Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question About Breastfeeding
Francine 06:32 AM 07-27-2010
I know alot of you have breastfed your own babies so I hope you can help me out here. I was just reading on the Medela site about storing, heating etc. they say that the breastmilk can be kept at room temperature for 6-8 hours.

My question is this, my 5 month old dcb will sometimes eat 7-8 ounces and other times only 4-5 ounces. If I warm up 8 ounces and he only drinks 4 is it okay to leave it sit out at room temperature? Should I dump it? Put it back in the fridge? Can it be rewarmed?
momofsix 06:53 AM 07-27-2010
In MI its the law that I have to dump out a bottle that is not finished within one hour of beginning a feeding. Also any bottle not refrigerated for an hour must be thrown away. So if a baby eats only 3 of 8 ounces, unless he wants to eat within one hour from when he began the 3 oz, it needs to be dumped.
MarinaVanessa 08:42 AM 07-27-2010
I breastfed my daughter and have bottle fed babies breast milk here in daycare so I can tell you about my experience. You are correct in the info that you got from Medella. If it were your own child you could leave out and re-warm the bottle as long as you don't go over the time but personally I wouldn't do it more than once. For daycare though, you should ask licensing (if you are required to be licensed) or go by what mom says. I warm breast milk in the bottles that mom's give me by putting them in a pot of hot water from the faucet (before buying a bottle warmer). Afer I bought a bottle warmer I would just leave the bottle in there and take it out for feedings then put it right back if there was anything left. This way the breast milk didn't change temperatures too much. Once it got close to the 6 hours though of being in the warmer I wouldn't use it.
booroo 01:33 PM 07-27-2010
I never did.... I would prepare 3 oz at a time. I never reused a bottle if it didn't get drank up it got dumped out!!
Michael 03:44 PM 07-27-2010
More posts on Breastfeeding: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.p...=breastfeeding
Tags:breastfeeding
Reply Up