Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wwyd?
daycarediva 10:12 AM 02-06-2014
Update to my potential AM nap issue. I spoke to the parents of the 'worst offenders'. 2 were VERY on board with putting to bed earlier, and beings strict about 'this is bedtime.' they apologized for it creating scheduling issues for me...and their kids came in yesterday and today awake, well rested and ready to go. Mom and Dads are both happier with NOT having a jumping around 3yo up until 11-12.

EXCEPT this guy-

DCK is 3. Full time. Comes in asleep (gets up at 6:30 and falls asleep in the car) 3-5 days per week at 8:30 in the morning. EVERY SINGLE day the Mom says "rough night last night". He is of course, tired. I have been allowing him to sleep it off in the morning AND he still naps, always the first one out.

Mom is blaming nap. I told her I cannot legally withhold sleep from a child. If he falling asleep, he is tired and needs sleep.

I spoke to her at LENGTH last night on the phone about it. They are putting him IN BED at 9:30-10. He gets to watch tv (yes in his room) until he falls asleep. I had to laugh. They are completely missing his window. He should be in bed MUCH earlier, book, tuck in, the end. She also said that as long as he stays in his room, they don't 'mess with him'. He can play toys as long as he's quiet.

He wasn't here yesterday and Mom wouldn't allow him to fall asleep, she said this am that he tried to lay down several times yesterday, cried that he was tired, etc and she just kept forcing him to get up. She was so happy the he was 'out' by 10:30. This child was awake from 6:30am-10:30PM! He was asleep at 8:30 when he came in, Mom roughly woke him up, and he was a hysterical sobbing MESS. Mom turned to leave (I was helping another kid with shoes and coat) and said loudly, "DONT LET HIM NAP." and closed the door before I could give a response.

He was a HOT MESS all day long today. Crying over everything, and was yawning, telling me he was tired, almost fell asleep at circle and you guess it, is OUT COLD now.
SilverSabre25 10:18 AM 02-06-2014
I don't say it often, but that mom is an idiot.

Sleep begets sleep. A well rested child will rest well. End of story. What she's doing is cruel and mean and just plain wrong!

First question: if he doesn't arrive until 8:30, why do they wake him at 6:30? I'd be letting him sleep longer if it was me.

Second question: WHY can't they put him in bed earlier?!
CraftyMom 10:21 AM 02-06-2014
Generally kids 4 and under still NEED a nap. Even some 6 year olds NEED a nap. Maybe suggest to mom "all kids need down time, so I will continue to give him down time at the same time everyday. If he happens to fall asleep it means he is tired and I will not wake him."
Unregistered 10:29 AM 02-06-2014
Knee jerk reaction says to give him a 5 hour nap and her a termination notice at pick up tonight.

What do your policies say regarding nap? Did she sign it?

Do you have anything in your policies regarding disrespecting provider? The fact that this has been discussed before and you explained you can not legally without nap. Yet she ORDERED you not to let him sleep showing she does not care about the rules you are required to follow or the consequences.
daycarediva 10:31 AM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
I don't say it often, but that mom is an idiot.

Sleep begets sleep. A well rested child will rest well. End of story. What she's doing is cruel and mean and just plain wrong!

First question: if he doesn't arrive until 8:30, why do they wake him at 6:30? I'd be letting him sleep longer if it was me.

Second question: WHY can't they put him in bed earlier?!
They say at home he gets up at the drop of a hat and wakes up when he hears his parents wake up to get ready. (sooooo not true from my experience, Tuesday he napped in the playroom while everyone else was playing and there were 5 other kids here so I call BS!) He lives 30 minutes away from me, and Mom needs to be at work at 9 (my house is on the way). So he NEEDS to be up around 7:30 to potty and get dressed to be in the car at 8.

I think it's INSANELY mean. He is soooo tired, he has bags under his eyes and is typically my most well mannered, easy going boy. He is the only reason I put up with his parents.

