Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Takesies Backsies!
TXhomedaycare 11:32 AM 11-24-2015
I have a dcb 2 yo that is here all the time. His parents bring him no matter what. His mom brought him when he had a double ear infection at the hospital the night before He is a sweet boy but I get the feeling from his parents that they don't want to spend time with him. Dad works 8 days on and 3 days off and I know his mom takes off work to be with the dad but they bring him anyway. Dad is off for 2 weeks and has brought dcb on time and picked him up right at 6 pm yesterday (when I close). He told me he is going to keep him home today and Wednesday and they will see me next week. 1 I was happy for dcb so he can spend time with his dad and 2 so I can see if he will get better at home without as many germs to compete with. Since dcb was going to be out today and I have another child on vacation the next 2 weeks I only have 1 child besides my own 2. I decided to take my 18 month old to his doctor appointment this morning and I let the parent of the one child that I do have scheduled know that I would be back by 10 at the latest. I know his dad is off today and they usually don't come until 10 anyway. I asked my husband to watch my older son and that if dcb showed up early or I am not back I time to watch dcb. My husband watches the kids when I go out which is rare. Well guess who shows up ready for breakfast? Dcb who was not coming today according to his dad yesterday. I did not make breakfast and I was not home when his mom showed up. Dcm said they changed their mind and sent him in the house with a balloon to play with. I was very upset when my husband called me at the doctors office with the news. My question is what is your policy on this and how can I say it professionally to dcm that I need a heads up because if my husband was put or we made plans based on him not bein here that would have been a problem? I was very fustrated that he was here because I go through boxes of tissues on this kid like crazy and I was really looking forward to my day with no runny nose. He also barely takes a nap so I have to keep hi quite during nap time and all my other kids are sleepers. Oh well I just need to know how to avoid this going forward. She has paid for the care but if you say your not coming I have things I can do instead.
Blackcat31 11:39 AM 11-24-2015
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
I have a dcb 2 yo that is here all the time. His parents bring him no matter what. His mom brought him when he had a double ear infection at the hospital the night before He is a sweet boy but I get the feeling from his parents that they don't want to spend time with him. Dad works 8 days on and 3 days off and I know his mom takes off work to be with the dad but they bring him anyway. Dad is off for 2 weeks and has brought dcb on time and picked him up right at 6 pm yesterday (when I close). He told me he is going to keep him home today and Wednesday and they will see me next week. 1 I was happy for dcb so he can spend time with his dad and 2 so I can see if he will get better at home without as many germs to compete with. Since dcb was going to be out today and I have another child on vacation the next 2 weeks I only have 1 child besides my own 2. I decided to take my 18 month old to his doctor appointment this morning and I let the parent of the one child that I do have scheduled know that I would be back by 10 at the latest. I know his dad is off today and they usually don't come until 10 anyway. I asked my husband to watch my older son and that if dcb showed up early or I am not back I time to watch dcb. My husband watches the kids when I go out which is rare. Well guess who shows up ready for breakfast? Dcb who was not coming today according to his dad yesterday. I did not make breakfast and I was not home when his mom showed up. Dcm said they changed their mind and sent him in the house with a balloon to play with. I was very upset when my husband called me at the doctors office with the news. My question is what is your policy on this and how can I say it professionally to dcm that I need a heads up because if my husband was put or we made plans based on him not bein here that would have been a problem? I was very fustrated that he was here because I go through boxes of tissues on this kid like crazy and I was really looking forward to my day with no runny nose. He also barely takes a nap so I have to keep hi quite during nap time and all my other kids are sleepers. Oh well I just need to know how to avoid this going forward. She has paid for the care but if you say your not coming I have things I can do instead.
I would have called mom and had her come back and get him.

Once a parent tells me their child is off, they are OFF and will NOT be scheduled to attend care unless something important has come up AND I've talked with the parent and okayed it.

I would outright tell mom that you need a written schedule and that you follow that schedule for all meals and activities so ANY changes to that schedule (both calling off and adding additional days) needs to be approved by YOU.

I would have been livid that mom showed up with the child without contacting you first. Even if you'd have been home.
NillaWafers 01:56 PM 11-24-2015
I would have told her too bad. How disrespectful! They must think you sit around all day and wait for her kid to show up!!

I would just email her and say in the future that if they say they will be keeping him home, there is no room to take it back because you make planning decisions (meals, curriculum) on this information. I kinda wish you had ALL been gone and they showed up without you there. Tough luck cookie!
Sunchimes 02:37 PM 11-24-2015
I'm still bogged down at giving a 2 year old a balloon.
midaycare 02:46 PM 11-24-2015
I don't knownif I could deal with a mom and dad like that. Kudos to you!

I would not have accepted dcb. Since you were at the doctor's, I would have told my hubby to have dcm pick him up.
mommyneedsadayoff 02:53 PM 11-24-2015
Since they are suppose to be gone tomorrow, I would make sure to be gone (your husband too) or just not answer the door!

It is very rude and I would have made mom pick up too. I would say you should email or text, but at the same time, then they may never tell you they plan to keep him home, so they have an "out", but it is up to you if you want to let them know they need 24 hour approval to change schedules in the future. Still, though, just rude.
Ariana 04:16 PM 11-24-2015
Personally I would terminate on the spot. Mainly because I wasn't at home and they felt it was perfectly ok to leave their son with my husband WHO DOES THAT!!!? It is putting my husband in a VERY awkward situation. I know your husband sometimes watches the kids but like you said it is rare and I am sure he is prepared.

If someone showed up who previously said they weren't coming I don't answer my door.
284878 04:34 AM 11-25-2015
I interviewed a woman for a drop in spot this summer. She made a comment about wanting to come on x day. There was no confirmation on date or time and no payment to prepay. When x day rolled around, I had no other kids that day, so I left at eleven. I went shopping and to the farmers market. My neighbor/ father called around noon and told me there was a woman with infant at my door. I told him, thanks for letting me know but to not engage in conversation.
She called me, I explained that I did not have a conformation for the day or a time so I did not expect her.
If I had been home, I would not of answered the door for her, she was not expected.
auntymimi 04:47 AM 11-25-2015
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Personally I would terminate on the spot. Mainly because I wasn't at home and they felt it was perfectly ok to leave their son with my husband WHO DOES THAT!!!? It is putting my husband in a VERY awkward situation. I know your husband sometimes watches the kids but like you said it is rare and I am sure he is prepared.

If someone showed up who previously said they weren't coming I don't answer my door.
I'd like to see somebody drop their kid off on my husband, lol! Homey don't play that!
Play Care 06:55 AM 11-25-2015
I actually have it in my contract that if a child is called out or I'm told they won't be here, then they are out for the day, period. Mostly because transport to preschool and we are in and out - I don't have time for the "will they or won't they" show.
Tags:disrespectful
Reply Up