Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Providers Who Use Prescription Drugs
My3cents 05:15 AM 05-02-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If we are talking about FULL disclosure and how is it immoral or unethical to not divulge this info to parents in our child care then why do we (providers here) have user names?because I want to have a place to come to talk daycare and not have to worry about a parent or other provider in my community being offended by what I have to say that may or may not jive with their ways.

If we are ethically suppose to divulge all information about ourselves to parents who leave their children with us, then how come these same parents don't have a right to come on this forum and know who their provider is and what she says about them or their child? I believe in being honest, I am not wishy washy for the most part, but what works today doesn't always work tomorrow or for the same kid. I do believe in having a personal life too. I don't want to step on someone's feelings for having my own opinion. Sometimes it is inevitable.

If some providers are so concerned about being open and honest, then why have a user name and avatar? another reason is internet safety.

Why aren't you stating WHO you are and WHERE you live? I have opened up to a few people but it is my choice and I don't expect everyone to understand my choice.

What you say and write on this forum a lot of times DIRECTLY involves a person's child and the care they receive so why is that info not open and used freely on this forum?

Short answer? Because most of you wouldn't want a parent to read what you are saying about them but yet, you think we should tell them our personal info.... kind of a double standard.... many double standards to life. I don't feel we have to tell them everything but if I am asked something I don't think I should lie either. My advice is to ask your providers important questions that could become deal breakers before signing on with them as providers.

*You* ~ general you NOT directed at anyone in particular.
This has been a great topic and it really makes you think beyond narcotics and pain med, but also disabilities, and HIV/Aids- illness etc.....
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 05-02-2013
Originally Posted by rmc20021:
Absolutely, it's nobody's business what your medical conditions are, or what medications you are using. But as a parent, they should have the knowledge to be able to make an informed decision as to whether they want their child in your care or not, just as you feel you should know the medical condition of a child coming into your care and what medications they might be on if they're going to be with you.

This subject hits very close to my heart, and as I also said earlier in my first post, it's not meant to demean anyone. Narcotics are a HUGE influence in today's society...they are not selective as to who they take into their hell.
I am very sorry for your losses. (I too have had experience with loss in connection to prescription medication). (((hugs))) for what you've gone through.

In reference to the bolded sentence above.....

A parents right to knowledge is NOT greater than a providers right to privacy.

Why? Because a provider's "authorities" (licensing/regulations/laws) state that providers have the right to privacy and do NOT have to disclose anything as long as the provider is following the rules in regards to prescription drug use.

As a parent YOU (general you) are your child's authority. A parent may use that authority to chose NOT to enroll in child care or not.
That is the ONLY right a parent has in this situation.
A parent cannot use their authority to make a provider disclose anything about her medical history or current medical conditions.

As a parent I completely and 100% understand why it would be something you would want to know but unfortunately, just because you WANT to know and would LIKE to know, still doesn't give you the RIGHT to know.

In all honesty, I really do feel that if this was a huge issue, then states and politicians would be lobbying for drug testing for child care providers and so far, that hasn't happened.

As to why I (as a provider) have a right to a child's medical information....it is because I am the authority to MY business. As that authority, I get to decide what info about a child I care for I want and get to know.

As the child's parent, you get to decide if you are willing to disclose that info or not. If it is something that the provider requires, then you either provide the info or don't enroll.

It IS a tough subject but no matter how we feel personally about this issue, the laws are very clear about it and whether we believe the laws to be morally or ethically right is moot.

We can only follow the law and as humans can only do what we feel is right or best for OUR personal situations. It's about trust and trust can make or break a relationship. ANY relationship.
Country Kids 07:34 AM 05-02-2013
I am very sorry for your losses. (I too have had experience with loss in connection to prescription medication). (((hugs))) for what you've gone through.

A parents right to knowledge is NOT greater than a providers right to privacy.

Why? Because a provider's "authorities" (licensing/regulations/laws) state that providers have the right to privacy and do NOT have to disclose anything as long as the provider is following the rules in regards to prescription drug use.

As a parent YOU (general you) are your child's authority. A parent may use that authority to chose NOT to enroll in child care or not.
A parent cannot use their authority to make a provider disclose anything about her medical history or current medical conditions.

As a parent I completely and 100% understand why it would be something you would want to know but unfortunately, just because you WANT to know and would LIKE to know, still doesn't give you the RIGHT to know.

In all honesty, I really do feel that if this was a huge issue, then states and politicians would be lobbying for drug testing for child care providers and so far, that hasn't happened.

As to why I (as a provider) have a right to a child's medical information....it is because I am the authority to MY business. As that authority, I get to decide what info about a child I care for I want and get to know.

As the child's parent, you get to decide if you are willing to disclose that info or not. If it is something that the provider requires, then you either provide the info or don't enroll.

It IS a tough subject but no matter how we feel personally about this issue, the laws are very clear about it and whether we believe the laws to be morally or ethically right is moot.

We can only follow the law and as humans can only do what we feel is right or best for OUR personal situations. It's about trust and trust can make or break a relationship. ANY relationship.
It probably is a huge issue but since its kept behind closed doors maybe thats why its not been a key issue. Maybe its time someone brings it up to the Government. Maybe its time for the parents to have a say on this. Imagine if no one had challenged the govenrmnet to take a stand and have to tell us that babies to put babies on their backs to sleep!

I find it ironic that the government can tell me that I can't have media on during the day (which may also include my family) but a parent can't ask me if I am on anything that may impair my judgement while their child is with me. Also, alcohol is mentioned in rules as a no but something that could impair your judgement is prescribed is ok?

Also, why is it thought a parent doesn't have the right to ask? There's actually nothing in my regs saying they can't or can. When reading some of the posts I get this sense of "power" over parents. I'm the provider and I can do...... Yes, we are providers, run our own businesses, work hard on policies/procedures but that doesn't take parents right away.

If a provider was on a prescribed pain killer and something happened during childcare hours, would the parents have a right to take the provider to court? Since the provider doesn't have to disclose, wouldn't they be protected by the courts?

For the ones that have to have a Doctors note stating that you are able to work with children while on prescription pain killers is that a requirement from the state? So if the state can ask why can't the parents?

I'm sorry for those that have had losses/relationships problems with loved ones that became addicted to prescription meds. Possibly you are the ones that need to lobby for these rules to be changed for parents! There needs to be a voice-
Blackcat31 07:58 AM 05-02-2013
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
It probably is a huge issue but since its kept behind closed doors maybe thats why its not been a key issue. Maybe its time someone brings it up to the Government. Maybe its time for the parents to have a say on this. Imagine if no one had challenged the govenrmnet to take a stand and have to tell us that babies to put babies on their backs to sleep!
Show me links, articles or studies PROVING that prescription medication USED PROPERLY (according to licensing regulations/laws) by providers is a huge issue.

When a provider is under a doctor's care to monitor her medication use and her medical condition/illness, the doctor is the one who assumes responsibility by signing off or approving the provider to provide care.

Just like my DH has to have a doctor monitor his management of his diabetes BEFORE he (the Dr) signs off on the form that gets sent to the Department of Motor Vehicles. If the Dr feels my DH does NOT have good diabetes management he will NOT sign off on the form and my DH would have his driving privileges revoked or suspended.

