Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Infant Schedule is Backwards
284878 08:48 AM 02-21-2018
Normally a baby goes down for a nap right after a bottle for me. My new DCB has a different schedule than the avg baby. DCM wants him to wake after his bottle, she says he does not sleep well if he gets laid down right away. He is to play for an hour then, when he gets tired lay him down. He falls asleep on his own when he is laid down.

Has anyone had an infant with this kind of schedule before, did it work well?
Baby Beluga 08:54 AM 02-21-2018
Yup. Both of my kids.

Sounds like it's an eat, play, sleep cycle. Is he/she babywise baby?

The eat, play, sleep cycle worked well for us because 1) DS was a huge reflux baby and had to be totally upright for 30 minutes after eating and 2) it helped to not make food/sleep associations which in turned helped with him sleeping own his own.

Even now I usually have my DCK's read for about 20 minutes after lunch before laying down. Unless they are being unruly, in which case lunch then nap it is
boy_mom 09:03 AM 02-21-2018
Yes, I did this with both my children and encouraged it with most of my daycare babies. I just preferred to not have children associate food/eating with part of the sleep routine. I never had any issues!
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 09:11 AM 02-21-2018
Yes, sounds like an EASY schedule (Eat, Activity, Sleep, Your time). Both my kids were on that routine, and it is also what I work toward with the daycare babies. For me it's easier to predict. I know they will be ready to eat when they wake up, then when tired cues hit it's time to lay down. No "oh man, he looks tired, I need to go make a bottle" only to have them fall asleep halfway through. And then have them wake up when I try to transfer!
sammie 09:13 AM 02-21-2018
I did this with both of my kids also. It's nice because they learn how to fall asleep on their own.
amberrose3dg 09:18 AM 02-21-2018
Originally Posted by 284878:
Normally a baby goes down for a nap right after a bottle for me. My new DCB has a different schedule than the avg baby. DCM wants him to wake after his bottle, she says he does not sleep well if he gets laid down right away. He is to play for an hour then, when he gets tired lay him down. He falls asleep on his own when he is laid down.

A young infant typically is good with eating and then sleeping. Once I start working with them on sleep training and a routine I feed them on demand but try to feed them an hour or so before afternoon nap. They play and usually go down without much issues. As long as the baby is happy and eating/ sleeping ok I think whatever works. The sooner they get used to a routine they are happier IMO.
daycarediva 09:21 AM 02-21-2018

This is how my grandbaby is. Eat/play/sleep. She is 5m and goes down completely on her own. Her cues are easy, too. Rubbing eyes, time for nap.
284878 10:23 AM 02-21-2018
Thanks all. I seriously have never had an infant on this schedule but I'm glad to hear that it is more common than I thought. DCB is here today and it seems to be working out great just like some of you said his hungry and sleep cues are easier to detect. The other baby I have in care is on the schedule that I consider average eat sleep play. So it's interesting to have two different infant on two different schedules.

I do have one question how does the schedule work for middle-of-the-night feedings? Does the infant expect to stay up and play then too?
TheMisplacedMidwestMom 12:08 PM 02-21-2018
Thanks all. I seriously have never had an infant on this schedule but I'm glad to hear that it is more common than I thought. DCB is here today and it seems to be working out great just like some of you said his hungry and sleep cues are easier to detect. The other baby I have in care is on the schedule that I consider average eat sleep play. So it's interesting to have two different infant on two different schedules.

