Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2 3 4 12  ... Last
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Positive Thread - What Happened That was GOOD Today?
MarinaVanessa 02:23 PM 05-27-2010
I have a mom who needs to work Monday and so I won't be getting a long weekend but it's not so bad. We came to an agreement that I'd take her son on Monday (the only DC kid coming) for an extra $20 which means for that day she'll be paying $50 instead of the $30 a day she normally pays. I'll also be taking him with us to family events that day so no regular DC schedule. He's really easy to take care of so I don't mind at all and so he'll be joining us to the movies, a BBQ and out to dinner. He also has a Dr's appointment on Thursday and won't be coming which is great news to me since I have my first sonogram that day and of course there's no reimbursement for that day he'll miss. Great news to get today, I'll be watching him four days next week for $175 instead of the usual $155 for five days. Since he's the only DC kid I have in the morning (all of the other kiddos are at school) It'll just be my family and I for the sonogram. Originally I was taking him with me and my hunny was going to hold him now it'll be extra special!! And it stopped raining so we can take our walk. What a great day it is.
Lilbutterflie 07:02 PM 05-27-2010
I've had a great week! Just started 3 new siblings on Monday, but already love them! My 3 yr old DCG learned how to ride a tricycle with me yesterday, & both of her 4 yr old brothers learned how to ride the "big boy bike" (16 inch bike with training wheels) today! Still kind of a gripe, though, b/c it is obvious these kids had never ridden a bike/tricycle before! And the boys learned how to use a computer and mouse today, they each spent an hour alone on starfall.com (best educational website ever)! So sad... they've also never used a computer before.
momofboys 10:23 AM 05-28-2010
Having a great day so far! Played at the park & had a ball & all three kids are sleeping like babies. DH gets off work early today because of Monday's holiday. Yay!!!
AfterSchoolMom 02:21 PM 05-28-2010
I stood up for myself today!!!

DCP showed up at pick up time w/ no money, and left in the midst of the departure confusion. In the past I'd just wait awhile to see if they remembered, then send an email, expecting payment the next time I saw them. Today I called IMMEDIATELY afterword and reminded them that I didn't receive payment. I got a sob story, but made sure that they understood that I expected it TODAY, and they came back and brought the money!! I'm proud of myself.

Parents amaze me sometimes, though. They actually asked me if they could just bring it at pick up on Tuesday. Oh, yeah, sure you can bring it four whole days later, with no late fees, after a holiday weekend.
professionalmom 02:32 PM 05-28-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:

DCP showed up at pick up time w/ no money, and left in the midst of the departure confusion. In the past I'd just wait awhile to see if they remembered, then send an email, expecting payment the next time I saw them. Today I called IMMEDIATELY afterword and reminded them that I didn't receive payment. I got a sob story, but made sure that they understood that I expected it TODAY, and they came back and brought the money!! I'm proud of myself.

Parents amaze me sometimes, though. They actually asked me if they could just bring it at pick up on Tuesday. Oh, yeah, sure you can bring it four whole days later, with no late fees, after a holiday weekend.
GOOD FOR YOU!!! I'm trying to grow a spine, too. It's very hard, but you have to or they'll walk all over you.
momma2girls 03:18 PM 05-28-2010
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:

Good for you!!!!! You learn very fast in this line of business to get a backbone and stick up for your self and your business!!!! have a great weekend!!!!
MarinaVanessa 04:33 PM 05-28-2010
What a great ending to a great day!! It's almost closing and my hunny just came home and gave me the greatest surprise ever!! He proposed!!

Lol it seems a little silly for me to get so excited because we've talked and talked about it and our situation is a little odd (I have a daughter by someone else, pregnant with my hunny's baby and we've been living together for almost 4 years) considering that we had decided a while back ago to wait to get married due to finances but I just can't help being giddy. My hands are shaking I'm so happy!! Hope everyone has the best holiday weekend ever!!!

momma2girls 04:44 PM 05-28-2010
Originally Posted by marinavanessa:
what a great ending to a great day!! It's almost closing and my hunny just came home and gave me the greatest surprise ever!! He proposed!!