If he is managing his disease as directed to do so by his physician, the form gets signed and my DH gets to continue driving. But he still doesn't have to tell you (as a passenger) or you (as another driver on the road) that he has diabetes because the form the doctor signed PROVES he has the ability to drive just like everyone else.

I find it ironic that the government can tell me that I can't have media on during the day (which may also include my family) but a parent can't ask me if I am on anything that may impair my judgement while their child is with me. Also, alcohol is mentioned in rules as a no but something that could impair your judgement is prescribed is ok?
But like a parent, you have a RIGHT to exercise your individual rights by choosing to use media anytime you want.....just NOT if you are a child care provider.

No one is forcing you to be a child care provider. You choose to be, therefore you MUST follow the rules.

BIG difference between having a choice and having a right.

Each role we play in life or hat we wear comes with a certain set of standards and rules that apply.

Also, why is it thought a parent doesn't have the right to ask? There's actually nothing in my regs saying they can't or can. When reading some of the posts I get this sense of "power" over parents. I'm the provider and I can do...... Yes, we are providers, run our own businesses, work hard on policies/procedures but that doesn't take parents right away.
No one said a parent doesn't have the right to ask. They certainly have every right to ask. Provider's just don't HAVE to tell them.

Personally, I don't use ANY medication so I have no issues telling anyone who asks.

I am simply replying from a legal standpoint.

If a provider was on a prescribed pain killer and something happened during childcare hours, would the parents have a right to take the provider to court? Since the provider doesn't have to disclose, wouldn't they be protected by the courts?
ONLY if the parent could prove the provider was negligent. If the provider did everything right and an accident still occurred, she would not be automatically held responsible simply because she is on a prescribed medication AS LONG AS SHE IS FOLLOWING REGS/RULES of her state.

For the ones that have to have a Doctors note stating that you are able to work with children while on prescription pain killers is that a requirement from the state? So if the state can ask why can't the parents?
Because the STATE regulates child care laws and licensing NOT parents.
My3cents 09:17 AM 05-02-2013

A parents right to knowledge is NOT greater than a providers right to privacy. I agree with you but as a parent I am going to do my darndest to get to know my provider and ask important questions before enrolling my child. The provider can withhold this information, but if I later found out I would be livid. It doesn't have to be in the rule book, it is the way that I operate as a person. This sounds hyped up, of course with common sense and decency.

As to why I (as a provider) have a right to a child's medical information....it is because I am the authority to MY business. As that authority, I get to decide what info about a child I care for I want and get to know. a child could have Aids/Hiv and the parent not disclose this information to me- not cool in my opinion. I understand why however.

This is why when I first started reading these post, I said I don't really have much to comment on........gee I was wrong but it is a moot point because people will do what people want to do and for all the reasons above...great response BC
Blackcat31 09:51 AM 05-02-2013
Originally Posted by My3cents:

I agree with you but as a parent I am going to do my darndest to get to know my provider and ask important questions before enrolling my child.

The provider can withhold this information, but if I later found out I would be livid. It doesn't have to be in the rule book, it is the way that I operate as a person. This sounds hyped up, of course with common sense and decency.

This is why when I first started reading these post, I said I don't really have much to comment on........gee I was wrong but it is a moot point because people will do what people want to do and for all the reasons above...great response BC
ABSOLUTELY!! As a parent, my response would be completely different.
daycare 09:54 AM 05-02-2013
Ok So I have to tell you guys this..(funny that this thread came up at this time)

Last week I had to have a surgery. After my surgery, I was put on bed rest and very heavy narcotics. I like to consider myself a naturalist when it comes to meds and foods. I try my hardest to only put things in my body that are natural, so this is huge for me

Lucky for me, I have wonderful help keeping my daycare open and running for me, but it's hard being here not being able to do anything and my boredom factor is out of control. Anyways let me get back to what I was saying.

While on the meds, I am USELESS. I hate the way that I feel. I can hardly walk, I vomit quite a bit, I am confused, I have delayed reactions and all I want to do is sleep. I even have hallucinated a few times. As time has passed, I am able to control myself better, but I have reduced the amount I am taking and am starting to be in control of the meds. I could see how someone would think that they are ok to go on with their day and think that they are ok to carry on.

I just could never in a million years imagine being on something that alters and impairs my abilities and care for children at the same time. But I am sure that there are people who would try and that is a very scary thought.

On the issue of telling the parents or not, well, I think that if you are a person of good morals you would.
Blackcat31 10:10 AM 05-02-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I just could never in a million years imagine being on something that alters and impairs my abilities and care for children at the same time. But I am sure that there are people who would try and that is a very scary thought. .
That is the difference though.....your doctor would probably never have signed off for you to care for children due to the medications you were on.

Anything that impairs your ability to care for children in a way that is significant enough that the care you provide is dangerous would probably mean your doctor wouldn't allow it.

There are probably LOTS of providers who are under the influence of something and without a signed statement from their doctor, they ARE operating illegally and in a fashion that makes ALL caregivers look bad.

Doing things that way is sad and scary!

On the issue of telling the parents or not, well, I think that if you are a person of good morals you would.
That is a very unfair statement to make.

If I were taking a prescribed medication and was under the care of my doctor and was deemed physically and medically capable of providing care for children, I wouldn't HAVE to tell anyone and that certainly wouldn't make me an immoral person.
canadiancare 10:12 AM 05-02-2013
I am currently working under the influence of the Internet.

20 years ago I would have been watching soaps during naptime.
daycare 10:18 AM 05-02-2013
That is the difference though.....your doctor would probably never have signed off for you to care for children due to the medications you were on.

Anything that impairs your ability to care for children in a way that is significant enough that the care you provide is dangerous would probably mean your doctor wouldn't allow it.

There are probably LOTS of providers who are under the influence of something and without a signed statement from their doctor, they ARE operating illegally and in a fashion that makes ALL caregivers look bad.

Doing things that way is sad and scary!

That is a very unfair statement to make.

If I were taking a prescribed medication and was under the care of my doctor and was deemed physically and medically capable of providing care for children, I wouldn't HAVE to tell anyone and that certainly wouldn't make me an immoral person.
I understand what you are saying, but this is just how I feel... I could not imagine NOT telling the parents.
Country Kids 10:25 AM 05-02-2013
I'm going to through this out there since it is legal in areas of our country-
what about a prescription for medical marijuanna.

Its prescribed by a doctor, you need it to get through the day, and you can legally grow it. According to lots of people though you can't become addicted and it doesn't affect the brain.

So we wouldn't have to tell a parent we are smoking/growing it for our prescription? I think you can actually grow for other people to.

We can't smoke around children but what about if it were a prescription or we were outside?

New question-should providers be able to smoke legal medical marijuanna while taking care of children?
daycare 10:30 AM 05-02-2013

Its prescribed by a doctor, you need it to get through the day, and you can legally grow it. According to lots of people though you can't become addicted and it doesn't affect the brain.

