Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>veggies...just thinking out loud
mamamanda 09:28 AM 04-24-2015
So, thanks to the advice I've received from all of you I no longer engage in food battles with my kids. I serve, they eat or not, we move on to the next meal. That being said, I'm noticing that 3 or 4 of my crew, ds included, only eat about 4 veggies and 3 fruits. I serve a variety, but they typically refuse to even try it. It's important to me to serve it b/c it's healthy for me, I'm modeling good nutrition, and I want 7m.o. ds introduced to a wide variety of healthy foods However, my thought is, I'd rather see them eat a veggie every day, even if its the same veggie, rather than see them eat no veggie.

So I'm considering serving 2 fruits & veggies at lunch each day. Maybe serving one that I know everyone likes and one that a few will refuse. That way they're all still getting some good food, but I'm not giving up the variety for the few that eat it. I'm just concerned about the extra work that might entail.

I have started teaching them about a specific fruit or veggie each day. We make it fun, talk about how specifically that veggie helps our body, they have the option to try the food and do a craft about it. What are your thoughts? Anyone serve more than one at a meal w/o making a big deal out of it?
Meyou 12:05 PM 04-24-2015
Try serving only veggies and a protein for snacks. It makes even the most reluctant eaters try new things. Hungry bellies with no prospect of "good" snacks is an amazing motivator. LOL
laundrymom 12:23 PM 04-24-2015
Originally Posted by Meyou:
Try serving only veggies and a protein for snacks. It makes even the most reluctant eaters try new things. Hungry bellies with no prospect of "good" snacks is an amazing motivator. LOL

AmyKidsCo 01:20 PM 04-24-2015

I also encourage the children to take a "practice bite" of everything.
Josiegirl 03:45 PM 04-24-2015
I'd usually agree with this but after seeing dcg cry for half an hour today, refusing to eat 2 measly bites each of chicken and pineapple before she could get another helping of noodles, I'd say my dcg has extraordinary staying power.
Weird thing is, I've seen her eat both those things before.

Something we did awhile back was make a big graph, introducing a new veggie/fruit each day or week, who liked it, who didn't, who wasn't brave enough to try it. With our graph we had all different kinds of foods on there, from goat cheese to tofu to star fruit.

Those free curriculum materials that Blackcat31 shared in a post, they had a roll of stickers that said Make it a Try it day(or something like that). You could maybe make a medal or certificate(just thinking here)announcing I tried __________ today. You get the idea.

I always serve a variety of fruits and veggies at lunch(much more than the requirement of the food program), sometimes at snack too. Make up a pretty veggie tray with a bowl of dip in the middle and most of it disappears here. Course I still have a couple reluctant veggie eaters. It's frustrating, to say the least.

Maybe you could try a peanut butter dip.
mamamanda 06:08 PM 05-16-2015
Josiegirl, I love some of those ideas. We're going to do a graph this week to our veggies. Thanks for the tips!
mamamanda 06:12 PM 05-16-2015
I do serve healthy snacks, but I usually have some form of whole grain like pb tortilla or 1/2 organic turkey sandwich, etc. This week I changed it to a protein & a veggie without the grain. Finger crossed that it goes well!
Reply Up