Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can Someone Assist In Writing A Letter Addressing...
AllDeezBabies 03:24 PM 06-09-2014
Their children's hygiene???

I have a family of 4 and they all smell. The school aged boys feet smell like locker room, the little girl smells like a fish sandwich and the 1 year old smells like smelly baby booty. Well the summer months are here and it is one thing to be smelly in the winter but do you know how hard it is to cope with smelly kids in the summer.

I don't want to approach her like "Hi DCM, your children smell, please clean them, especially in the summer"

I'm writing a letter to all my parents with policies and procedures during our warmer months and I want to include it there. It would be for her but addressed indirectly.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
nannyde 03:46 PM 06-09-2014
It won't help to write a group letter. You are just giving a heads up to the other parents that there are kids who have poor hygiene in your daycare.

Just tell her. Be honest. Just tell her the kids need to come to daycare perfectly clean every day.

Parents who send kids dirty are usually lazy. Sometimes it is economical but mostly it is lazy.
AllDeezBabies 03:52 PM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by nannyde:
It won't help to write a group letter. You are just giving a heads up to the other parents that there are kids who have poor hygiene in your daycare.

Just tell her. Be honest. Just tell her the kids need to come to daycare perfectly clean every day.

Parents who send kids dirty are usually lazy. Sometimes it is economical but mostly it is lazy.
You know what, I never thought of it that way. I don't want to do that. I have had several lectures with her regarding her children's hygiene and she doesn't seem to get it. I guess at this point I need to ask what I need to do to show her that she needs to be a responsible enough parent and keep her children clean?
Meeko 04:19 PM 06-09-2014
There is no excuse for being dirty. Even if she can't afford soap ..she can stick the kids in some water.

As you have already talked to her and she has ignored you, I would tell her that other have now mentioned the smell too (it might just be your husband, but hopefully she'll think it's the other parents) and that you must now INSIST that she brings the kids fresh and clean every morning if care is continue. If she's embarrassed........good.
AllDeezBabies 04:29 PM 06-09-2014
Oh we've went that route as well. One of my parents came in and was like "Oh GOD, it smells like Old McDonald's farm in here"

I don't know what to do.
MarinaVanessa 04:39 PM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by AllDeezBabies:
You know what, I never thought of it that way. I don't want to do that. I have had several lectures with her regarding her children's hygiene and she doesn't seem to get it. I guess at this point I need to ask what I need to do to show her that she needs to be a responsible enough parent and keep her children clean?
"You know Susan, I really love having Timmy, Bobbie, Suzie and baby Angel. They're great kids. I know we've talked about this before but I have to bring it up again. It's an uncomfortable discussion to have but it needs to be said again. There are hygienic issues that need to be addressed. The kids, all four of them, need to be bathed daily and arrive here clean and dressed in clean clothing every day. I know you have your hands full with four kids but this must be corrected. I can't tell you the internal battle I have with myself every day that the kids are here smelly. It really has come down to neglect. I know you love your children, I can see that. Which is why I really need you to step it up in this one department. Can you do that? I really love you guys and I really don't want to have to make a call that will probably destroy our relationship. So what do you think?"

It will be a very uncomfortable discussion but one that is very necessary
AllDeezBabies 04:42 PM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
"You know Susan, I really love having Timmy, Bobbie, Suzie and baby Angel. They're great kids. I know we've talked about this before but I have to bring it up again. It's an uncomfortable discussion to have but it needs to be said again. There are hygienic issues that need to be addressed. The kids, all four of them, need to be bathed daily and arrive here clean and dressed in clean clothing every day. I know you have your hands full with four kids but this must be corrected. I can't tell you the internal battle I have with myself every day that the kids are here smelly. It really has come down to neglect. I know you love your children, I can see that. Which is why I really need you to step it up in this one department. Can you do that? I really love you guys and I really don't want to have to make a call that will probably destroy our relationship. So what do you think?"

It will be a very uncomfortable discussion but one that is very necessary
This. I can do that
Lucy 07:53 PM 06-09-2014
I have written a letter that appears to be for "all parents", but it's really only for one family. I mean, I only GIVE it to the one family. I write it so that they think it's for everyone:

TO ALL PARENTS:

Dear Parents,

Blah, blah, blah.................

Thanks,

[Your Name Here]

In the upper corner, I pencil in their last name, so that it looks like you had a copy for each family, and labeled them so you could pass them out.

That way, you not singling them out, but you're also not alerting ALL the other families to a personal problem.

Yes, I realize the direct route is better, but some of us just have trouble being blunt without feeling nervous and/or embarrassed. Just providing you this route in case you're one of them.
nothingwithoutjoy 11:02 AM 06-10-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
I have written a letter that appears to be for "all parents", but it's really only for one family. I mean, I only GIVE it to the one family. I write it so that they think it's for everyone:
Brilliant!
Tags:hygiene, poor hygiene, smelly kids
Reply Up