So we wouldn't have to tell a parent we are smoking/growing it for our prescription? I think you can actually grow for other people to.

We can't smoke around children but what about if it were a prescription or we were outside?

New question-should providers be able to smoke legal medical marijuanna while taking care of children?
lol....Oh my goodness you are all scaring me......

There are soooooo many possibilities that could happen during daycare, now you really have me thinking....
Lyss 10:40 AM 05-02-2013
If a provider disclosed to me she was using narcotics I may be uncomfortable leaving my child with them because I don't know enough about them. On the other hand if a doctor feels she is safe to be around children who am I to say she isn't? I'm not a doctor, I haven't read the studies or had the training that a doctor has.

We've had this thread before, about a respected registered poster saying she used them daily. Obviously she was involved and providing effective and safe care for the children.

It's my personal choice as a parent to say yes or no. If I wasn't aware of the situation I don't think it would matter, I'd be continually observing and making sure it was the proper place for my child. It's not like you interview a provider and then suddenly things are all good, it takes time to develop trust.

Its my responsibility to ask questions and do my homework when choosing a provider, its also my responsibility to continue to monitor the care my child receives. I'm tired of all the government responsibility arguments because it takes the responsibility away from the parents who should be the one's monitoring their child's care.

Ok So I have to tell you guys this..(funny that this thread came up at this time)

Last week I had to have a surgery. After my surgery, I was put on bed rest and very heavy narcotics. I like to consider myself a naturalist when it comes to meds and foods. I try my hardest to only put things in my body that are natural, so this is huge for me

Lucky for me, I have wonderful help keeping my daycare open and running for me, but it's hard being here not being able to do anything and my boredom factor is out of control. Anyways let me get back to what I was saying.

While on the meds, I am USELESS. I hate the way that I feel. I can hardly walk, I vomit quite a bit, I am confused, I have delayed reactions and all I want to do is sleep. I even have hallucinated a few times. As time has passed, I am able to control myself better, but I have reduced the amount I am taking and am starting to be in control of the meds. I could see how someone would think that they are ok to go on with their day and think that they are ok to carry on.

I just could never in a million years imagine being on something that alters and impairs my abilities and care for children at the same time. But I am sure that there are people who would try and that is a very scary thought.

While I understand your point, your situation is totally different from the OP. Its not a one time thing that a person who stays away from medication is dealing with. Its is a chronic issue which means OP deals with it daily (the medication I'm referring too). Her tolerance (and most likely dosing amount) is completely different from yours.

Hope you're feeling better after your surgery BTW!
Blackcat31 10:45 AM 05-02-2013

Medical marijuana is similar to alcohol use and from what I understand is subject to the same laws.

Use would NOT be legal WHILE on the job.

If you had a medical condition that makes it so you cannot make it through the day without using marijuana, then it is highly doubtful that a doctor would sign off on allowing you to care for children.

Oh, and just an FYI....a majority of people who use marijuana for medical purposes don't smoke it. There are many ways to use marijuana without having to smoke it like cigarettes.
Lyss 10:46 AM 05-02-2013

There are soooooo many possibilities that could happen during daycare, now you really have me thinking....
There are so many possibilities with anything and everyone... What about your teachers? Coaches? Religious leaders? the list goes on and on. If we worry about the "what ifs" life is gonna be very hard
Country Kids 10:47 AM 05-02-2013

Its not to scare anyone but a look at how our world/country is changing!

We have heard about sister wives, gay marriages, prescription drugs, legal marijuanna, media for preschoolers, proper way to sleep babies, transportation slips, handbooks, forms, forms and more forms quality education for preschoolers, certificates/degrees to teach in your own home, etc. here on the forum/newspapers/classes/etc.

20 years ago when I started this (17 officially), the only thing that was suggested was to have a simple contract if you wanted with parents and to take 8 hours (for me) every 2 years, which seemed like sooooo much back then.

People were astionished that I did arts/crafts/preschool 18 years ago with my childcare. To me that seemed like the norm as I did the same with my own children. It seemed like the natural thing to do. Why wouldn't someone want that and thats what made my childcare stand out over others. Now its the norm and you need to have sooo much more!

Now we have so many more issues in the world/homes/families that need to be addressed and we need to stay up on all current events, laws, rights, and what is happening in the childcare world between parents/providers.

In a nutshell, yes, we are the providers and we are the business owners. I have read though time and time again on education of parents and I guess one thing that parents really need to know is really ask questions, learn about your provider and if something really seems off, go with your gut. If that means they are using something even with a doctors prescription that makes you as a parent uncomfortable (I think every provider here said it would) then thats not the provider for you.

Childcare is not just a home business anymore, but much, much more!
daycare 10:51 AM 05-02-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
If a provider disclosed to me she was using narcotics I may be uncomfortable leaving my child with them because I don't know enough about them. On the other hand if a doctor feels she is safe to be around children who am I to say she isn't? I'm not a doctor, I haven't read the studies or had the training that a doctor has.

We've had this thread before, about a respected registered poster saying she used them daily. Obviously she was involved and providing effective and safe care for the children.

It's my personal choice as a parent to say yes or no. If I wasn't aware of the situation I don't think it would matter, I'd be continually observing and making sure it was the proper place for my child. It's not like you interview a provider and then suddenly things are all good, it takes time to develop trust.

Its my responsibility to ask questions and do my homework when choosing a provider, its also my responsibility to continue to monitor the care my child receives. I'm tired of all the government responsibility arguments because it takes the responsibility away from the parents who should be the one's monitoring their child's care.

While I understand your point, your situation is totally different from the OP. Its not a one time thing that a person who stays away from medication is dealing with. Its is a chronic issue which means OP deals with it daily (the medication I'm referring too). Her tolerance (and most likely dosing amount) is completely different from yours.

Hope you're feeling better after your surgery BTW!
Oh of course i understand what you are saying, but from what I have experienced, I just can't imagine anyone trying to care for a child who is under the influence of ANYTHING.

My aunt, sweetest person you will ever meet is a lifer on pain meds. She has had over 13 back surgeries and lives on paid meds daily. While she seems ok and is a very wonderful person, I could NEVER imagine her being a daycare provider. I have witnessed her passing out on several occasions, she vomits almost daily, and she is always delayed with her thinking. I am shocked that she is even allowed to drive.

As much as we love her, no one in our family will allow for her to babysit our kids. She takes great offense to this, but we try to tell her it's because we are worried if something happened to you while you were caring for the kids, we wouldn't know.

lol..I lost my train of thought and have no clue where I am going with this....see, what pain meds do to you....
Lyss 10:51 AM 05-02-2013
In a nutshell, yes, we are the providers and we are the business owners. I have read though time and time again on education of parents and I guess one thing that parents really need to know is really ask questions, learn about your provider and if something really seems off, go with your gut. If that means they are using something even with a doctors prescription that makes you as a parent uncomfortable (I think every provider here said it would) then thats not the provider for you.

Unregistered 09:54 PM 05-08-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
Exactly this. I have lupus I do not necessarily disclose that at interviews. Most of my parents know. But, that is after we have that relationship. That way if I look at them and say I am just tired this week so we have been a little more mellow, they know. They know in the summer that the sun does get to me etc. I am not on any meds and my doctor note is with the county stating that I can do childcare etc.