Lol it seems a little silly for me to get so excited because we've talked and talked about it and our situation is a little odd (i have a daughter by someone else, pregnant with my hunny's baby and we've been living together for almost 4 years) considering that we had decided a while back ago to wait to get married due to finances but i just can't help being giddy. My hands are shaking i'm so happy!! Hope everyone has the best holiday weekend ever!!!

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! Beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!
misol 05:14 PM 05-28-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
What a great ending to a great day!! It's almost closing and my hunny just came home and gave me the greatest surprise ever!! He proposed!!

Lol it seems a little silly for me to get so excited because we've talked and talked about it and our situation is a little odd (I have a daughter by someone else, pregnant with my hunny's baby and we've been living together for almost 4 years) considering that we had decided a while back ago to wait to get married due to finances but I just can't help being giddy. My hands are shaking I'm so happy!! Hope everyone has the best holiday weekend ever!!!
OMG! Congratulations MarinaVanessa!!! That ring is gorgeous.
boysx5 05:36 AM 05-29-2010
congrats how exciting
AfterSchoolMom 05:49 AM 05-29-2010
Wow, Congratulations, MarinaVanessa! That's so great, and what a beautiful ring!
professionalmom 02:41 PM 05-29-2010
Today, my hubby came home from work early and mentioned that I should call my daycare family that was supposed to come in the afternoon. I asked why and hubby said, "well, they may need to bring their beach gear." So the kids get here (1 yo girl, 5 yo boy, 7 yo boy) and we take them and our daughter (almost 2) to the beach. We had a great time even though my DD had an allergic reaction to the ragweed floating around. The only complaint from the boys was that I didn't let them go out farther (yeah right!). And my DD loved throwing wet sand at me and I ended up very soaked (in shorts, no bathing suit because none fit due to my twin pregnancy). My husband grilled when we got home and even though it was nutritious, the boys claimed that they got junk food for dinner (after all, nothing that great can be healthy right)! And the 1 year old girls ate twice what I ate!
FUN! FUN! FUN! in the SUN, SUN, SUN! If only everyday could be like this!
professionalmom 02:41 PM 05-29-2010
Congrats on the ring!!
Michael 02:50 PM 05-29-2010
Congratulations! Pretty ring.
TGT09 06:48 PM 05-29-2010
Congrats! How very exciting!
momofsix 07:48 PM 05-29-2010
Marinavanessa, congratulations!!! What an exciting time in your life right now--and what a beautiful ring! I'm so happy for you!
professionalmom 09:58 AM 05-30-2010
I live 250 miles away from my family. I rarely get to see them because of my daycare schedule. I currently do not have weekday clients & my weekend family did not need me for today, so I was planning a trip to visit my family. Well, I got a new client that was supposed to start this week (Tues - Thurs). So I was scrapping the trip. Yesterday the new mom said that her DD was still in school and I would only have her 1 hr (instead of 4) a day for those 3 days. After I thought about it, it seemed crazy to miss this opportunity to see my family just so I could work 3 hours this week, so I talked to the new mom today and asked if we can just start the next week. She said, "sure, no problem." I also explained that we would be better able to get acquainted when we can start with the regular schedule. I did not think 1 hour a day for 3 days would be productive for getting to know each other because she would arrive, have a snack, clean up and only have 20-30 minutes to play, then go home. The mom agreed! Also, I asked her to ask her DD's teachers where they were at in school so I can continue with DCG over the summer. The mom loved that idea!

If the mom had any problem with it, I would have stayed home so I wouldn't lose a client. But I am SO glad she was fine with it! So, my daughter and I are on our way to visit my family! Yay!!
MarinaVanessa 03:53 PM 05-30-2010
Thank You, Thank You everybody!! Looks like all of us are having a great weekend ... thank goodness. The weather was sooo nice today that it was deffinetely a beach day and then I remembered that I don't like wet sand in my suit lol. We made it a pool day instead. Now it's time to BBQ!!!

I may have the weekend off from my DC littles but my 3 nephews ended up coming over to hang out and 2 of them spent the night last night . I swear I ALWAYS have kids here. Family day today at our house (usually at my furure MIL's) which is great. I'll just gain some extra DIL points by giving her a day off from cooking .
MarinaVanessa 10:44 PM 05-31-2010
Wow, I guess my weekend just keeps getting better and better. This should have started as a vent but I didn't want to ruin the weekend by complaining about it. I was afraid I'd jinx my weekend. Anyway here's how it unfolded:

Thursday: DCM of two kiddos is also kinda like family. She's my daughter's aunt on my daughters' dads side of the family (not my fiance's daughter). Anyway, she gets a little snooty because I'll be closed on Monday (duh holiday). All families know that I close and she didn't arrange alternate care. Tries to guilt trip me but I don't budge. Leaves a little huffy and puffy.

