Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is This Something to Report?
Unregistered 04:42 AM 10-13-2020
I interviewed and accepted a new family into daycare yesterday. Mom tells me she left prior daycare due to unexplained injuries her child had from daycare. She said she questioned the provider what happened but the provider didn’t know. She said the provider was licensed to her knowledge. She showed me a picture of the child’s latest injury and it does look like someone grabbed the child by the upper part of the arm and dug in their fingernails.

As I was having her fill out paperwork, she said the previous provider had none of this procedure. She said the child spent most of his time in front of the television at the prior daycare.

She told me the name of the provider and I checked the state webpage to see if she was licensed. She was indeed licensed 15 months ago. Fourteen months ago she received violations for inadequate supervision and for having children in an area of the home not approved for childcare. The violations are still not corrected.

My question is, if the injury is still visible when the child arrives at my daycare, is it reportable abuse? I’m leaning toward it being that it is.
Cat Herder 04:59 AM 10-13-2020
How do you know it was not an injury caused by a parent?

It is all second hand.

If the parent wants to report, they should. You can only report what the parent said.....
Unregistered 05:12 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
How do you know it was not an injury caused by a parent?

It is all second hand.

If the parent wants to report, they should. You can only report what the parent said.....
I don’t know. That’s just it.

I figure if the child is being abused, the investigation will be able to get more answers than I can.

If it is the parent, the previous provider should have reported it.
Cat Herder 05:18 AM 10-13-2020
If you suspect abuse in general then you should report to child services.

The way the OP was worded it seemed you were considering reporting to daycare licensing. Licensing would only investigate if the parent reported.
Unregistered 09:06 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
If you suspect abuse in general then you should report to child services.

The way the OP was worded it seemed you were considering reporting to daycare licensing. Licensing would only investigate if the parent reported.
I reread the OP and I understand what you mean.

My thoughts were it seemed like the previous provider just might not have been with it enough to make a report herself. I know most of the other providers in the area as we see each other at trainings. I’ve never heard anyone complaining about how the long-time providers treated their kids. I didn’t recognize the name when the parent told me. It seemed really odd those kinds of violations would go uncorrected for so long.

The child seemed very happy and comfortable here with the parents. In my application, I ask the parent information about the child. One of the questions asks if the child has any fears. Dad joked that the child was afraid of him but the child rolled their eyes and shook their head no.

I will be doing thorough health checks on the child, that’s for sure.
Gemma 09:42 AM 10-13-2020
I'm surprised the parent didn't call to report an injury like that
Unregistered 09:58 AM 10-13-2020
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I'm surprised the parent didn't call to report an injury like that
Exactly
Unregistered 10:11 AM 10-13-2020
It’s possible she did report it. I don’t know for sure.

I haven’t seen the injury on the child myself other than the picture.

I want to make sure I don’t drop the ball as a mandated reporter.
284878 10:25 AM 10-13-2020
If you decide to go ahead with this family. I would document all this info and let your licensor know all of this before you start the child. You would not be reporting the provider just documenting info, as it is all hear say.

I had a DCM that talked about her current provider, telling me a list things and that they were going to report. Then she found a new dc and long story short, new provider said on social media that her new family was going to report me. I never got an call but at that point I had wished that I had documented and talked to my licensor before enrolling. Because if I had been reported, my documents would show that DCM had a habit of leaving and reporting.

Eventually I met the old provider and she was nothing like DCM said and still in business. The new provider on the other hand got violations a mile long and was closed. (Possible still runs a dc underground)
Gemma 04:25 AM 10-14-2020
Originally Posted by 284878:
If you decide to go ahead with this family. I would document all this info and let your licensor know all of this before you start the child. You would not be reporting the provider just documenting info, as it is all hear say.

I had a DCM that talked about her current provider, telling me a list things and that they were going to report. Then she found a new dc and long story short, new provider said on social media that her new family was going to report me. I never got an call but at that point I had wished that I had documented and talked to my licensor before enrolling. Because if I had been reported, my documents would show that DCM had a habit of leaving and reporting.

Eventually I met the old provider and she was nothing like DCM said and still in business. The new provider on the other hand got violations a mile long and was closed. (Possible still runs a dc underground)
Good advise!
Tags:licensing regulations, reporting - daycare, reporting - suspected abuse
Reply Up