I also have lupus (SLE) and I disclose that to my clients because I don't want them to assume I'm lazy or incapable of doing my job if I'm in a flare that's particularly brutal. I'm not on anything meds during daycare hours that would affect my performance with my job. My doctors have all cleared me for doing my job so that's all good.

By the way, did you all know that May is Lupus Awareness Month???
Michelle 12:17 PM 05-13-2013
Its not to scare anyone but a look at how our world/country is changing!

We have heard about sister wives, gay marriages, prescription drugs, legal marijuanna, media for preschoolers, proper way to sleep babies, transportation slips, handbooks, forms, forms and more forms quality education for preschoolers, certificates/degrees to teach in your own home, etc. here on the forum/newspapers/classes/etc.

20 years ago when I started this (17 officially), the only thing that was suggested was to have a simple contract if you wanted with parents and to take 8 hours (for me) every 2 years, which seemed like sooooo much back then.

People were astionished that I did arts/crafts/preschool 18 years ago with my childcare. To me that seemed like the norm as I did the same with my own children. It seemed like the natural thing to do. Why wouldn't someone want that and thats what made my childcare stand out over others. Now its the norm and you need to have sooo much more!

Now we have so many more issues in the world/homes/families that need to be addressed and we need to stay up on all current events, laws, rights, and what is happening in the childcare world between parents/providers.

Childcare is not just a home business anymore, but much, much more!

OK I have to admit... I started the sister wives thread partly as a joke.. I think this board needs to lighten up !
I am sorry about this... I was not trying to stir up trouble

and I am not a sister wife... by the way!

as far as meds go... I think I would have to agree with bc but if I ever had to take meds myself... I would not be doing this job... it is too important and little kids lives are at stake.
Can you imagine falling asleep or being so out of it that you can't keep track of them outside? yikes!
(this is just what I would do... not what others should do)
Cradle2crayons 04:24 PM 05-13-2013

I think the point that some aren't understanding. People that are on long term narcotics do NOT HAVE THISE SAME TYPES OF SIDE FFECTS as those who are only taking them on a limited short term plan.

Nurses all over the world take chronic pain medications and you would never know unless they told you.

I'm not talking about people who ABUSE narcotics. I'm talking about those on chronic pain medication.

Really it's no different than a diabetic on chronic medications or an asthmatic on chronic meds or any other condition. At first they may have a few side effects but after getting acclimated, they generally don't have side effects.

Those of you who are saying those who take long term narcotics are IMPAIRED even if they are taking them correctly and are monitored are extremely MISINFORMED on this entire topic.
Hunni Bee 05:30 PM 05-13-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
OK I have to admit... I started the sister wives thread partly as a joke.. I think this board needs to lighten up !

Really?
Cradle2crayons 05:54 PM 05-13-2013

as far as meds go... I think I would have to agree with bc but if I ever had to take meds myself... I would not be doing this job... it is too important and little kids lives are at stake.
Can you imagine falling asleep or being so out of it that you can't keep track of them outside? yikes!
Michelle, thanks for that post.

Im the OP of the post about prescription drugs. The post wasn't about me. It's the story of an awesome friend of mine who does keep a few of her nieces but wants to open a home daycare. She lives about an hour from me. So I told her I'd post and see what other providers thought.

Honestly I was HORRIFIED at some of the responses I saw on this thread.

I think the very FIRST THING people saw on this thread title was DRUGS. By the time they were done reading that word, e rest of the information was ignored.

First of all, she has chronic abdominal pain from a surgery she had botched years ago. She then was in a car wreck and had to have a vertebra fixed. She's able to walk, can be diver and lift kids and honestly is in better shape physically than some admissions ice seen on this board.

She started seeing a pain doctor years ago to help her get her life back so she could raise her own kids as well and live as normal of a life as possible.

The pain doctor provided her that life. She goes every other month and has blood work done to be sure her levels are not too high or low. He counts her pills every other month. She's entered into a database that makes sure his patients don't get any other meds filled at any other pharmacy for all of his patients. She also pees in a cup every other month. After about a year of regulating her on her oral pain meds he placed her on the 3 day patch and was able to lower her pill usage down to two a day. The first few months she had side effects on the new meds but after six months of regulation, he signed a form saying she was saving to use machinery, Run a daycare and anything else she wanted to do. WITH NO RESTRICTIONS WHATSOEVER.

Those of you who think you know more than this doctor, maybe you are in the wrong profession.

But here's another admission. I've been seeing a pain management doctor for five years. I also use the three day patch and meds for breakthrough.

If I was as impaired as you guys assume all us PAIN PATIENTS ARE... I'll bet not a single one of you EVER in your wildest dreams would have guessed it. In person or on here. Unless I told you.

My parents don't have a right to know. Because I'm not impaired. And you know what else?? I take EXCELLENT care of my own kids and my daycare kids.

Ad you know what else?? I get sick and tired of people assuming that someone with a medical problem can't take care of kids.

And I do it by myself. 20 hours a day some days.

While I'm at it, why not tell you I have to use oxygen at night due to being on long term life support when I was 21. I had a 1% chance of survival. I also have kidney disease and a few other things. And from what I've learned... I can still run circles around most people I know..

So... There's my two cents
Michelle 09:45 PM 05-13-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:

Really?

yea I was really hoping to hear some funny jokes to lighten the board.
I think that people have posted sillier things than this, soooo please don't be mad..

I use to watch that show on HBO... Big Love
I never took it seriously, it was just a good Drama that I watched sometimes when I was bored. That's were I got the idea..

Anyways I really admire C2C honesty and I would leave my dd with her!
Blackcat31 06:13 AM 05-14-2013

I think that people have posted sillier things than this,
So you made up a post about a specific way of life; a way of life some people deeply believe in so that you could hear some funny jokes???

Willow 06:14 AM 05-14-2013
Cradle2crayons - just because people disagree with you, doesn't mean they're wrong.

You can deny the statistics revolving around the abuse of prescription drug use all you want, that opinion doesn't negate the facts.

Are there some people that can function fine on potent and high dose prescription drug therapies? Of course. But the vast majority CAN'T. That is plain as day, we are smack dab in the middle of an epidemic as far as how bad it is.

You cannot blame a patent who considers the statistics and chooses a more conservative route. If you're not one that has had a problem with them then why would you lump yourself into the group that can or does and get all butt hurt about parents fearing the very real potential of drug abuse and addiction around their children? If that is not who or how you are why can you not separate yourself and acknowledge that not everyone is like you? Not everyone can handle them like you do?

Parents are not addiction specialists. There is Jo clear cut way to know short of a well times blood test and parents don't have access or rights to that.

So what is their solution??

Do you really expect millions of parents out there to just blindly trust a stranger because they SAY they're being responsible?
bunnyslippers 06:29 AM 05-14-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:

Im the OP of the post about prescription drugs. The post wasn't about me. It's the story of an awesome friend of mine who does keep a few of her nieces but wants to open a home daycare. She lives about an hour from me. So I told her I'd post and see what other providers thought.