FridayComes in the morning and tells me that her mom is going to watch her kids from now on and she won't be coming back next week. I'm a little upset but I just tell her that I need it in writing and remind her that she looses her deposit and ask if she's sure she doesn't want to stay for the 2 weeks. She says "No, keep the money. You'll need it" . Hunny calls me at lunch and I mention it, he says that sucks but oh well. I call my waiting list numbers and they don't need care, no more waiting list . At pick-up she gives me a simple note saying this is her last day of care. Hunny comes home and proposes (after I change a dirty diaper lol) and totally cheers me up. Tells me that he mentions that I have openings to an employee of a client with 2 kiddos. Potential clients call and we do phone interview, she sounds interested. Says she'll call back.

Saturday We have a great day at the pool and when we get back I get a call from potential fam. She asks a few more questions. Says she'll call back. ok, cool.

Sunday We have a great family day at my house (rare) and BBQ. I get a call from potential fam. She wants to meet in person Monday.

Monday Family goes to the 1st showing at the movies to watch new Shrek movie in 3D. We take up an entire row and 3 more seats and have a blast.
-1:30pm, family comes over (mom, dad, daughter 2 & son 6 months). They stay until 3pm and seem to like it. 2 year-old doesn't want to leave and baby likes me and lets me play and hold him no problem. Mom says she has to go home and discuss things with husband. Hmm .. ok. Get a little nervous.
-6pm call from potential familiy ... they want to start tomorrow! I say great!
-7pm call from daughter's aunt (had given 2 weeks notice). She says she wants to bring kiddos tomorrow and finish her two-weeks afterall. I tell her that I already filled her spot and that they start tomorrow and that if I allow her to bring her kiddos that I'll be over capicity by 2 kids so I can't do it. Demands her deposit back. In a nice way I tell her to read her contract and that I'll be e-mailing her a copy of her written two weeks notice with the last day of care as 5/28/10 . Say I'm sorry (while smiling but sounding sincere) and say bye-bye.

How I love Karma. Looks like that's the end of my involvement with my daughter's dad's family. Good riddance.
misol 12:54 PM 06-01-2010

Monday Family goes to the 1st showing at the movies to watch new Shrek movie in 3D. We take up an entire row and 3 more seats and have a blast.
-1:30pm, family comes over (mom, dad, daughter 2 & son 6 months). They stay until 3pm and seem to like it. 2 year-old doesn't want to leave and baby likes me and lets me play and hold him no problem. Mom says she has to go home and discuss things with husband. Hmm .. ok. Get a little nervous.
-7pm call from daughter's aunt (had given 2 weeks notice). She says she wants to bring kiddos tomorrow and finish her two-weeks afterall. I tell her that I already filled her spot and that they start tomorrow and that if I allow her to bring her kiddos that I'll be over capicity by 2 kids so I can't do it. Demands her deposit back. In a nice way I tell her to read her contract and that I'll be e-mailing her a copy of her written two weeks notice with the last day of care as 5/28/10 . Say I'm sorry (while smiling but sounding sincere) and say bye-bye.

How I love Karma. Looks like that's the end of my involvement with my daughter's dad's family. Good riddance.
THIS STORY COULD NOT HAVE HAD A BETTER ENDING!!!!
momofboys 01:54 PM 06-01-2010

Congrats!!!! Beautiful ring!!!
momofboys 01:57 PM 06-01-2010
Wow, I guess my weekend just keeps getting better and better. This should have started as a vent but I didn't want to ruin the weekend by complaining about it. I was afraid I'd jinx my weekend. Anyway here's how it unfolded:

Thursday: DCM of two kiddos is also kinda like family. She's my daughter's aunt on my daughters' dads side of the family (not my fiance's daughter). Anyway, she gets a little snooty because I'll be closed on Monday (duh holiday). All families know that I close and she didn't arrange alternate care. Tries to guilt trip me but I don't budge. Leaves a little huffy and puffy.

