Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thinking Of Terming After A Week
Unregistered 01:21 PM 07-06-2011
I have a mom whom on DCG's third day (she doesn't come here everyday so it's been a week in care) brought her over 45min early with the excuse that she couldn't find my number to call me and inform me :/
This is after telling me the previous day thru email that she will be dropping off about an hour late due to an appt.
Needless to say I was irritated when I hear a knock on the door and get handed this excuse.
She had shown signs of disrespect before - like when dropping off her deposit check to secure her spot she was late then too (coming in the aft instead of the morning like I requested). I should have seen it coming...

Would you give the stern talk and give another chance or just terminate asap?
By oversight I did not add anything in my parent handbook about the 2 week grace period Am I stuck?
I am only into my 2nd month in business and have another client who is a joy to work with. I am struggling with what I should do next.
Crazy8 01:36 PM 07-06-2011
do you have anything in your handbook about terming at all for any reasons? I am not quick to terminate care, I try to make things work so I might just let her know that this is not acceptable, slap her with a charge for the extra 45 min., give her a few business cards, etc. so that it doesn't happen again. Next infraction and I might not be as nice. Also, was the 45 min. early very early in the morning or does she arrive later than your other kids? Cause if someone came 45 min. before I was opening they'd be standing outside till I got showered and ready for the day.
littlemissmuffet 01:41 PM 07-06-2011
I don't see any reason to terminate. At all.

Maybe she really didn't have your number and things changed. It happens. I would just get her to program your number into her cellphone right in front of you (and if no cell, then give her a business card and remind her you REQUIRE to know ahead of time when there will be a change in plans because you can't guarantee you will be home - and then DON'T answer the door if you are home and parents randomly try and drop off) and let her know that time is really important to you and the way you run your business. Lastly, let her know, if she can't follow the rules, she won't be staying.

Terming without any warning, and without any other issues being present (is what I'm assuming because you only mentioned these 2 minor incidents) is jumping the gun IMO.

I don't have a trial period of any kind. I have written in my handbook and contracts that I can term at will.
SilverSabre25 02:25 PM 07-06-2011
I like either giving clients a business card with my contact information to keep in their wallet, or my new favorite idea: keychains with my name, phone number, email address, and website. NO EXCUSES!!! It's attached to your keys--MUCH harder to lose and claim they couldn't find it!
Cat Herder 02:27 PM 07-06-2011
I would not terminate after that small amount of time without physical violence or non-payment issues.

You really need to have a very clear written contract outlining your hours and drop-off policies. ALL policies, really.

Sorry, hun...this one falls on you.

Once you let her in the door 45 minutes early you set the precedent. Not even mentioning the late payment drop-off issue. It is not fair to expect them to follow your rules if you don't, YKWIM?

I would have her read and initial each section of the contract, again, to be sure she understands, first. Then go forward from there. Fresh slate. Fully enfored without exceptions.

What does your contract state about early/late drop off?
Unregistered 03:11 PM 07-06-2011
Sorry I forgot to mention that I didn't let her in the door. She lives a min away so I said to come back a 1/2 hr later and that was fine with her.
Maybe I made a bigger deal out of it than it actually was. Just feeling stressed out I think :/
Thanks for the responses!!
PeanutsGalore 06:21 PM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a mom whom on DCG's third day (she doesn't come here everyday so it's been a week in care) brought her over 45min early with the excuse that she couldn't find my number to call me and inform me :/
This is after telling me the previous day thru email that she will be dropping off about an hour late due to an appt.
Needless to say I was irritated when I hear a knock on the door and get handed this excuse.
She had shown signs of disrespect before - like when dropping off her deposit check to secure her spot she was late then too (coming in the aft instead of the morning like I requested). I should have seen it coming...

Would you give the stern talk and give another chance or just terminate asap?
By oversight I did not add anything in my parent handbook about the 2 week grace period Am I stuck?
I am only into my 2nd month in business and have another client who is a joy to work with. I am struggling with what I should do next.
Well, it's a good thing that you didn't let her in the door. Just let her know that you only cover the hours agreed upon and anything above and beyond that will require an additional fee. Ask her what hours she needs and type up a new contract with the new hours and new fees...have it ready for her to sign the next time she sees you. Make it clear in the new contract that early dropoff/late pickup will be additional--one dollar a minute or something along those lines.

I wouldn't term for this reason. The mom sounds like she has an issue with time, which I would know, because I have issues with time as well! She's probably not going to change, but if you charge her a dollar per minute, she'll be there on time, believe me.
countrymom 04:07 AM 07-07-2011
start growing your back bone now and don't let her slide otherwise you will be terming her. Did she come from another daycare or is it her first time, many will try and get away with it because they did it before or this is something new to them are just newbies. I have a magnet with my business card attatched to it (you can buy it at staples) this way it sticks to their fridge and no excuses.
Tags:contract - clear, enforcing policies - consistency, terminating
Reply Up