Honestly I was HORRIFIED at some of the responses I saw on this thread.

I think the very FIRST THING people saw on this thread title was DRUGS. By the time they were done reading that word, e rest of the information was ignored.

First of all, she has chronic abdominal pain from a surgery she had botched years ago. She then was in a car wreck and had to have a vertebra fixed. She's able to walk, can be diver and lift kids and honestly is in better shape physically than some admissions ice seen on this board.

She started seeing a pain doctor years ago to help her get her life back so she could raise her own kids as well and live as normal of a life as possible.

The pain doctor provided her that life. She goes every other month and has blood work done to be sure her levels are not too high or low. He counts her pills every other month. She's entered into a database that makes sure his patients don't get any other meds filled at any other pharmacy for all of his patients. She also pees in a cup every other month. After about a year of regulating her on her oral pain meds he placed her on the 3 day patch and was able to lower her pill usage down to two a day. The first few months she had side effects on the new meds but after six months of regulation, he signed a form saying she was saving to use machinery, Run a daycare and anything else she wanted to do. WITH NO RESTRICTIONS WHATSOEVER.

Those of you who think you know more than this doctor, maybe you are in the wrong profession.

But here's another admission. I've been seeing a pain management doctor for five years. I also use the three day patch and meds for breakthrough.

If I was as impaired as you guys assume all us PAIN PATIENTS ARE... I'll bet not a single one of you EVER in your wildest dreams would have guessed it. In person or on here. Unless I told you.

My parents don't have a right to know. Because I'm not impaired. And you know what else?? I take EXCELLENT care of my own kids and my daycare kids.

Ad you know what else?? I get sick and tired of people assuming that someone with a medical problem can't take care of kids.

And I do it by myself. 20 hours a day some days.

While I'm at it, why not tell you I have to use oxygen at night due to being on long term life support when I was 21. I had a 1% chance of survival. I also have kidney disease and a few other things. And from what I've learned... I can still run circles around most people I know..

So... There's my two cents

Cradle2crayons 06:47 AM 05-14-2013

I think that people have posted sillier things than this, soooo please don't be mad..

I use to watch that show on HBO... Big Love
I never took it seriously, it was just a good Drama that I watched sometimes when I was bored. That's were I got the idea..

Anyways I really admire C2C honesty and I would leave my dd with her!
Thank you Michelle...
Cradle2crayons 06:51 AM 05-14-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Cradle2crayons - just because people disagree with you, doesn't mean they're wrong.

You can deny the statistics revolving around the abuse of prescription drug use all you want, that opinion doesn't negate the facts.

Are there some people that can function fine on potent and high dose prescription drug therapies? Of course. But the vast majority CAN'T. That is plain as day, we are smack dab in the middle of an epidemic as far as how bad it is.

You cannot blame a patent who considers the statistics and chooses a more conservative route. If you're not one that has had a problem with them then why would you lump yourself into the group that can or does and get all butt hurt about parents fearing the very real potential of drug abuse and addiction around their children? If that is not who or how you are why can you not separate yourself and acknowledge that not everyone is like you? Not everyone can handle them like you do?

Parents are not addiction specialists. There is Jo clear cut way to know short of a well times blood test and parents don't have access or rights to that.

Do you really expect millions of parents out there to just blindly trust a stranger because they SAY they're being responsible?
Nope, that's why I don't disclose and don't have a plan to. Morally and ethically they have no right to know.

They only have a right to know something that may potentially reflect care given. And my issues... Do not.

However, say I fall and break my leg.... That may effect care given and that's a different concept.

Chronic pain and monitored medication use doesn't equate to abuse of narcotics
rmc20021 06:54 AM 05-14-2013

Very well said, and I totally agree. 10 years ago, most people probably wouldn't have given it a second thought about a provider being under the care of a doctor for chronic pain and using prescription pain meds. Today, there is a whole new society out there. Because of that, parents DO need to be more cautious of providers who use prescription pain meds.

As I stated before, people who HAVE become addicted/dependent on narcotics have discovered many ways of altering drug screens...so that means nothing to me that someone has to pee in a cup every month.

The same goes for the doctor's having patients in a database to monitor if they are getting narcotics from another doctor. They are EASILY available on the street and most people who misuse these drugs know where to find them.

As for blood test to monitor the levels...that can be beat as well by timing the last dose before they go for a drug screen, which can easily be done when they know in advance when a drug test will be done.

NOW...with all that being said. I also agree that not everyone who uses narcotics are addicted to them. If they use them for long term though, they ARE dependent on them and if they were to suddenly stop, they would go into withdrawals the same as someone who is addicted...maybe not as bad, but all the same withdrawals.

Is someone who is using narcotics under the influence...YES they are, whether they are using them as prescribed or otherwise, and it may just be a matter of to what degree, but they are STILL under the influence. The same as if someone takes one drink or 10...they are still under the influence no matter how well they may be able to handle themselves.

I believe (and this is strictly my own personal opinion) that most people who use narcotics do continue to have the side effects after extended use, it's just that they have become used to it and it's a normal feeling for them.

And I am NOT saying someone who uses pain meds as prescribed cannot provide quality care for a child...but personally I would rather have someone who is not using them care for my child than someone who is using them. JUST TO MAKE MYSELF FEEL CONFIDENT THAT NOTHING GOES WRONG.
MyAngels 06:55 AM 05-14-2013

So why wouldn't you just have started a "let's lighten up and hear some good jokes" thread instead of picking a potentially controversial subject that isn't especially funny and posting as unregistered?

This is exactly the reason that so many members here won't even respond to unregistered posters. What happens when someone posts as unregistered and actually needs some help? They most likely won't get the varying viewpoints and discussion they might have if there weren't so many trolls, let alone our own members, trying to stir things up.
Willow 07:00 AM 05-14-2013
Nope, that's why I don't disclose and don't have a plan to. Morally and ethically they have no right to know.
In your OPINION.

There are legalities, and then there are ethics. I realize what the legalities are but that's not what we're discussing here.

Ethics ARE debatable. Many providers believe the ethical thing would be to disclose and many parents feel they do have a right to know

You cannot dictate your personal code of ethics to the masses. That is not the way ethics work.

They only have a right to know something that may potentially reflect care given. And my issues... Do not.
No one was talking about you though, so I'm not sure why you keep interjecting yourself here as if everyone is?

Add to that, your individual situation has no bearing on how the situation should be handled with other providers or with other parents. When sorting out what is best you cannot ONLY consider your individual circumstances.

Not everyone is you.

Not everyone is going to be able to handle things the way you have.

Bottom line is - where does that leave parents and how does that protection/privacy help keep kids safe from providers who have fallen victim to the prescription drug epidemic?
Willow 07:02 AM 05-14-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
So why wouldn't you just have started a "let's lighten up and hear some good jokes" thread instead of picking a potentially controversial subject that isn't especially funny and posting as unregistered?

This is exactly the reason that so many members here won't even respond to unregistered posters. What happens when someone posts as unregistered and actually needs some help? They most likely won't get the varying viewpoints and discussion they might have if there weren't so many trolls, let alone our own members, trying to stir things up.

