Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anatomically Correct Dolls?
Unregistered 10:30 AM 12-06-2015
I want to invest in some nicer quality washable cloth dolls. I really like the Ruben's Barn baby dolls, which are anatomically correct and just incredibly detailed. I personally think anatomically correct dolls are great for kids, for developing a good body image and for education.

I am concerned that parents may find it inappropriate, however. I am wary of buying anything that might scare away clients.
Mad_Pistachio 10:48 AM 12-06-2015
I can't answer for everyone, but I've never seen those until right now (had to google the pictures), and I want one.
LysesKids 12:04 PM 12-06-2015
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
I can't answer for everyone, but I've never seen those until right now (had to google the pictures), and I want one.
THIS; I want the baby dolls lol...
Play Care 12:39 PM 12-06-2015
I'll be the odd man out (and probably sound like an old fuddy duddy in the process )

But I wouldn't buy those for my day care.
My own kids, yes. Day care, no.

I can see it turning off some of my better quality families (i.e. The ones who pay in full on time without issues, lol) they tend to be more conservative. My area is also pretty conservative as a whole, so I could see it becoming the town joke

I am also matter of fact about body parts and such. Youll never hear me calling to anything other than what it is - boys don't have "fire hoses" girls don't have "peaches" or "ha-has" but I guess the dolls would just be going too far. As it is we can pretend the doll is whatever sex we want, because of the absence of genitals.
midaycare 01:09 PM 12-06-2015
Originally Posted by Play Care:
I'll be the odd man out (and probably sound like an old fuddy duddy in the process )

I can see it turning off some of my better quality families (i.e. The ones who pay in full on time without issues, lol) they tend to be more conservative. My area is also pretty conservative as a whole, so I could see it becoming the town joke

I am also matter of fact about body parts and such. Youll never hear me calling to anything other than what it is - boys don't have "fire hoses" girls don't have "peaches" or "ha-has" but I guess the dolls would just be going too far. As it is we can pretend the doll is whatever sex we want, because of the absence of genitals.
This is me. I live in a conservative area, so I have to be careful. But yeah, I call parts what they are and I'm certainly not shy.
Blackcat31 01:56 PM 12-06-2015
Lol! I have several of these dolls (not the brand but anatomically correct) and honestly the kids don't treat them any differently than the regular dolls. Most have never commented or said a word.

The kids are playing to play house and be pretend parents not so they can see "stuff"... Kwim?

I have them because one of my philosophies is to have toys/activities/equipment that mirrors real life as much as possible and these dolls fit that ideal.
Preschool/daycare teacher 07:35 PM 12-06-2015
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
Mad_Pistachio, I was curious and wanted to do a search to see what that brand of anatomically correct baby doll looks like, but I came across your profile picture in the "images" results. Just thought you'd like to know...
here's a link to the page of results I got, and where I saw your profile picture:https://www.google.com/search?q=rube...HQ9ABk4QsAQILQ
Blackcat31 07:48 PM 12-06-2015
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
Mad_Pistachio, I was curious and wanted to do a search to see what that brand of anatomically correct baby doll looks like, but I came across your profile picture in the "images" results. Just thought you'd like to know...
here's a link to the page of results I got, and where I saw your profile picture:https://www.google.com/search?q=rube...HQ9ABk4QsAQILQ

If you scroll down to the very bottom of your search page (from your link) and scroll past mad pistachio and you'll find the Daycare . com logo too...
DaveA 04:52 AM 12-07-2015
I've had them in both center and home classrooms (don't have any at the moment) and never had a issue with kids or parents about them. To the kids it's a doll.
Ariana 10:46 AM 12-07-2015
I would buy them and the centre where we worked had them. I would think it weird that someone would have a problem with it.
Play Care 10:59 AM 12-07-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
This is me. I live in a conservative area, so I have to be careful. But yeah, I call parts what they are and I'm certainly not shy.

