Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Standard Hours 70 Per Week?
Abigail 08:47 PM 10-06-2013
Can someone tell me or send me a link to where using 70 hours a week is what the irs will allow without recordkeeping as the time in the week for calculating time/space?

I do have my attendance sheets and can go through in an hour or so and add them up but I didn't add the extra hours for cooking and cleaning and research. I'm wondering if I should just manually add it up (I'm doing an extended return so my deadline in next week).
Familycare71 09:38 PM 10-06-2013
Do you mean up to 70 hours per week?
Abigail 10:20 PM 10-06-2013
Yes, I'm just wondering if claiming 70 hours per week as my total hours working with and without children present in my home is what is acceptable by default or if I must go back to my start-end times children were here from my attendance sheets and then also log my basic after-hours daycare related activities to get the hours I work in a week. Is their a basic standard or must I figure out the specific hours for the year?
Childminder 07:39 AM 10-07-2013
Not clear what you are asking but Tom Copeland says to keep track for two months and average it out. So pick two months, count each hour you were open and the hours doing daycare related then average it out for a year.
TomCopeland 05:00 PM 10-07-2013
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Can someone tell me or send me a link to where using 70 hours a week is what the irs will allow without recordkeeping as the time in the week for calculating time/space?

I do have my attendance sheets and can go through in an hour or so and add them up but I didn't add the extra hours for cooking and cleaning and research. I'm wondering if I should just manually add it up (I'm doing an extended return so my deadline in next week).
There is no IRS rule that says you can claim 70 hours a week without records. You can't claim any hours without records! You can include all hours spent caring for children and all hours spent on other activities when children are not present (cleaning, cooking, activity preparation, time on daycare.com, etc.).

See my article for more info:http://www.tomcopelandblog.com/2011/...e-percent.html
Abigail 07:25 PM 10-07-2013
So if I just use 2 months worth of my hours and multiply that by 6 to get 12 months is that my answer or do I have to just do what I wrote down for cleaning/cooking/research and add up when all the kids were here?
TomCopeland 09:52 AM 10-08-2013
Originally Posted by Abigail:
So if I just use 2 months worth of my hours and multiply that by 6 to get 12 months is that my answer or do I have to just do what I wrote down for cleaning/cooking/research and add up when all the kids were here?
If you keep very close track of hours you worked when children are not there for two months, then use this average for the other 10 months, you will be fine.
Reply Up