Agree.

How absolutely ridiculous.......
Cradle2crayons 07:08 AM 05-14-2013
Very well said, and I totally agree. 10 years ago, most people probably wouldn't have given it a second thought about a provider being under the care of a doctor for chronic pain and using prescription pain meds. Today, there is a whole new society out there. Because of that, parents DO need to be more cautious of providers who use prescription pain meds.
parents should be cautious of all providers regardless.
As I stated before, people who HAVE become addicted/dependent on narcotics have discovered many ways of altering drug screens...so that means nothing to me that someone has to pee in a cup every month.

I can assure you it's not simply a pee in a cup thing. It's much more detailed than that. And theses tests know if there is an altering method used. This doctor doesn't use standard on any screens.

The same goes for the doctor's having patients in a database to monitor if they are getting narcotics from another doctor. They are EASILY available on the street and most people who misuse these drugs know where to find them.

As for blood test to monitor the levels...that can be beat as well by timing the last dose before they go for a drug screen, which can easily be done when they know in advance when a drug test will be done.

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"][/color]The blood tests my doc does is a panel that costs about a grand a pop. Is a new test that can tell exactly how many I've taken and what times over a certain period of time.not to mention I don't always know when which panels are being done.

NOW...with all that being said. I also agree that not everyone who uses narcotics are addicted to them. If they use them for long term though, they ARE dependent on them and if they were to suddenly stop, they would go into withdrawals the same as someone who is addicted...maybe not as bad, but all the same withdrawals.

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"][/color]Actually that's not true for everyone. I've ran out before when his office was closed on vacation and I had to make an appointment for two weeks after my regular appointment. I was out for about a week. Never had the first withdrawal symptom.

Is someone who is using narcotics under the influence...YES they are, whether they are using them as prescribed or otherwise, and it may just be a matter of to what degree, but they are STILL under the influence. The same as if someone takes one drink or 10...they are still under the influence no matter how well they may be able to handle themselves.

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"][/color]That means for all those on here who kick back and drink a few beers after daycare kids leave still have some alcohol in their system.. At least possibly

I believe (and this is strictly my own personal opinion) that most people who use narcotics do continue to have the side effects after extended use, it's just that they have become used to it and it's a normal feeling for them.

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"][/color]Some people just don't have side effects. You can't lump us all into one category.

And I am NOT saying someone who uses pain meds as prescribed cannot provide quality care for a child...but personally I would rather have someone who is not using them care for my child than someone who is using them. JUST TO MAKE MYSELF FEEL CONFIDENT THAT NOTHING GOES WRONG

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"][/color]
Something can go wrong whether someone is a chronic pain patient or not

There's my two and three cents worth flame me or not.
Willow 07:24 AM 05-14-2013
[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"][/color]
Something can go wrong whether someone is a chronic pain patient or not

There's my two and three cents worth flame me or not.
No one is flaming you, please reign in the dramatics a bit.....

Have your opinions, but expect others will too.

Just because people disagree with your position that this is a valid concern doesn't mean you're being any kind of attacked.
mamac 07:25 AM 05-14-2013
Bottom line is - where does that leave parents and how does that protection/privacy help keep kids safe from providers who have fallen victim to the prescription drug epidemic?
Why does this fall on just daycare providers then?? Why not demand this information from our children's teachers, doctors, gymnastics teachers, clergy, etc?

Prescription pain medications affect EVERY profession.
Blackcat31 07:29 AM 05-14-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
Why does this fall on just daycare providers then?? Why not demand this information from our children's teachers, doctors, gymnastics teachers, clergy, etc?

Prescription pain medications affect EVERY profession.
I am speculating that child care providers are different because most of them work in their own homes, are left alone with a group of children that are too young to speak or communicate what goes on each day.

Which is a lot different that the roles a teacher (older kids), a doctor (not left alone with a child) and the others you mentioned (again rarely left alone with small children under their supervision)
Willow 07:39 AM 05-14-2013
I am speculating that child care providers are different because most of them work in their own homes, are left alone with a group of children that are too young to speak or communicate what goes on each day.

Which is a lot different that the roles a teacher (older kids), a doctor (not left alone with a child) and the others you mentioned (again rarely left alone with small children under their supervision)
Having a system of checks n balances in place can definitely make all the difference.

Young children are incredibly vulnerable in that they are largely incapable of caring for themselves, they cannot identify or report behavioral changes in their provider and they usually are incapable of getting help on their own if something goes wrong.

Many are left in care for extended periods of time and most in home providers operate their daycares alone.

That can be a recipe for disaster on many levels when you get to throwing potential addiction in the mix.
Cradle2crayons 07:43 AM 05-14-2013
Having a system of checks n balances in place can definitely make all the difference.

Young children are incredibly vulnerable in that they are largely incapable of caring for themselves, they cannot identify or report behavioral changes in their provider and they usually are incapable of getting help on their own if something goes wrong.

Many are left in care for extended periods of time and most in home providers operate their daycares alone.

That can be a recipe for disaster on many levels when you get to throwing potential addiction in the mix.
That's very true not just about potential addiction but also abuse both physically and emotionally from providers who don't use any DRUGS AT ALL.

But considering I spend quite a bit of time with my parents during hours and outside I'm pretty sure they'd notice if anything was other than the norm.

However I did have a family long ago the kids told me I details of drug use going on at home. They could tell me when, how, and to what extent that mama acted weird....

I called CPs.
mamac 07:48 AM 05-14-2013

I figured that would be the response. I was going to elaborate but was hoping to keep it simple.

I just meant that we entrust our children's care to many people without ever knowing anything about their personal lives. Yes, most of the times in my examples the parent's are on site with their children. But that doesn't mean that they can prevent anything bad from happening if someone made a poor decision because they were impaired due to taking prescription pain meds. Impaired is impaired. It takes a split second for someone to do the wrong thing whether there is parental supervision or not. Based on the explanation you provided, that would mean that parents would be okay with knowingly having their child's doctor on pain meds while making a life and death decision about their child, right? Probably not. Parents make decisions all the time about their child's "caregivers" based on personal experience with them and their guts feelings and not necessarily on information about them.
Blackcat31 07:54 AM 05-14-2013
Originally Posted by mamac:
I figured that would be the response. I was going to elaborate but was hoping to keep it simple.

I just meant that we entrust our children's care to many people without ever knowing anything about their personal lives. Yes, most of the times in my examples the parent's are on site with their children. But that doesn't mean that they can prevent anything bad from happening if someone made a poor decision because they were impaired due to taking prescription pain meds. Impaired is impaired. It takes a split second for someone to do the wrong thing whether there is parental supervision or not. Based on the explanation you provided, that would mean that parents would be okay with knowingly having their child's doctor on pain meds while making a life and death decision about their child, right? Probably not. Parents make decisions all the time about their child's "caregivers" based on personal experience with them and their guts feelings and not necessarily on information about them.
That is so true.

Most of my DCP's know very little about my personal life.

Rarely do I share details with them. Other than who my DH is, as he spends time here at the daycare but VERY few of my daycare parents know where I live, who my friends are, what I do on my off hours and who I am other than their child care provider.