I know none of my under 5 kiddos would bat an eye, they see me changing diapers.

I could see issues with my school aged boys. Granted I would handle if should it happen, but that makes more work for me and I'm lazy

I can totally see some of my parents being weird about it. Which always surprises me as I have a pretty educated clientele.

Oh well, different strokes.
Blackcat31 11:02 AM 12-07-2015

I could see issues with my school aged boys.

If I had 5-8 yr olds (especially boys) in care I might have a different answer
Unregistered 11:25 PM 12-07-2015

I could see issues with my school aged boys. Granted I would handle if should it happen, but that makes more work for me and I'm lazy
Hah! I usually only have infants to 3 years, my town has very good preschool and after school programs so they move on at that point
daycarediva 10:46 AM 12-08-2015

I know none of my under 5 kiddos would bat an eye, they see me changing diapers.

I can totally see some of my parents being weird about it. Which always surprises me as I have a pretty educated clientele.

Oh well, different strokes.
yup.

I also have predominantly college educated clients, and this wouldn't go over well at ALL. I am in a liberal, crunchy granola area, but they all are so hyper protective it's crazy. They cringe at my proper genital wording.

Took me forever to figure out that dcg had to go potty, she would say "It's time for my kitty."

No dcg, it's not time for kitties.
*tears* "but I NEED TO GO!"

My face at pick up. REALLY? JUST, REALLY?!

And apparantly I am an IDIOT, because dh made the adult connection to kitty for me later that night.
Rockgirl 10:51 AM 12-08-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
yup.

I also have predominantly college educated clients, and this wouldn't go over well at ALL. I am in a liberal, crunchy granola area, but they all are so hyper protective it's crazy. They cringe at my proper genital wording.

Took me forever to figure out that dcg had to go potty, she would say "It's time for my kitty."

And apparantly I am an IDIOT, because dh made the adult connection to kitty for me later that night.
I am blown away that her parents thought THAT sounded better than, "I need to go potty." Wow!
Play Care 11:03 AM 12-08-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
yup.

OMG, yes! My one teacher mom has her DD calling it her "ha-ha" (yes, I used a real example in my op )
I said I didn't see anything funny about a v a g i n a
But really, how is ha ha better than the real term?!
daycarediva 11:05 AM 12-08-2015
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I am blown away that her parents thought THAT sounded better than, "I need to go potty." Wow!
I was blown away (after dh explained it to me) soooo inappropriate!

OMG, yes! My one teacher mom has her DD calling it her "ha-ha" (yes, I used a real example in my op )
I do NOT get it. Then the kids go to school and learn the real words and they're SOOOO funny.
auntymimi 11:08 AM 12-08-2015
One of my kids calls hers a monkey. Where would you even come up with that?
Unregistered 03:52 PM 12-08-2015
This reminds me of when my son was sad saying, "I wish I had a vuluvas" because I told him girls have vulvas and boys have penises. haha...

In fact, many, many adults (including parents and teachers) don't know that the outside genitalia of a woman is called the vulva (not a vagina) and is what would correlate to a penis (boy's outside genitalia).

Sadly, all these people teaching kids to say "kitties" and "ha has" have completely disregarded the female anatomy. Which, in my opinion, is a major contributor to our inequality problem! Usually boys privates aren't a shame or embarrassment (sometimes there are nicknames for those too, I'll admit, but not the way girl's are).
Lorna 04:50 PM 12-08-2015
Never seen those before. Yes I probably would for my own kids but not daycare.
Hunni Bee 05:43 PM 12-08-2015
They are so cute! I would like to get one for DD, but she doesn't play with dolls consistently enough for one that expensive. She only loves her creepy $10 Lalaloopsy doll...and NOT the expensive Baby Alive that I searched the world for so it would resemble her.

Maybe in a couple years.

But I would totally get those for a daycare. Stuff like that chips away at the taboo of women's bodies, and little girls need that. Little boys too.
Play Care 03:20 AM 12-09-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
This reminds me of when my son was sad saying, "I wish I had a vuluvas" because I told him girls have vulvas and boys have penises. haha...

