Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diaper Rash Blues
mduck 12:23 AM 01-02-2015
I watch a 12 month old dcg and my three other young children. I feel guilty over a diaper rash on my watch. Well at least I think it was on my watch as I didn't change her on arrival so I don't know. ( she had come to me one time on arrival with one and nothing was mentioned by the parents). Anyway. Whether it was because I didn't get to it on time or because her bm were especially acidic I don't know. I did text mom about the rash and she said they just introduced juice as a drink to her for the first time the day before. Also she said her mom might have given her more later. And per there instructions I was to give her juice mixed with her cereAl in the mornings. Either way ant help but feeling guilty because if I caught it soon enough maybe it would not have rashed? I have to add that I CANNOT smell poopy diapers. Sinus issues I guess. After her third poopy diaper for the day I kept checking over and over again.
Leigh 08:09 AM 01-02-2015
I'll tell you what my pediatrician tells me: Diaper rashes are normal. When kids wear diapers, their bottoms are constantly in contact with urine and feces. It's hard to accept, but it's true. Most kids will have a few, and 9-12 months is the most common time.

I cover infants in a barrier every diaper change to help prevent rashes. I use Target's Up & Up diaper cream (the orange one) and Resinol depending on the child. For clear skin with no rash, Aquaphor.

All you can do is to just do what you can.
AuntTami 10:37 AM 01-02-2015
I agree with Leigh. Diaper rashes happen.

However, while she has the rash, do NOT use baby wipes on her. Even the unscented, soft, special ones sting like the dickens on open skin like that. When I have a little with a diaper rash, I run a stack of wipes under hot hot water in the sink to get all the chemicals and any perfume out of them, and then use them(after they cool of course). You could use rags if you wanted, but I'm not a fan of having poopy rags in my wash machine. Once you run the wipes under water and get everything out of them, then they don't sting.

How long was it between drop off to when you changed her diaper? I do diaper changes every 2 hours or so, more often if I can tell that someone needs it.

I too have a very difficult time smelling poopy diapers, but my kiddos are all fairly regular and I've figured out when they usually go, and so I've tailored my morning diaper changes to around those times(since everyone seems to go in the morning). Perhaps you could start her on an hourly schedule while her body adjusts to the juice.

I would also ask mom to cut back on the juice if she doesnt normally have problems going. 1/2 and 1/2 would be a better way to start, IMHO. Juice is very acidic and it makes kids "go" so if she's already pretty regular, she's going to be "going" more with the addition of the juice, especially if its large amounts of juice.

Everyone gets cream at every diaper change around here too. We use "udder budder" for when there's no rash, and I use diaper rash cream if there is a rash, or even if they look a little red. This is going to be TMI, but I've had diaper rash as an adult, and believe me when I tell you, it's a miserable, horrible painful experience, so I do everything in my power to prevent one from ever having a chance to start! That's also how I know baby wipes sting bad enough to make you cry when you have a diaper rash!(I had read that that was true somewhere, and wanted to test the theory....It's true)
midaycare 11:11 AM 01-02-2015
Originally Posted by mduck:
I watch a 12 month old dcg and my three other young children. I feel guilty over a diaper rash on my watch. Well at least I think it was on my watch as I didn't change her on arrival so I don't know. ( she had come to me one time on arrival with one and nothing was mentioned by the parents). Anyway. Whether it was because I didn't get to it on time or because her bm were especially acidic I don't know. I did text mom about the rash and she said they just introduced juice as a drink to her for the first time the day before. Also she said her mom might have given her more later. And per there instructions I was to give her juice mixed with her cereAl in the mornings. Either way ant help but feeling guilty because if I caught it soon enough maybe it would not have rashed? I have to add that I CANNOT smell poopy diapers. Sinus issues I guess. After her third poopy diaper for the day I kept checking over and over again.
It does happen. I have one dcg with acidic bm's. I put cream on her after every single change now.

I can't smell poopy diapers either! I thought I was the only one.

I change 1 hour or before after kids get here - since not all dcm's and dcd's will change right before coming here. Then I change every 2 hours after that. And I literally will put their butt up to my nose and take a whiff throughout the day. You do what you gotta do.
AuntTami 11:23 AM 01-02-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
And I literally will put their butt up to my nose and take a whiff throughout the day. You do what you gotta do.
I do that too lol. And I'm well known for pulling a pair of pants and the diaper back from their rump and taking a peek. In public, at home, at the park, It doesn't matter to me lol. If I suspect, I check!
Leigh 11:33 AM 01-02-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I do that too lol. And I'm well known for pulling a pair of pants and the diaper back from their rump and taking a peek. In public, at home, at the park, It doesn't matter to me lol. If I suspect, I check!
Don't we all just stick our noses in there and open the backs of their diapers everywhere? I suppose it is gross to other people, but it's just life for us!
AuntTami 12:03 PM 01-02-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Don't we all just stick our noses in there and open the backs of their diapers everywhere? I suppose it is gross to other people, but it's just life for us!
My hubby get seriously grossed out when I do that. He won't even carry diapers to the garbage! My toddlers will but he won't touch them, even if it's just wet! And if I hand him a baby wipe, it can't have any snot on it or anything. It has to be used for cleaning or hands or something "not gross" lmao
holly333 03:08 PM 01-02-2015
I have a few kids that you could not miss the stench! You know what I find sad? I can tell which kid pooped by the smell, walk in a room and with one sniff know who it is.

Don't feel guilty, diaper rashes happen! Some kids are more susceptible to them than others and diet plays a huge role. I'd say it was definitely the juice if that is new for her. Does she usually poop that often?
KiddieCahoots 03:43 PM 01-02-2015
Originally Posted by AuntTami:
I agree with Leigh. Diaper rashes happen.

However, while she has the rash, do NOT use baby wipes on her. Even the unscented, soft, special ones sting like the dickens on open skin like that. When I have a little with a diaper rash, I run a stack of wipes under hot hot water in the sink to get all the chemicals and any perfume out of them, and then use them(after they cool of course). You could use rags if you wanted, but I'm not a fan of having poopy rags in my wash machine. Once you run the wipes under water and get everything out of them, then they don't sting.

How long was it between drop off to when you changed her diaper? I do diaper changes every 2 hours or so, more often if I can tell that someone needs it.

I too have a very difficult time smelling poopy diapers, but my kiddos are all fairly regular and I've figured out when they usually go, and so I've tailored my morning diaper changes to around those times(since everyone seems to go in the morning). Perhaps you could start her on an hourly schedule while her body adjusts to the juice.

I would also ask mom to cut back on the juice if she doesnt normally have problems going. 1/2 and 1/2 would be a better way to start, IMHO. Juice is very acidic and it makes kids "go" so if she's already pretty regular, she's going to be "going" more with the addition of the juice, especially if its large amounts of juice.

Everyone gets cream at every diaper change around here too. We use "udder budder" for when there's no rash, and I use diaper rash cream if there is a rash, or even if they look a little red. This is going to be TMI, but I've had diaper rash as an adult, and believe me when I tell you, it's a miserable, horrible painful experience, so I do everything in my power to prevent one from ever having a chance to start! That's also how I know baby wipes sting bad enough to make you cry when you have a diaper rash!(I had read that that was true somewhere, and wanted to test the theory....It's true)
AuntTami I'm sorry you experienced this, but for scientific purposes, we all thank you! ..............
mduck 02:03 PM 01-11-2015
Thanks so much for all the advice! I thought it was just me that couldn't smell.
Tags:diaper rash
Reply Up