Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pregnant Provider Questions
Jo123ABC 12:39 PM 03-02-2020
I'm in my 3rd trimester of pregnancy with my third child. This is my first time running an in home daycare while pregnant though. I'm about 32 weeks and getting uncomfortable with back pain, less sleep, etc. now. I feel okay for the most part and am trying to take it easy and having the kids be as independent as possible when it comes to potty training etc. So I'm not bending and lifting as much. I have a ft infant who's pretty easy going and a pt infant who is new so kinda easy going but still not on my schedule and is prone to spit-up a lot which means more mess cleanup ...which REALLY sucks when pregnant. Anyway, both of my other kids were born at 35 weeks so I don't know how long this one will hang out but chances are he/she will be a bit early as well.

I'm just curious. For those of you who were pregnant and running a daycare did you close at all during pregnancy? How did you handle the last few weeks? How long of a leave did you take after baby was born? Tell me everything!
Cat Herder 01:22 PM 03-02-2020
I did not close until the day of my scheduled C-sections 5am (Closed Friday). I had to open back up within 3 days afterward as well (Closed Monday). Basically a 4 day weekend. My budget simply did not allow me any wiggle room back then. I did not have family support and I had huge out of pocket expenses ($5,800 per) even with insurance pre-approval.

I did fine and the kids were no worse for the wear. I would have loved to have had a better option, though.
dolores 01:43 PM 03-02-2020
You are a superwoman CH.
Cat Herder 02:32 PM 03-02-2020
Originally Posted by dolores:
You are a superwoman CH.
Nah. I just wanted kids a bit sooner than my husband at the time. I knew I had to make it as easy on him as possible as part of the compromise. The risk of SIDS goes up after 25 and I had that number stuck in my head as a deadline for me. Self-created, 100%. I was in my 20's. Everything is easier in your 20's.
284878 05:15 AM 03-03-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Nah. I just wanted kids a bit sooner than my husband at the time. I knew I had to make it as easy on him as possible as part of the compromise. The risk of SIDS goes up after 25 and I had that number stuck in my head as a deadline for me. Self-created, 100%. I was in my 20's. Everything is easier in your 20's.
Wow interesting, I am glad I never knew that. I was way past with both mine.
284878 05:49 AM 03-03-2020
I had my son in 2018. I lost my families after I announced. Replaced with infants and SA. If it wasn't for less income, I would haved closed a week early.

I took ten weeks off because my doctor insisted and there for me is no do over (meaning it was my last child and I wasn't getting this time with just him back) and it was the summer, so I waited for the fall enrollment calls.
Jupadia 06:47 AM 03-03-2020
With my seconed I was running my daycare. I had a scheduled c section, (due to last one for first kid, being an emergency section). I knew my date so it helped with planning. I worked almost to my date but did take almost a week off before hand, but that was more due to Christmas then baby. I pretty much took off from December 25 (Friday) to december 4 (Monday). A few of those days like Christmas Nd the following monday were already considered sat holidays (or day off in lieu of). My section was on the 30th (wedesday). On the day I opened back up and for the next 3 weeks my MIL helped with the daycare kids, and my own toddler since I had lifting limits. MIL was the best, at time she actually took 3 weeks vaction to help. Then my husband took two weeks to help out.
I still set up meals and snacks but when MIL was there I stayed mostly away from the daycare, when husband was in I spent most of time in daycare room, with him doing lifting and such. Or helping get kids outside and dressed. After that i was on my own. My doctor said I needed 6 weeks healing, I was also already 35.

CH, no way could have I done it with mine
without help, your amazing.

The last month was very hard to get through, each day totally drained me. I would wish that I had a regular job that I could have gone on sick leave with before having kid. Ironic part was that with my first pregnacy it was easy and I worked till the day I was in labour. Could have had sick time then, just was not needed.

Did loss one kid thanks to me having subs in for a bit, but it was ok since 2 days after having my seconed (due to law changes) I had to start counting my own kids in my numbers. I would have been over 1 pt kid other wise (some days).

Good luck getting through.
Ariana 08:27 AM 03-03-2020
I also did not close but I did get rid of one very difficult kid which helped a lot. Use stools and chairs to sit on while helping kids, change pee diapers while kids are standing up as well. I used tv more and we did not go outside as much. I am typically a tv free daycare and an outdoor junkie but some days it was a must during winter.

My first one came 10 days early so I also expected her to come early...she arrived 10 days late
AmyKidsCo 01:29 PM 03-03-2020
I had 3 of our 6 while doing family child care and worked right up to the date with all of them. The first was a surprise birthday, but since I only had a 1 hour labor with him we planned inductions for the next 2. I closed for 1 week with all 3, then had help for the next 4-5 weeks. I still worked but it was nice to have a helper to fill in when I needed to rest.
Tags:maternity leave - length, pregnant - and running daycare, pregnant providers
Reply Up