I do have one question how does the schedule work for middle-of-the-night feedings? Does the infant expect to stay up and play then too?
I started the EASY schedule after reading "The Baby Whisperer" with my first child. The author recommends a "dream feed", where you put the child down for normal bedtime and then come in a couple hours later and only wake them enough to "top off the tank". With DD on the dream feed she slept through the night from 4 months on. DS still woke around 3am until 7 months, but it was eat then right back to sleep with no issues.
HappyEverAfter 01:25 PM 02-21-2018
This is how all my dck do it. Eat, play and be upright (especially my reflux baby) and then 30-60 min later they’re drowsy and fall right to sleep. I think it’s better this way so that they don’t think “I need a bottle or I won’t be able to nap”.
mommyneedsadayoff 04:19 PM 02-21-2018

No, they tend to sleep through the night. During the day, you maintain the eat, play, sleep on a 3-4 hour schedule, but at night, you let them wake on their own, feed, right back to bed. Because they stay on a steady cycle during the day, they get enough feeds to satisfy them through the night much earlier, ime. They learn the difference between day and night much more quickly.
daycarediva 03:36 AM 02-22-2018
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
No, they tend to sleep through the night. During the day, you maintain the eat, play, sleep on a 3-4 hour schedule, but at night, you let them wake on their own, feed, right back to bed. Because they stay on a steady cycle during the day, they get enough feeds to satisfy them through the night much earlier, ime. They learn the difference between day and night much more quickly.
This...

and I think they don't associate hunger with sleep. They don't need to eat to fall asleep, which is hard to break, imho.
284878 06:15 AM 02-27-2018
I need help nailing down DCB schedule to fit with my other children's schedule.

DCB schedule
arrives at 8 and DCM has fed him at 630
naps 830-930
Change 930
bottle 945-10
change/nap 11
wakes/change 1-130
bottle 130
nap 230
wakes/change 330-345
leaves 420-430

Once 4 hits, DH and dd come home and all p/u and drop-offs happen and things are hectic until 430 when all the kids are gone.

According to the schedule DCM has him on, he should have another bottle before he goes home. Should I / would you try to squeeze another bottle in after the last nap?
mommyneedsadayoff 06:48 AM 02-27-2018
I need help nailing down DCB schedule to fit with my other children's schedule.

DCB schedule
arrives at 8 and DCM has fed him at 630
naps 830-930
Change 930
bottle 945-10
change/nap 11
wakes/change 1-130
bottle 130
nap 230
wakes/change 330-345
leaves 420-430

Once 4 hits, DH and dd come home and all p/u and drop-offs happen and things are hectic until 430 when all the kids are gone.

According to the schedule DCM has him on, he should have another bottle before he goes home. Should I / would you try to squeeze another bottle in after the last nap?
How old is he? I would give him a third bottle before pick up, otherwise he is going a long time between feeds and will prob be very hungry on the way home.

I base everything off of feed time. Here's an example of what I would do in your case, but age would affect this slightly.

Bottle 6:30
Nap 8-9:30
Bottle 9:45
Nap 11-12:30
Bottle 12:45
Nap 2-3:30
Bottle 3:45
Play and watch the other kids till pick up at 4/4:30

Like I said, it would adjust for age and how much/often they eat, but this based on about a 3 hr schedule. You can adjust based on the first feed, so if he comes and mom says he ate at 7 am, he would have bottles around 10, 1, 4, 7, 10. As he gets older and can drink more at one sitting, you begin to drop the snack feeds. The ones at 10 and 4 go away, so that you end up having him eat at breakfast, lunch, and dinner like the other kids. His naps eventually reduce to two a day as well, since he can go longer before eating. But again this depends on age. If he still pretty little, he'll have to keep the three hours schedule for a while, but this is the routine I do with all my kids and it works well.
284878 07:39 AM 02-27-2018
How old is he? I would give him a third bottle before pick up, otherwise he is going a long time between feeds and will prob be very hungry on the way home.

I base everything off of feed time. Here's an example of what I would do in your case, but age would affect this slightly.

Bottle 6:30
Nap 8-9:30
Bottle 9:45
Nap 11-12:30
Bottle 12:45
Nap 2-3:30
Bottle 3:45
Play and watch the other kids till pick up at 4/4:30

Like I said, it would adjust for age and how much/often they eat, but this based on about a 3 hr schedule. You can adjust based on the first feed, so if he comes and mom says he ate at 7 am, he would have bottles around 10, 1, 4, 7, 10. As he gets older and can drink more at one sitting, you begin to drop the snack feeds. The ones at 10 and 4 go away, so that you end up having him eat at breakfast, lunch, and dinner like the other kids. His naps eventually reduce to two a day as well, since he can go longer before eating. But again this depends on age. If he still pretty little, he'll have to keep the three hours schedule for a while, but this is the routine I do with all my kids and it works well.
He is 3 months.

