Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wish Daycares Had Subs.....
Christina72684 12:51 PM 10-08-2014
I'm really surprised there aren't "subs" for daycares like there are for schools. I know it's different with the younger kids, but as long as they've gone through the right trainings and paperwork then I don't see the big deal. Does anyone have something like this in their area? Or do you have someone that you use for a sub? I just hate when there's one day, or even just a few hours, where no one can work and I have to sacrifice whatever I had planned because we don't have someone on hand that just wants to sub here and there.
Thriftylady 01:52 PM 10-08-2014
When I lived in Kansas our child care association started a sub program shortly before I shut down. I don't know if they still have it or not. I would call, ask for a sub the sub would come and would have all the trainings and such. Then they would pay the sub and I would pay them. It was great, but I found it pretty pricey so I couldn't afford to use it often. I wonder if they still do it.
Second Home 02:14 PM 10-08-2014
Here we have to list/register our subs with the state , they have to fill out the background and substitute paperwork every 2 years just like I do . I think it would be impossible to have a sub program like what you are thinking here in MD .
Thriftylady 02:22 PM 10-08-2014
Originally Posted by Second Home:
Here we have to list/register our subs with the state , they have to fill out the background and substitute paperwork every 2 years just like I do . I think it would be impossible to have a sub program like what you are thinking here in MD .
See in Kansas our program did all that. They were like temps and had all their paperwork submitted and even came with a binder of activities and such. Were fingerprinted, etc. But the agency paid for all that so I paid say $15 an hour and then the sub got like $10 an hour.
melilley 03:11 PM 10-08-2014
I wish we had that!
I actually thought of starting a business hiring out subs, but like someone said, it would probably be too pricey and they would have to keep up with all the trainings, be fingerprinted, each provider would have to keep all these things on file etc... Sounds like too much of a hassle.

I think a few providers here share subs, but it would be easier to do the above mentioned things doing it that way.
AmyKidsCo 08:06 PM 10-08-2014
There are some around here, but I'd never leave someone else alone in my house with "my" kids. If I were in a group center it would be different, but my child care space is in our living space.
MarinaVanessa 09:40 PM 10-08-2014
We don't have anything like this however it's been a topic that I have been looking into recently within the last few months. I'm sure that everyone's states are regs are all different but when I looked into it for CA it seemed that all that we would need to do is find someone with no kids of their own (so that they wouldn't need to tote their own kids along and possibly put a FCC over ratio), get them CPR certified, TB tested, and background checked. Then it would be a matter of filling out the form that lists all of the adults living/working in the home and send it in to licensing.

Someone that had an open schedule could start their own "substitute" business and could then be considered an independent contractor. My FCC provider friends and I have been looking for a friend or someone that knows someone and hounding them into possibly doing something like this. This would fabulous for when we'd need to go for appointments
DaveA 04:01 AM 10-09-2014
Here in Illinois there was supposedly a pilot program providing a sub service to both home and centers, but it was several years ago & was never heard from again. Centers and FCC have been asking for it for years. DCFS basically looks at us like we're nuts at the very idea. I looked into being a professional sub before opening the home daycare. They make it difficult to the point of not being feasible, especially for FCC, small programs, or someone just needing a short time ASAP.
DaveA 04:03 AM 10-09-2014
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
There are some around here, but I'd never leave someone else alone in my house with "my" kids. If I were in a group center it would be different, but my child care space is in our living space.
Depends on the situation for me. I doubt I would use it for times like vacations where my wife & I were both gone. For a day here or there where I have appointments, traveling to a show, etc.... yeah I would use it in a heartbeat.
KidGrind 04:19 AM 10-09-2014
I made a wonderful living as a Special Event/Substitute Provider in California. I actually miss it. I built up a great reputation, had repeat clients and a flexible schedule.

I would do it in an heartbeat if I could. I was extremely successful.
jenboo 07:48 AM 10-09-2014
We have a company here that provides daycare subs. I forget how much they charge but it's a minimum of 4 hours and you get billed at the end of the month.
It's a nice back up but I have never used them
Thriftylady 03:54 PM 10-09-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
I wish we had that!
I actually thought of starting a business hiring out subs, but like someone said, it would probably be too pricey and they would have to keep up with all the trainings, be fingerprinted, each provider would have to keep all these things on file etc... Sounds like too much of a hassle.

I think a few providers here share subs, but it would be easier to do the above mentioned things doing it that way.
Our childcare association kept all that on file and had some kind of a deal with licensing. But all that added to the cost. I only used it once because of the cost, but I am not sure they could have done it all any cheaper really. The gal they sent was awesome and the kids loved her.
Play Care 02:54 AM 10-10-2014
The one issue I could see is that this is MY business, so the buck stops with me. If I used a sub service and the sub wasn't up to par (or heaven forbid something happened), it would come back to ME. My DH is a teacher, if he calls in for a sub and the sub stinks, it has nothing to do with him personally. He's not going to get his licensed pulled, KWIM?

I have two subs that I use - I work with them for a month or two before leaving them alone with the kids. Both my subs are AMAZING.
Tags:helper, substitute
Reply Up