In fact, many, many adults (including parents and teachers) don't know that the outside genitalia of a woman is called the vulva (not a vagina) and is what would correlate to a penis (boy's outside genitalia).

Sadly, all these people teaching kids to say "kitties" and "ha has" have completely disregarded the female anatomy. Which, in my opinion, is a major contributor to our inequality problem! Usually boys privates aren't a shame or embarrassment (sometimes there are nicknames for those too, I'll admit, but not the way girl's are).
The ironic thing was as I typed out vagina I thought to myself "well technically she either meant her vulva/ureathra or her anus" as the issue was her not wiping well.

I think the issue is that there are many more parts with girls. I'll give a pass to a parent who says "bottom" to encompass the area as vulva could mean it hurts when they urinate (urethra) or they have a yeast infection (vagaina) or they fell on and banged themselves and their labia is swollen. Or it could mean they didn't wipe well after a BM and their anus is sore (which is a completely different area) with a penis it's easy because "my penis hurts" is pretty straightforward.
But made up names drive me nuts because in group care there is no way to know what's what.
Mad_Pistachio 06:30 AM 12-09-2015
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
it's probably because I responded in this topic
it's okay. once my picture is online out in the open, it is bound to pop up in places now and then it's not like it shows me drunk naked dancing on the table (I deleted that one).
Mad_Pistachio 06:35 AM 12-09-2015
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
One of my kids calls hers a monkey. Where would you even come up with that?
don't know about monkey, but "kitty" is probably a PC version of the P-word sorry, hope kids don't see this topic.

by the way, what is the correct English name for the lady parts? I know penis/testicles for man's, but, for instance, vagina is only one part (and there is also clitoris, labia, cervix, and all that good stuff in there), and what do you call the whole thing in one word? my native language only has the P-word/kitty/monkey words for it, and the anatomical term is totally absent... and no, I am not kidding, I really don't know.

PS. the P-word for the "kitty" was autocorrected. I apologize, I didn't know it was not appropriate.
Unregistered 08:54 AM 12-09-2015
Vulva is the correct word for the external genitalia of a female

Thanks everyone for responding! This gives me some stuff to think about. I need to decide if following what I philosophically think is best is worth potentially turning off some clients. Fortunately, I live in an area that has a good mix of conservative and liberal
Annalee 09:08 AM 12-09-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

If I had 5-8 yr olds (especially boys) in care I might have a different answer
I have two 5 yr old boys and they have enlightened the class on what dad told them to do if "this happens"....but to go to the bathroom to do it! I can't wait till they go to kindy next year
Blackcat31 09:11 AM 12-09-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I need to decide if following what I philosophically think is best is worth potentially turning off some clients.
A little off topic but I wanted to say that as a long time child care provider, I will say that I think that ^ is a good thing.

I prefer to enroll ONLY those clients that share the same philosophical beliefs I have. Makes the working relationship run smoothly and openly.

If a client disagreed with my beliefs and/or practices in regards to child care etc, then they are a client I prefer not to have.
Mad_Pistachio 06:16 PM 12-09-2015
the topic brought an incident from my nanny days to my memory...
so, I went back to work when my daughter was 2 months old, and she came with me. the boy I was in charge of was 6. as I was changing the 100500-th diaper, he looked at her and asked, "you baby doesn't have a penis yet?" his parents are both doctors. yeah, good times...

we had a joke going around for a while.
a boy on a playground comes up to a girl, pulls his pants down, and says, "see? and you don't have one!" a girl cries and runs back home, a boy is satisfied. next day, he does the same: pulls pants down and says, "see? you still don't have one!" a girl snaps back, "whatever! my Mom says when I grow up, I can have hundreds of those!"

sorry. those things can trigger weird memories
Tags:anatomically correct, dolls naked
Reply Up