Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Contract For Provider Maternity Leave?
Sprouts 10:13 PM 07-04-2012
Another question here...

So i am 6 months and due in October....I told my parents I plan on taking 1 or 2 weeks off when I have the baby....and I dont expect to be paid these weeks or week

would you make a contract for this? would you try to help make arrangements for them so they dont leave? I dunno, i have never done this and def. do not want to loose anyone....
Truly Scrumptious 11:35 PM 07-04-2012
Not sure how your day care is set up? In my home, my day care is downstairs in the basement....so, I could hire sub care to come in and care for the children while I stayed upstairs with the baby. Then there's no break in the routine for the familes enrolled and income still comes in. I know I would have to pay sub care, but there would still be about half of the weeks income brought in, for me.

Or....I might schedule my vacation to be at the time the baby's due (because I get paid for my vacation, I wouldn't lose income).

If neither of these are an option, then I would at least make my families pay a holding fee for those two weeks. You should be able to give them plenty of notice so they can make advanced arrangements.

No matter what you decide, you may risk losing a parent, that's a chance we all take as providers anytime we disrupt the normal flow of things or change something. But, life happens and change happens and schedules get disrupted.

I would not make arrangements for them if you choose to take off, whether with or without pay, because if they have a bad experience they will blame you. You can guide them in the right direction, but let them do the leg work.

And yes, I would have some kind of agreement written up for the parents to sign.
cheerfuldom 05:54 AM 07-05-2012
I think you need to plan for two weeks. If you can come back sooner, fine. But dont semi-promise that it might be one week because then the parents will plan for that.

Just plan two weeks unpaid. I have a similar set up to the other poster but I still close for at least on full week to have time with just my family when people arent coming and going. I hired a sub last time but she was not able to keep up with things and I ended up going back to work part time the second week. It was fine (better than closing and losing people) but not at all ideal.

This time I will close for two weeks and thats that. But it might depend on how big your set up is and what sort of help you can bring in. It has to be someone completely trustworthy and independent.

As to the finding backup care, I have a short list of local people that are willing to do backup/temporary care or the parents figure out something on their own. There is plenty of notice so if they go with someone from my list, it is up to the parents to call for a spot, figure out payment, and work with the new provider. I dont call or do ANYTHING with that....just offer the contact info. I also dont offer anyone super close by just in case the parents try to stick with the new provider instead of me

No change to the contract. The time off is viewed like a paid vacation which IS outlined in my contract already.
Tags:maternity leave
Reply Up