They don't know if I drink, smoke, take prescription drugs or belong to a gang.

All they have to go on is their gut instincts, references from others and what we talk about during the interview. (and info from the state about my license but that stuff is a given for most providers).
rmc20021 08:01 AM 05-14-2013
That's very true not just about potential addiction but also abuse both physically and emotionally from providers who don't use any DRUGS AT ALL.

But considering I spend quite a bit of time with my parents during hours and outside I'm pretty sure they'd notice if anything was other than the norm.

However I did have a family long ago the kids told me I details of drug use going on at home. They could tell me when, how, and to what extent that mama acted weird....

I called CPs.
Let me ask you a couple questions...do your dcp's know, or would you be willing to inform them of prescription pain killer use? Why, or why not?

Please do not think I am in any way attacking your or judging YOU...I'm only giving my personal opinion, the same as you are and we all have different thoughts on the subject.

As for being cautious of any provider...by ALL means, I'd just be more cautious of someone I knew was using narcotics while my child was in their care (which would not happen if I was aware of it).

You don't need to defend your use of medications...it is what it is and if you need it, by all means use it. However you have to expect there ARE going to be parents who have concerns with it.
Willow 08:04 AM 05-14-2013
mamac - jmho, I think it's all about minimizing risk where we feel we can. Every parent and every provider has had their own life experiences which lead us all to prioritize in different ways.

Doing foster care for a number of years, watching the effects addiction have on good people, seeing families ripped apart and never making it back together again....it all sealed the deal on this topic for me.

Addicts are people too. They aren't monsters and the only thing that separates many from you or I is a sports injury, or car accident. Some people act as if it could never happen to them, ask any addict and they'll tell you it's not something they ever planned for or anticipated either.

The best way to safeguard is to supervise. Directly or indirectly by knowing if you can't be there to see someone else is right there.

Most inhome daycares don't have that available or ability which leaves kids in that situation particularly vulnerable.

I do believe there should be extra precautions taken by licensing regarding physical and mental health to safeguard.
Michelle 08:12 AM 05-14-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:

well, like in another thread..people told me that not everyone does things the same way and everyone has the right to do things their own way.

Blackcat31 08:25 AM 05-14-2013
From my standpoint, I think is be pretty open minded. I'd want to know from the potential providers doctor that says there isn't any contraindications to the provider doing daycare, I'd also ask for lots of references. And if I went on an interview I'm pretty sure I can tell if the is impaired in just a few minutes. If all went well, I'd see no reason why provider couldn't do great at Childcare. Good luck OP
You say later in this thread that you think people who use prescription meds RARELY show any kind of impairment so how can you tell in just a few minutes if a provider is or isn't impaired?

So you are or you aren't the person the OP (you) were asking about?

Is there a friend or is the friend hypothetical and you were really asking for yourself?

I am confused about your "admission"......

Why would you NOT disclose when you just said in the first post I quoted that "I'd want to know from the potential providers doctor that says there isn't any contraindications to the provider doing daycare",?

Seems to me those are two very differing and opposite statements.
mamac 11:03 AM 05-14-2013
mamac - jmho, I think it's all about minimizing risk where we feel we can. Every parent and every provider has had their own life experiences which lead us all to prioritize in different ways.
I completely agree. But have you ever had anyone that your child has been in regular contact with tell you their medical history just so you would know? I get where everyone is coming from when they say a provider should tell, but then that requirement should also apply to anyone making decisions for a child whether they are completely under their care or not. I'd be more apt leave my child with a provider on pain meds who I felt in my gut was able to care for my child all day than to trust a surgeon or swim teacher on pain meds to ensure my child's safety.

I do believe there should be extra precautions taken by licensing regarding physical and mental health to safeguard.
This. This is what I am more concerned about than anyone being on prescription pain meds. Mental health issues. If a person forgets to take their pain meds- no harm, no foul. They end up in a lot of pain. If a person with a mental disorder forgets their meds- big problems can arise. I'd much rather know if my provider was seeing a shrink or had bi-polar issues (or the like) than to know if they were taking medications to control chronic pain. But yet, (and I'm sure there are many of you out there) how many providers willingly admit to their clients that they are seeing a psychologist or a psychiatrist?
Cradle2crayons 12:04 PM 05-14-2013
Let me ask you a couple questions...do your dcp's know, or would you be willing to inform them of prescription pain killer use? Why, or why not?

Please do not think I am in any way attacking your or judging YOU...I'm only giving my personal opinion, the same as you are and we all have different thoughts on the subject.

As for being cautious of any provider...by ALL means, I'd just be more cautious of someone I knew was using narcotics while my child was in their care (which would not happen if I was aware of it).

You don't need to defend your use of medications...it is what it is and if you need it, by all means use it. However you have to expect there ARE going to be parents who have concerns with it.
In my twenty years of doing Childcare and nursing, my chronic pain issues have never meant squat to my parents. They know i TAKE awesome care ifntheirnkids, theynknowim not impaired and if asked, I'd show them all the reports from my doctors. I generally don't just tell them at interview but yes, most of the time I disclose at some point.

NONE OFMTHEM HAVE EVER CARED IN THE LEAST BIT.

those that do know, swear they'd have never known if I hadn't told them. My own mother doesn't even know as well as any other friends snd family that dint know.

As far as I'm concerned, I know I take excellent care of their kids and that's all they need to know.
Blackcat31 12:15 PM 05-14-2013

In my twenty years of doing Childcare and nursing, my chronic pain issues have never meant squat to my parents. They know i TAKE awesome care ifntheirnkids, theynknowim not impaired and if asked, I'd show them all the reports from my doctors. I generally don't just tell them at interview but yes, most of the time I disclose at some point.

NONE OFMTHEM HAVE EVER CARED IN THE LEAST BIT.

those that do know, swear they'd have never known if I hadn't told them. My own mother doesn't even know as well as any other friends snd family that dint know.

As far as I'm concerned, I know I take excellent care of their kids and that's all they need to know.
Again, two COMPLETELY different statements.

First you said you don't disclose and have no plans to and then you said that you do disclose at some point.

NOT picking on you...just confused as to where you stand.
Cradle2crayons 12:24 PM 05-14-2013
Again, two COMPLETELY different statements.

First you said you don't disclose and have no plans to and then you said that you do disclose at some point.

NOT picking on you...just confused as to where you stand.
It's clearly not two different statements. As I said, I don't disclose at interview, but that doesn't mean at some point down the road I wouldn't disclose and I have done so.

Seems pretty clear to me
Blackcat31 12:31 PM 05-14-2013
It's clearly not two different statements. As I said, I don't disclose at interview, but that doesn't mean at some point down the road I wouldn't disclose and I have done so.

Seems pretty clear to me
Your statement was "Nope, that's why I don't disclose and don't have a plan to. Morally and ethically they have no right to know."

That is pretty clear.

It says to me that you don't disclose and don't have a plan to.

It doesn't say you don't disclose at certain times but at other times you will.

It clearly says to me that you don't disclose and don't have a plan to.