Late bedtime? Crappy parenting. They are the parenting type that NEVER enforces no. They SAY no, they just don't follow through. We do bye bye outside because he turns into this MONSTER at pick up. It's insane. They allow him to eat junk and rough house with Dad until his parents are on their way to bed. They expect him to go from cookies and wrestling to sleep in a matter of minutes. WITH the TV ON!
daycarediva 10:32 AM 02-06-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Generally kids 4 and under still NEED a nap. Even some 6 year olds NEED a nap. Maybe suggest to mom "all kids need down time, so I will continue to give him down time at the same time everyday. If he happens to fall asleep it means he is tired and I will not wake him."
This is PRECISELY what I have been saying. It is obviously not getting through to her AT ALL.
TwinKristi 12:30 PM 02-06-2014
I'm going to be curious how mom handles that he napped. I mean, I'm just not a sugar-coated person (big surprise I know! ) and I don't think I would handle that well. That's just plain stupidity. I don't like parents who try and make their kids miserable for their own benefit. Being overtired is an awful thing for your health as well.
Blackcat31 12:58 PM 02-06-2014
Does he come 5 days a week?
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 02-06-2014
Does he come 5 days a week?

If so, then what is he like on Mondays?

You know the day AFTER mom has had 2 WHOLE days to get him on the "right track" so he doesn't need a nap that day......

If he is the same on Mondays as he is on Friday, I would politely (through gritted teeth and clenched jaw) point the finger right back at mom.
blandino 01:01 PM 02-06-2014
This lady needs a lesson in "Just because you speak it, doesn't make it truth". I'm pretty sure her words don't trump your policies. What planet do these people live on ?
daycare 01:01 PM 02-06-2014
I have this family, but they have two kids with me. One has been with me for 3.5 years and every day the kids sleeps here for about 4.5 hours. Kids are 4 and 20months. They don't go to bed until they pass out on their own around midnight or so.....

I have tried talking to the parents about it, even helped them arrange a bed time routine. NOTHING works. They let the children rule the roost.

This family is a traditional Chinese family and according to the mom, her oldest son (my 4.5 hour sleeper) has more say in what goes at their house than she does.

She tries to co-sleep with both of them and says that they just jump all over the bed for hours on end fighting each other.
I put them to bed right after they eat here at 830 and then they sleep until 10am. Back down for nap 2 at 1pm sometimes sleep until 415pm. I have to fight them daily to get up. I used to just let them sleep, but I thought that maybe me letting them sleep until they woke was the issue, but it's not. It's the parents. They are MUCH older, I don't think they have the energy and as mom said her son has more power to say what goes than she does.
Cat Herder 01:19 PM 02-06-2014
I probably would have walked out and yelled after her "Get back on this porch!!"

The nap issue would come second to the exit issue.....

She wants to act like a moody teen in my home, I'll treat her like one....
Leigh 02:18 PM 02-06-2014
I would start looking for someone to replace this child, and term as soon as I found a new kid. Mom doesn't care that her child needs a nap, she doesn't care about what this does to your program. If you CAN afford to term now, I'd give Mom ONE warning, and term if it doesn't get better, if you can't afford to term now, I'd replace the kid, then term. People like this never change.
daycarediva 05:24 PM 02-06-2014
They are ft. Monday he naps a GOOD 3.5-4 hours. Tue-Friday typically 1 hour in am and 1.5 in pm. If he doesn't sleep at all in the am here, he LITERALLY bursts in tears if you look at him.

Mom says they started melatonin at home. (Thanks for telling me?!)

NOT happy kid napped.

Just posted a video of him on Facebook, of him in the clothes I sent him home in, eating a 'late dinner.'

So. Annoyed.

I like dck or I would term. When he sleeps, he is one of my best behaved kids. Plus, he is a jokester and I like him . maybe a cone to Jesus meeting 1st.
Tags:melatonin hormone, naptime - requirements
Reply Up