exploration, not just boys.

In my experience boys tend to stay in the play stages longer than girls. Boys also seem to mature slower than girls as well. Therefore it seems as though boys often are more interested in learn through play as opposed to sitting down for a learning lesson.

I love learn through play for everyone
Play Care 05:41 AM 04-18-2013
I like the way you suggested that. Too often we "quiz" children, don't you think? I like "narrating", because it's more...respectful?
My mother has her BA in Elementary Ed. and she is always "quizzing" my kids. Drives me nuts because I feel like they think they always need to be "on" when they are with her.

No wonder they like my MIL better - she actually just reads to them, has them garden with her, takes them on bike rides, etc. All with out asking them what the square root of two is.

But I digress. I agree, academics for that age is not even appropriate. Gentle learning through play is way more effective.
Cradle2crayons 06:11 AM 04-18-2013
I had a parent like this for a 3 year old girl. I kept her two years and she's in first grade now testing very high. The mom had her in other centers and in home daycares before me who would basically print papers and slap the child into a chair and then oohs and ahhhh to mom over said papers so mom though that was learning. The girl did in fact love love worksheets and begged for them. I did print her out some though. But I finally had to sit down with mom and explain planting seeds while having a conversation with the children about planting. Colors of the flowers on the box, while talking about soil etc.... That IS learning and is much better than papers. She stared at me blankly for a while until I explained to her that if she keeps insisting her child do papers 24/7 she was going to be a burned out kindergarten child who was very unhappy. She got the point and within a week, she realized exactly how we learned and how well it was working for her daughter.... Now she thanks me every time I see her for the way her daughter is excelling in school.
Meeko 06:26 AM 04-18-2013
Sorry for constantly repeating myself.......but NAEYC has a great little pamphlet that I give to all parents at enrollment. It is called "Play is FUNdemental". It explains how children should be learning through play.

If parents get given something "official" they often accept it better. I have had some think that learning means their child will bring home worksheets each day . The pamphlet has helped me get the message across a bit better.

I also use the "apple example" when talking to parents at interview. I tell them that when learning about apples for example, I COULD give them a print out of an apple with all the parts labelled etc.......but in reality, the child learns more by us cutting up real apples, printing with some of them, eating some raw and then making an apple pie with some etc.

A worksheet would be "school". But by having fun, they would learn MORE.

You can order the NAEYC pamphlet very cheaply from their web site.
LK5kids 06:43 AM 04-18-2013
He is learning each and every day! He is doing exactly what he is suppose to be doing!!! A 14 mo. old has no use for colors and shapes in the context of memorizing and verbalizing their names. There is plenty of time for that! The 14 mo old I have loves to sit on my lap each day and look at books but only watches on and off during story time and is just doing his own thing around the room.

Also, take a que from him and put on music often. I have shaker eggs and all the kids love to dance and shake those, including the 14 mo old.

He has been here on planet earth for a VERY short time.....give him time to explore and play. Everything is new and exciting to kids and the world is a fascinating and wonderful place!

Play, play, play....that is the order of the day!

Isn't it Sweden that is play based until age 7?
Cradle2crayons 06:51 AM 04-18-2013
I always use my own son for examples to parents who are worksheet obsessed. He's never done the first worksheet. He's almost five and will be starting k in August. He knows all of his numbers, letters, colors, shapes, etc. he cal also add in his head and subtract from his brain too. I know this not because I've quizzed him, but because I've heard him say more than once " ah man I've eaten five of my fruit snacks so there's only five left" because he already knew there were ten to begin with. Once he's started k, he will get his share of worksheets, but until then, I want him to just be a kid.
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 04-18-2013
Here is a couple other pdf files about the importance of play and both can be printed off and used as a handout for parents

http://www.naeyc.org/files/tyc/file/...%20Handout.pdf
http://www.allianceforchildhood.org/...fact_sheet.pdf
Heidi 08:46 AM 04-18-2013
Originally Posted by LK5kids:
He is learning each and every day! He is doing exactly what he is suppose to be doing!!! A 14 mo. old has no use for colors and shapes in the context of memorizing and verbalizing their names. There is plenty of time for that! The 14 mo old I have loves to sit on my lap each day and look at books but only watches on and off during story time and is just doing his own thing around the room.

Also, take a que from him and put on music often. I have shaker eggs and all the kids love to dance and shake those, including the 14 mo old.

He has been here on planet earth for a VERY short time.....give him time to explore and play. Everything is new and exciting to kids and the world is a fascinating and wonderful place!

Play, play, play....that is the order of the day!

Isn't it Sweden that is play based until age 7?
Finland.... I LOVE Finlands educational philosophy!
Blackcat31 08:52 AM 04-18-2013
Finland.... I LOVE Finlands educational philosophy!
I am a Finlander!

My grandmother (still living) was born and raised in Finland. She came to the US as a young adult.

My own mother spoke Finnish until she went to Kindergarten.

I spent ALOT of time while growing up with my grandmother.

She lives in Finalyson MN ( )

*....and yes, I say "sow-nah" NOT "sawna"
Reply Up