Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I'm Drowning in Stuff!
Sunchimes 08:43 AM 12-17-2015
It has finally reached the point that I need help. How do you organize crafting supplies? There is so much-glitter, sequiny things, little magnets, feathers, craft sticks-large-small-colored, pony beads, different size letters, a dozen kinds of themed foam stickers, regular stickers, pipe cleaners, the list goes on and on. I didn't realize how bad it was until I started Christmas crafts. I can't find things that I know I have, so I ended up buying more. I've tried the plastic boxes of all sizes, but they take so much space. I put things in ziploc bags with o-rings, hung from a glove display tree. That worked really well until the cats made it their daily goal to climb it. I have an old house with only 2 closets, so I don't have any place to hide stuff. The disorganization is driving me crazy.

How do you handle it?
childcaremom 08:50 AM 12-17-2015
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
It has finally reached the point that I need help. How do you organize crafting supplies? There is so much-glitter, sequiny things, little magnets, feathers, craft sticks-large-small-colored, pony beads, different size letters, a dozen kinds of themed foam stickers, regular stickers, pipe cleaners, the list goes on and on. I didn't realize how bad it was until I started Christmas crafts. I can't find things that I know I have, so I ended up buying more. I've tried the plastic boxes of all sizes, but they take so much space. I put things in ziploc bags with o-rings. That worked really well until the cats made it their daily goal to climb it. I have an old house with only 2 closets, so I don't have any place to hide stuff. The disorganization is driving me crazy.

How do you handle it?
You sound like me.

I have a plastic shelf with drawers that I keep in our crafty area. Most of the supplies fit in there. I probably need a larger one but right now I have a drawer for paper crafts (paper, scissors, glue, etc). I drawer for painting (paints, brushes, tools, etc). I have a drawer for misc (beads, sequins, stickers, etc). I have 2 large rubbermaid containers: 1 for crayons and 1 for markers. Like I said, not everything fits and I have a tote for 'extras' that I keep in my room.

I am following for some tips.
Indoorvoice 11:21 AM 12-17-2015
I just reorganized my craft shelf and know how you feel. I ended up putting all my little things like sequins, foam stickers, etc in Mason jars. So far I like it. I can see what's in there right away and they take up less room to store than those plastic boxes.
Controlled Chaos 12:21 PM 12-17-2015
I have a dresser with glass front drawers (not sure where it came from - stole it from me MIL's basement lol). I like that I can see in it and the kids can reach what they need but the top too drawers are all mine since they can't reach. 1 drawer of just paper, 1 of PreK worksheets and coloring pages etc, 1 of glue sticks/scissors/googlie eyes/yarn/stencils (those are in little plastic containers and zip lock bags inside the drawer), 1 of stickers, 1 of stamps/markers/crayons/shaving cream and other weird stuff

I like the mason jar idea, I might steal that at least for pipe cleaners and yarn and maybe pom poms
auntymimi 01:33 PM 12-17-2015
I keep daily use things in my cabinet and the rest in bins in my attic. Older kids can reach things like the crayons, stickers, coloring books and craft paper at will. My paints and playdoh I keep out of reach. We use those often, too, but they require supervision.
Attached: image.jpg (209.5 KB) 
auntymimi 01:34 PM 12-17-2015
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
I keep daily use things in my cabinet and the rest in bins in my attic. Older kids can reach things like the crayons, stickers, coloring books and craft paper at will. My paints and playdoh I keep out of reach. We use those often, too, but they require supervision.
Not sure why it's on its side! I don't know how to fix that.
Josiegirl 03:23 PM 12-17-2015
OOh I love the mason jar idea! When I finally get around to organizing my crap, I mean crafts, I'm going to do this!

I haven't looked but wonder if pinterest has any different solutions?

Sorry I can't help but I've been doing exactly the same thing as OP. And now I have 3 giant rolls of clear packing tape because I happened to find them all(in 3 different places of course) while looking for something else.
Unregistered 05:28 PM 12-17-2015
A free standing cupboard with two doors someone gave me. When it gets too full to organize I purge. I have things in bins, boxes, etc. Some things just stacked. Lightweight things on top like glue bottles. I'm a collector and realized if I haven't used it in a two/three years get rid of it! I've had to down-size. Even though I've down-sized I always have plenty!

The only disposable I keep any more are baby food jars. The kids make rhubarb jam for mother's day and sometimes I've had a hard time finding baby food jars since I don't take babies.
Snowmom 08:49 AM 12-18-2015
I bought this cabinet at Ikea. It hides things really nice. Inside, I separate crafts with scrapbook paper bins (Michaels/Hobby Lobby). They're labeled: stickers, stamps, stencils, beads, etc.
Then I have the plastic drawers that have paper and the large cups that have pencils, crayons and scissors. It gets used daily and rarely gets messier than this.
Attached: cab.jpg (56.4 KB) 
MarinaVanessa 05:39 PM 12-18-2015
I use the the plastic drawers that you can find at Target (the one's with the 3 bins), shoe-box size plastic bins etc. and I keep them in my laundry room and out of reach ... you could just keep them in your garage if you have the space.

Then I just pre-plan what I'm going to need the following day and take out what I need and have it ready and put away what I used that day. I have 2-3 of those big plastic drawers things.

Inside the drawers/bins if there are various things then I put them in plastic ziploc bags (googly eyes, stickers, ribbons etc) to keep them organized inside.

Tags:stuff
Reply Up