I have another infant (8 months) that arrives at 915, she normally gets a bottle at 945-1015. Today, I got his bottle ready when she arrived, to see if I could move a few things up so I could have time to squeeze in a 3rd bottle and because I did not give it to her she spent the whole 20 minutes crying. She does not give up either.

He is scheduled to leave at 5 but last week DCM comes earlier 420 before the other family left. I had scheduled to give dcb a bottle after the other family left but she showed up early. Then yesterday, she came later and I was not prepared for that as I was expecting her earlier, just as I was going to warm the bottle she pulls in. DCM says that last week she was leaving work early, so 430-435 will be her time window for now on.

I hate feeding a baby a bottle when a parent arrives, I am never sure if I should hand off the baby and bottle or finish feeding the baby myself.
mommyneedsadayoff 08:19 AM 02-27-2018
He is 3 months.

I have another infant (8 months) that arrives at 915, she normally gets a bottle at 945-1015. Today, I got his bottle ready when she arrived, to see if I could move a few things up so I could have time to squeeze in a 3rd bottle and because I did not give it to her she spent the whole 20 minutes crying. She does not give up either.

He is scheduled to leave at 5 but last week DCM comes earlier 420 before the other family left. I had scheduled to give dcb a bottle after the other family left but she showed up early. Then yesterday, she came later and I was not prepared for that as I was expecting her earlier, just as I was going to warm the bottle she pulls in. DCM says that last week she was leaving work early, so 430-435 will be her time window for now on.

I hate feeding a baby a bottle when a parent arrives, I am never sure if I should hand off the baby and bottle or finish feeding the baby myself.
I would have the eight-month-old dropped off already fed. If a baby needs a bottle within 30 minutes of drop off, it's easier for the parent to feed prior to coming to daycare. If that won't work, then I would feed that baby first. The point of the babywise schedule is that a baby is well fed and well rested, so they tend to wake up happy and be content babies. So the little three-month-old may be just content to stare at you and coo at you while you feed the eight month old. When you're done, the eight-month-old can play, and you can feed the little guy.

As for doing bottles before pickup. I kind of extend the same courtesy to the parent as I expect from them. I send home a well-fed, well rested, and clean diapered baby. I would either wake the baby up a bit early from nap to make sure I can fit that feed in, or I would just finish the feed before they leave. Hope that helps!
284878 08:49 AM 02-27-2018
I would have the eight-month-old dropped off already fed. If a baby needs a bottle within 30 minutes of drop off, it's easier for the parent to feed prior to coming to daycare. If that won't work, then I would feed that baby first. The point of the babywise schedule is that a baby is well fed and well rested, so they tend to wake up happy and be content babies. So the little three-month-old may be just content to stare at you and coo at you while you feed the eight month old. When you're done, the eight-month-old can play, and you can feed the little guy.

As for doing bottles before pickup. I kind of extend the same courtesy to the parent as I expect from them. I send home a well-fed, well rested, and clean diapered baby. I would either wake the baby up a bit early from nap to make sure I can fit that feed in, or I would just finish the feed before they leave. Hope that helps!
The 8-month-old is not on a schedule at home. DCM says to feed her whenever she is hungry. I have tried to put her on a schedule here but like today, she was hungry earlier than normal and there are some days she refuses a bottle until later, closer to 11.

Yes, he is very content and waits for his bottle. Thus why I was feeding within 30 minutes after waking. He actually fought the bottle a little bit today when I tried to feed 15 minutes earlier than normal.

I do agree, I hate when a parent shows up randomly and I have not changed/ checked the diaper for a while. One time a dcd showed up as dcb had just filled his diaper. I offered to change him but he took him home dirty anyways.
Tags:easy method, infant - easy method
Reply Up