FridayComes in the morning and tells me that her mom is going to watch her kids from now on and she won't be coming back next week. I'm a little upset but I just tell her that I need it in writing and remind her that she looses her deposit and ask if she's sure she doesn't want to stay for the 2 weeks. She says "No, keep the money. You'll need it" . Hunny calls me at lunch and I mention it, he says that sucks but oh well. I call my waiting list numbers and they don't need care, no more waiting list . At pick-up she gives me a simple note saying this is her last day of care. Hunny comes home and proposes (after I change a dirty diaper lol) and totally cheers me up. Tells me that he mentions that I have openings to an employee of a client with 2 kiddos. Potential clients call and we do phone interview, she sounds interested. Says she'll call back.

Saturday We have a great day at the pool and when we get back I get a call from potential fam. She asks a few more questions. Says she'll call back. ok, cool.

Sunday We have a great family day at my house (rare) and BBQ. I get a call from potential fam. She wants to meet in person Monday.

Awesome!~ I love it!
momofboys 02:00 PM 06-01-2010
DCM comes to pay today & asks is the total "***x" which is in fact the correct amount! However, I told her I was planning to give her a credit for last week when her DD was gone part of the day b/c of an appt to which she replied, "Oh no, I didn't give you enough notice so there is no need for a credit" I am beyond shocked!
professionalmom 03:17 PM 06-01-2010
Originally Posted by janarae:
DCM comes to pay today & asks is the total "***x" which is in fact the correct amount! However, I told her I was planning to give her a credit for last week when her DD was gone part of the day b/c of an appt to which she replied, "Oh no, I didn't give you enough notice so there is no need for a credit" I am beyond shocked!
Oh...My...Goodness!!! I want that client!!!! WOW!!
MarinaVanessa 07:18 PM 06-01-2010
Wow!! Awsomeness!!
MarinaVanessa 07:24 PM 06-01-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
THIS STORY COULD NOT HAVE HAD A BETTER ENDING!!!!
No, I don't think there could have been a better ending. I wasn't surprised that she'd want to leave because she'd done it before and then came back to "finish her two weeks" but never left. I put my blinders on because I didn't want to have to go through the trouble of interviews and advertising so my fault. This time is was great to get that call ... I immediately said yes!! It was totally great.

Sent the e-mail off today and havn't heard a word since. Kinda glad she's gone. My daughter's dad knew a lot of what happens in my personal life that I don't share with my daughter so I'm sure she was relaying info to him (they're cousins).
melissa ann 03:32 PM 06-03-2010
At pickup today, I got the schedule for next week. you could have knocked me over with a feather.
jen 03:39 PM 06-03-2010
No, I don't think there could have been a better ending. I wasn't surprised that she'd want to leave because she'd done it before and then came back to "finish her two weeks" but never left. I put my blinders on because I didn't want to have to go through the trouble of interviews and advertising so my fault. This time is was great to get that call ... I immediately said yes!! It was totally great.

Sent the e-mail off today and havn't heard a word since. Kinda glad she's gone. My daughter's dad knew a lot of what happens in my personal life that I don't share with my daughter so I'm sure she was relaying info to him (they're cousins).
Awesome! LOVE the ring, LOVE Karma!!

Enjoy!!!!
momma2girls 04:40 PM 06-03-2010
Here is a great post for myself!! After tomorrow I am totally off all summer long!!! I can't wait!! I have never had off all summer!!! I have all teacher's children, so I have the summers off!!!
MarinaVanessa 04:44 PM 06-03-2010
Okay ... so this has NOTHING to do with daycare but had to share:

My first ultrasound was today so it was a short day for me. Everyone gets picked up by 1pm and we're on our way. Problem with our paperwork and the order needs to be faxed by my DR. Lady at window is a B!t%&. Won't even give me the registration papers to fill out until the order is faxed. 15 minutes later and nothing. It's now past the time for my appointment and I don't even have the forms to fill out. I call my Dr's office. They have a problem faxing it over and noone is picking up the phone at radiology. I ask the lady at the window for the fax number and she shushed me and told me to wait my turn. After going back and forth she quickly calls out the number and I repeat it and finally they get the fax through. She makes me wait until she's done with a lady and then gives me the registration papers. I fill them out and give them back to her. It is now 45 minutes past my appointment. 35 minutes later still in waiting room, time to get my daughter at school. Fiance leaves to get her. 5 minutes later my name gets called and I'm by myself. I cry. Technician looks concerned. I tell her it's the hormones. She eventually gets the whole story out if me.

