Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Michiganders Are You Turning Your Heat Down?
lovemykidstoo 04:58 AM 01-31-2019
Just wondering if my fellow Michiganders got a message last night about turning heat down. Maybe it's just a Consumers Energy deal. There was a fire at a plant in Southeast Michigan which supplies 65% of our gas, so we are running on reserves. Last night my phone started screaming at me and it was an emergency notice saying to turn heat down to 65 or we risk losing all gas. It's amazing to me all the people on FB complaining about that. Here right now it's -11 with a wind chill of -33. One of the people complaining on fb was one of my daycare moms. She is the one that yesterday brought her 8 month old girl even though daddy was home. She's afraid her baby is going to freeze. She's also bringing her today, but again daddy is home. So she has selective baby is going to freeze syndrome.

I had 5 kids normally come this day. Two of them are staying home with parents, so I have 3 now. Out of those 3, 1 is actually working. Gotta love it!
BumbleBee 06:20 AM 01-31-2019
I have Michigan Gas Utilities, I'm not sure how interconnected the natural gas utilities are, but I turned mine down as far as I could and still be within regulations to stay open.

At night I turned it down quite a bit. This cold snap should end tonight for my area so going forward the natural gas consumption should be less, especially next week.
BumbleBee 06:24 AM 01-31-2019
I have 5 today, but all 5 have parents who are working today and/or attending the welcome home for Corporal Wixom (killed in a military accident last week)
Lovisa 06:27 AM 01-31-2019
Not from Michigan, but.....65 degrees is a comfortable temp to me lol. My heater is NEVER higher than that
BumbleBee 07:51 AM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by Lovisa:
Not from Michigan, but.....65 degrees is a comfortable temp to me lol. My heater is NEVER higher than that
With the wind chill sitting at -24F right now, 65F feels downright balmy when coming in from shoveling.

Regulations say it has to measure 65F at a point 2 feet above the floor. For my house, with the current wind chill, that means setting the thermostat at 67F. At night I turn it down to 62F. If I turn it down any further the furnace struggles to heat the house back up to regulation levels.

Thankfully it should start warming up tomorrow.
lovemykidstoo 08:38 AM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by BumbleBee:
With the wind chill sitting at -24F right now, 65F feels downright balmy when coming in from shoveling.

Regulations say it has to measure 65F at a point 2 feet above the floor. For my house, with the current wind chill, that means setting the thermostat at 67F. At night I turn it down to 62F. If I turn it down any further the furnace struggles to heat the house back up to regulation levels.

Thankfully it should start warming up tomorrow.
I usually a have ours about 68, so really this is no biggie and I always use an electric blanket at night anyway. I can't wait until Monday. It's going to be 51!! Going to put my bathing suit on ahahha
sahm1225 09:36 AM 01-31-2019
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I usually a have ours about 68, so really this is no biggie and I always use an electric blanket at night anyway. I can't wait until Monday. It's going to be 51!! Going to put my bathing suit on ahahha
I’m wearing shorts when it hits 40 on Sunday here
Ours is usually set at 67 and 61 at night.
BumbleBee 11:42 AM 01-31-2019
I can't wait for next week! Not excited about the flooding that we're sure to have but very excited for the temps!
tlemother 05:31 PM 01-31-2019
Not from Michigan either but We would freeze at 65 (not literally) but we normally keep our thermostat on 76 all year.
284878 05:39 AM 02-01-2019
We got the alert. I don't think dh turn it down. We have propane not natural gas here, so I don't think I'd make it different for us. But licensing requires us to keep household temperature between 65 and 82 or you have to close for the day. Would be a good excuse why you can't take the kids.
hwichlaz 07:04 AM 02-01-2019
When it's that cold outside, doesn't turning your heat down to 65 really make it a few degrees colder than that in your house?
LysesKids 11:37 AM 02-01-2019
Originally Posted by tlemother:
Not from Michigan either but We would freeze at 65 (not literally) but we normally keep our thermostat on 76 all year.
You wouldn't like my house then... when babes were here in winter it was 72 daytime then after they left 65; AC in summer was 76-78 depending on outside warmth. Right now it's 68 in here...
Lovisa 11:48 AM 02-01-2019
Originally Posted by tlemother:
Meanwhile, I'd be having a heat stroke with the heater at 76 lol. I'm sweaty just thinking about it! Lol!

In the summer, when it is over 100 outside, I keep it at 75 during the day and 70 at night. Even those indoor temps are not comfy for me.
LysesKids 08:55 AM 02-02-2019
Meanwhile, I'd be having a heat stroke with the heater at 76 lol. I'm sweaty just thinking about it! Lol!

In the summer, when it is over 100 outside, I keep it at 75 during the day and 70 at night. Even those indoor temps are not comfy for me.
I usually kept mine at 76 summertime, just because it can be brutally hot outside & my home won't cool below 78 if it's over 95 no matter where it's set... I always kept it within legal limits when my home had babes, but now that I'm closed & working somewhere else? Yep, temps are set @ 65 in winter lol. I just wear a few layers or a sweater if I get cold
BumbleBee 09:16 AM 02-02-2019
It's a balmy 27F out today with a forecasted high of 35. It feels like a heatwave out there!!!
Tags:michigan, winter
Reply Up