Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tonsillectomy - When To Accept Return?
Unregistered 03:26 PM 03-12-2013
4 year old girl in my care underwent a tonsillectomy on Monday. Today is Tuesday. Mom is pushing to have her daughter return as soon as tomorrow, but for sure Thursday. Is that too soon? I'm thinking any time this week is too soon, but mom says she's acting normal. She is on prescription pain meds. Thoughts?
wahmof3 03:29 PM 03-12-2013
nope, would not let the child come.

I believe (I will goggle it) but the 5-7th days are the worst.

The child needs to stay home.

One site said the days 3-5 are the worst days- when the scabs come off.
Scout 03:41 PM 03-12-2013
The biggest thing they watch for is bleeding so I most certainly would not allow the child back until monday. I had mine out at 22 and it was awful! I know its much worse as an adult though. But, if she starts to bleed....shame on mom for that too! Bleh. Keep her home and baby her!
juliebug 03:52 PM 03-12-2013
i would not allow back until Monday at the earliest. sorry but there is a huge chance she could bleed anytime this week.

my child had her done and was feeling great buy the next day and we still waited the whole week before she returned to school. I think every one takes it differently but still i would not want to be responsible for her until Monday
Unregistered 06:03 PM 03-12-2013
My daughter had her tonsils removed as well, and I was very cautious with her. I told the mom to look through her after care paperwork because it states all the DOs and DONTs which include not allowing the child to participate in active play for 14 days, not bringing the child back to daycare for a minimum of 7 days and not bringing her back to care until she can go through a day without prescription medication.
blandino 06:08 PM 03-12-2013
Although it sounds like you shouldn't, if you do wind up allowing her back, make it clear that she has to be well enough to participate. And don't hesitate to call the minute she can't participate.

I'm not saying this is right, but for people who have difficulty with a backbone, sometimes it is easier to tell a parent you will try something (even when you know it's not going to work) and then tell them that it's not working. But it is more work on your part to go through all the hassle.
Candy 06:53 PM 03-12-2013
I went back to kindergarten two days after i had mine taken out. I think she will be fine to come back on friday at the latest.
SilverSabre25 07:11 PM 03-12-2013
I wouldn't let her back until Monday at the soonest.
CrackerJacks 07:28 PM 03-12-2013
I wouldn't let her back until next Monday the earliest. A former child I cared for had hers out, 4 days later there was a big blood clot, she had to be rushed to the ER and have it suctioned out...and it was NOT a fun situation for anyone.. I had mine out in HS and was out a week, and I was 16...please don't take the chance of her coming back and then something terrible happening
Unregistered 08:22 PM 03-12-2013
My son was almost 3 yrs old when he had his tonsils removed and he was down for 10 days. We had to make sure he was drinking and the meds he was on made him sleepy then he would get up and scream because his mouth was dry. He was miserable. Oh and I was told that anywhere from 7 - 10 days the scab in the back of the throat comes off and it may hurt and you might see a little bit of blood. Also, we had a list of foods that he needed to avoid and to be on only soft foods because some can cause the scab to open up in the back of the throat. Also we needed to watch for bleeding because if over a certain amount happened he had to be taken into the ER. I personally wouldn't take the child until Monday at the earliest. Please make sure the child is drinking throughout the day when you get them back... if it drys out in the back of the throat the child is going to be in pain.. we were told to push the fluids with whatever my child wanted (no straws) and popsicles. Poor thing
laundrymom 04:39 AM 03-13-2013
I've kept kids two days after several times and they were fine.
AnneCordelia 04:47 AM 03-13-2013
I recently had a bad experience with a family friend who's 3yo had his out. On day 6 when his scab fell off he bled ouit down his throat and started vomiting blood. He passed out and was transported by ambulance for another three days in hospital. I know these freak things happen and its NOT the norm but it happened so recently that I'm still shaken from hearing about it from my friend.

I wouldn't allow the child back for a week.
rmc20021 04:49 AM 03-13-2013
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!

I used to work at an Ear, Nose and Throat specialty office as a medical assitant and we did tonsillectomies several times per week. You do not want to take the responsibility of a child coming into your daycare and have them start bleeding. That can become an emergency situation and there is no way I would want that liability.

If mom had wanted the child to return to daycare after the procedure, she should have checked with you prior to having the surgery done to see how soon she would be able to return rather than taking it upon herself to just assume you would care for her post surgical child.
sahm1225 07:02 PM 03-14-2013
I had a dcb come back 3 days later. He was perfectly fine and not even on pain meds. My son had his out when he was 3 1/2 and it was horrible! He was on pain meds for almost 2 weeks and just miserable! I'm pretty sure the discharge paperwork says 5-7 days at home.
WImom 06:24 AM 03-15-2013
I've had three kids here get that surgery and they have all returned the 10th day. Yes, the 5-7th days are the worst from what I heard from these families.

I would not accept the child without a doctor's note from the doctor who did the surgery. There is no way they would sign something for her.
Willow 08:05 AM 03-15-2013
I took a kiddo back a few days after she had hers not having any firsthand experience with the deal. It was so difficult to get her to drink much less eat. When the scabs fell off about a week later she was in TERRIBLE pain and bled loads. It was terrifying and I'll never do it again.

Now I say kiddo can return once the scabs fall off and they come out the other side of that event fine. I don't feel comfortable assuming the liability until then.
Tags:sick policy, tonsillectomy
Reply Up