She is really kind during the ultrasound and very nice. She makes me feel better. I stop crying and hear the heartbeat. She asks f I want to know the sex ... it's a boy!! I'm excited, totally feeling better. She takes her time and shows me everything. I get cleaned up and she asks me to wait so she can show the pics to the Dr. to make sure everything is ok. 5 minutes after she walkes out there's a knock on the door and my fiance and daughter walk in. I tell him that we just finished and he's a little bummed but excited at what I tell him. Tech comes back in and says everything is great and then pauses. "You know, were running a little behind but ... why don't you jump back on the table? We're going to show these two the baby" I was sooo happy. She did another sonogram to show them the baby and she didn't have to. I got her name and sent her flowers. I hope she likes daisies. Very good day.
fctjc1979 04:48 PM 06-03-2010

My first ultrasound was today so it was a short day for me. Everyone gets picked up by 1pm and we're on our way. Problem with our paperwork and the order needs to be faxed by my DR. Lady at window is a B!t%&. Won't even give me the registration papers to fill out until the order is faxed. 15 minutes later and nothing. It's now past the time for my appointment and I don't even have the forms to fill out. I call my Dr's office. They have a problem faxing it over and noone is picking up the phone at radiology. I ask the lady at the window for the fax number and she shushed me and told me to wait my turn. After going back and forth she quickly calls out the number and I repeat it and finally they get the fax through. She makes me wait until she's done with a lady and then gives me the registration papers. I fill them out and give them back to her. It is now 25 minutes past my appointment. 20 minutes later still in waiting room, time to get my daughter at school. Fiance leaves to get her. 5 minutes later my name gets called and I'm by myself. I cry. Technician looks concerned. I tell her it's the hormones. She eventually gets the whole story out if me.

She is really kind during the ultrasound and very nice. She makes me feel better. I stop crying and hear the heartbeat. She asks f I want to know the sex ... it's a boy!! I'm excited, totally feeling better. She takes her time and shows me everything. I get cleaned up and she asks me to wait so she can show the pics to the Dr. to make sure everything is ok. 5 minutes after she walkes out there's a knock on the door and my fiance and daughter walk in. I tell him that we just finished and he's a little bummed but excited at what I tell him. Tech comes back in and says everything is great and then pauses. "You know, were running a little behind but ... why don't you jump back on the table? We're going to show these two the baby" I was sooo happy. She did another sonogram to show them the baby and she didn't have to. I got her name and sent her flowers. I hope she likes daisies. Very good day.
It's so cool when people do things they really didn't have to do so they can make someone's day better! Congrats on the boy and good luck on the rest of your pregnancy!!
Childminder 05:12 PM 06-03-2010
I finally went to small claims to file suit against three non-payers The one also bounced two checks and they sent me down the hall to the county prosecutor. He said that they will send her a letter and if retribution is not made in 10 days they'll issue a warrant for her arrest. Part of me hope she doesn't pay. tehehe
tymaboy 07:06 PM 06-03-2010

My first ultrasound was today so it was a short day for me. Everyone gets picked up by 1pm and we're on our way. Problem with our paperwork and the order needs to be faxed by my DR. Lady at window is a B!t%&. Won't even give me the registration papers to fill out until the order is faxed. 15 minutes later and nothing. It's now past the time for my appointment and I don't even have the forms to fill out. I call my Dr's office. They have a problem faxing it over and noone is picking up the phone at radiology. I ask the lady at the window for the fax number and she shushed me and told me to wait my turn. After going back and forth she quickly calls out the number and I repeat it and finally they get the fax through. She makes me wait until she's done with a lady and then gives me the registration papers. I fill them out and give them back to her. It is now 45 minutes past my appointment. 35 minutes later still in waiting room, time to get my daughter at school. Fiance leaves to get her. 5 minutes later my name gets called and I'm by myself. I cry. Technician looks concerned. I tell her it's the hormones. She eventually gets the whole story out if me.