But now you are saying you don't disclose at the time of interview but that doesn't mean you won't sometime down the road....

How do you not see that as saying two different things?
Cradle2crayons 12:58 PM 05-14-2013
Your statement was "Nope, that's why I don't disclose and don't have a plan to. Morally and ethically they have no right to know."

That is pretty clear.

It says to me that you don't disclose and don't have a plan to.

It doesn't say you don't disclose at certain times but at other times you will.

It clearly says to me that you don't disclose and don't have a plan to.

But now you are saying you don't disclose at the time of interview but that doesn't mean you won't sometime down the road....

How do you not see that as saying two different things?
All I see is you taking certain parts of what I said and decide to mix them around and say they are different.l

As I said, I don't disclose at INTERVIEW, but at some point I may chose to disclose. The rest of my statements went to that same sentence.

But as usual, people here simply take bits and pieces and merge them together and say its all the same.

Who cares.

Point being, I'm not impaired, and I am perfectly capable of caring for as many children as I am allowed in my care. As my doctor says. And as my parents say.

I could care less about people on here twisting my words and phrases to make them look like they have a clue.

Walk in my shoes, then you'll know a lot more than just research stories, media, and ignorant statements from "experts" who have no idea how to take care of kiddos.

Point closed. Y'all have an excellent day... I know I am
Blackcat31 01:52 PM 05-14-2013
All I see is you taking certain parts of what I said and decide to mix them around and say they are different.
I quoted BOTH your previous posts ENTIRELY with NO MISSING words/content in my previous post.

I did not twist or change any of YOUR words.

Who cares.
Well, you must care because you have stated your opinion several times in this thread. I only asked for clarification.

Point being, I'm not impaired, and I am perfectly capable of caring for as many children as I am allowed in my care. As my doctor says. And as my parents say.

I could care less about people on here twisting my words and phrases to make them look like they have a clue.
I didn't say or imply that you were impaired. Again I NEVER twisted your words or phases....I asked you to clarify your words or phases.

That has nothing to do with me thinking I "have a clue".

As a matter of fact, I had NO CLUE what you were trying to say, hence the request for further explanation.

Walk in my shoes, then you'll know a lot more than just research stories, media, and ignorant statements from "experts" who have no idea how to take care of kiddos.

Point closed. Y'all have an excellent day... I know I am
I will never understand why someone makes a strong argument for something multiple times with in a thread and then when someone questions them or asks for clarification or for further explanation, they get mad and refuse to continue discussing the issue.
Michelle 02:07 PM 05-14-2013
someone should have been a lawyer instead of a child care provider

Michelle 02:13 PM 05-14-2013
Agree.

How absolutely ridiculous.......
I also sank the Titanic, made that whole in the ozone layer, and was solely responsible for stealing King Tut's jewels!

Crystal 02:45 PM 05-14-2013

whooooaaaaaahhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why do you feel the need to be rude, sarcastic and condescending to Blackcat? She has done nothing to warrant your childish behavior being aimed at her.
Lyss 02:45 PM 05-14-2013
Just wondering how many of your DCPs actually know then? Not stirring drama or saying anything about your ability to provide care, but I'm actually very curious.

Clarification please? Its sounding as though you think because someone doesn't agree with your stance/situation that means they are ignorant and don't know how to care for kids. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong? Did you mean doctors or researchers that say you shouldn't take care of kids?
Crystal 02:48 PM 05-14-2013

Well, that was a REALLY mature way to go about seeking attention, whihc seems to be very important to you
Blackcat31 03:14 PM 05-14-2013

Someone should have been an adult and kept her not-so-nice comments to herself instead of making unnecessary and rude statements.

Michelle 03:46 PM 05-14-2013
Someone should have been an adult and kept her not-so-nice comments to herself instead of making unnecessary and rude statements.

You are really smart and would make a very good lawyer!
that's all I was saying...

Michelle 03:47 PM 05-14-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Well, that was a REALLY mature way to go about seeking attention, whihc seems to be very important to you

Crystal 03:54 PM 05-14-2013
You are really smart and would make a very good lawyer!
that's all I was saying...

hence the reason for the roll eyes.
Michelle 04:50 PM 05-14-2013
hence the reason for the roll eyes.
wow, you can read minds too!
Crystal 05:05 PM 05-14-2013
wow, you can read minds too!
hmmmm.....so, what were the roll eyes for then?

And, you're close....I did know you started the sister wife thread and I knew cradles2crayons started this one....and I don't even have mod powers
Michelle 05:11 PM 05-14-2013
hmmmm.....so, what were the roll eyes for then?

And, you're close....I did know you started the sister wife thread and I knew cradles2crayons started this one....and I don't even have mod powers

coolness!

Hey I was wondering..
I am looking into getting my masters in child development but the only way I can do it is online...
I have checked into it but there are a lot of online schools.
Are there any that you recommend or should I try to do it at night at my local college?
Crystal 05:59 PM 05-14-2013
Pacific Oaks College has an on-line master's in ECE
Unregistered 11:12 PM 05-19-2013
Medical marijuana is similar to alcohol use and from what I understand is subject to the same laws.

Use would NOT be legal WHILE on the job.

If you had a medical condition that makes it so you cannot make it through the day without using marijuana, then it is highly doubtful that a doctor would sign off on allowing you to care for children.

Oh, and just an FYI....a majority of people who use marijuana for medical purposes don't smoke it. There are many ways to use marijuana without having to smoke it like cigarettes.
Also, there is a PILL (that pro legalization people don't want to talk about) that gives the benefit of Marijuana without the impairment/ bad side effects. It's legal in all 50 states.
Cradle2crayons 04:40 AM 05-20-2013
Originally Posted by Lyss:
Just wondering how many of your DCPs actually know then? Not stirring drama or saying anything about your ability to provide care, but I'm actually very curious.

here is my answer to your statement

To answer this...ALL of my parents know. I didn't tell them at interview. None Of them ever notice anything different. I don't have to disclose at interview and I don't. I usually wait until I have a relationship with them. Every one of them state they had no idea. At least half of them state to me they've had back surgery or etc and they understand and wish they had a good doctor their I durance would pay for as well etc etc. I even show them exactly what I take, the reports from my doctor showing levels in my blood, pill counts, random testing he does that has all kinds of details, and his letter that im safe to drive and his handout that shows research that chronic pain patients that are well regulated don't have side effects like acute users do... Etc etc. do I think they have a right to know??? No I don't. There was one or two parents that were part time or short term care I didn't tell.

Clarification please? Its sounding as though you think because someone doesn't agree with your stance/situation that means they are ignorant and don't know how to care for kids. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong? Did you mean doctors or researchers that say you shouldn't take care of kids?
I'm pretty big at teaching tolerance, so it's not those that don't agree that bother me. It's those that base their uneducated opinions on lack of research and exoereince and give that opinion as fact that bothers me. I've never met a doctor who thought I shouldn't be doing child care or nursing. Which by the way, I do the minimum as an RN to keep my license and cue hours active. The hospital I've been working at for 11 years PRN knows my history as well.
Tags:medication - policy
1 2
Reply Up