That great! I bet getting the flowers made her day as well.
professionalmom 10:31 PM 06-03-2010
Originally Posted by Childminder:
I finally went to small claims to file suit against three non-payers The one also bounced two checks and they sent me down the hall to the county prosecutor. He said that they will send her a letter and if retribution is not made in 10 days they'll issue a warrant for her arrest. Part of me hope she doesn't pay. tehehe
Oooo! I never even thought about that. I'm filing that in the back of my mind just in case I ever have a client who bounces checks with me (but doesn't reimburse everything per the contract).
TGT09 06:04 AM 06-04-2010
I get from 10:30 this morning to 3:30 this afternoon to myself. Ahhhh I love this day! Plus, it's finally pretty out after storming for the past few days. Today is also the kids last day of school and we are having a field trip on Monday. I am so excited!
tymaboy 06:30 AM 06-04-2010
Sitting here enjoying my coffee trying to decide where/what I will do today since I have the day off.
TGT09 06:53 AM 06-04-2010
I also got one of the sweetest e-mails from a DCM last night that I started tearing up. She just kept going on and on about how much they all feel comfortable and it's such a huge weight off their shoulders. They've had some seriously awful providers in the past and the kids absolutely love coming to my house. She went on and on....it's REALLY nice to hear you are making a difference in someone's life!
MarinaVanessa 08:23 AM 06-04-2010
Originally Posted by TGT09:
I also got one of the sweetest e-mails from a DCM last night that I started tearing up. She just kept going on and on about how much they all feel comfortable and it's such a huge weight off their shoulders. They've had some seriously awful providers in the past and the kids absolutely love coming to my house. She went on and on....it's REALLY nice to hear you are making a difference in someone's life!
This is great!! I just love it when familes are fully aware and thankfull for everything that we do for them. It really makes a difference. Looks like you found a great family.
tmcp2001 10:19 AM 06-09-2010
Here's my positive post for today... it's my Friday today and I leave for Vegas with my hubby (sans kids!) tomorrow! Super excited!
momma2girls 10:20 AM 06-09-2010
Originally Posted by tmcp2001:
Here's my positive post for today... it's my Friday today and I leave for Vegas with my hubby (sans kids!) tomorrow! Super excited!
Have fun, I am excited for you!!!!! Remember what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas!!!lol!!!!!
beachlovinmomma 04:01 PM 06-10-2010
Today I finally got up the nerve, backbone, gahonas or whatever you call it to terminate my first DCK!!!
momofboys 04:20 AM 06-11-2010

Great story! How kind of the tech to do that! And kind for you to send flowers.
momofboys 04:25 AM 06-11-2010
Can I adopt my new family? Seriously, until I had watched this family (only for a few days so far) I thought all DC parents were forgetful/late/disrespectful. Finally, it seems like I got a GOOD bunch. This family has picked up early each day & they actually call me to let me know if things change with their schedule. Today they were supposed to drop off around 6:30 but dad called yesterday to let me know he had an eye exam so he was going into work a bit later so he would not be dropping off until 7:45. And he also mentioned that he was getting off work early so he'd be here to pick up the kids at 4:00 instead of 5:15. I hope the honeymoon continues with them!
TGT09 04:28 AM 06-11-2010
It's Friday! :-)
momofboys 04:36 AM 06-11-2010
Originally Posted by beachlovinmomma:
Today I finally got up the nerve, backbone, gahonas or whatever you call it to terminate my first DCK!!!
Good for you!!!
Former Teacher 05:05 PM 06-14-2010

aww i am SOOO happy for you!!!
TGT09 08:38 AM 06-15-2010
2 new SA's started today and they fit in perfectly! I am sooo happy!
DCMom 11:49 AM 06-15-2010
Friday was the last day for one of my favorite, long time families (8 years). Long story short, they decided to pull the girls (5 & 8) out of dc for the summer and hired a high school girl. I was very sad and hurt at first, but they were going to leave in the fall anyway because of school so I just looked at it as leaving early. Why am I posting in the 'positive' thread?

Dcm called this morning just to tell me that she missed me already because she had went home at lunch time (today was the first day with the new arrangement) and her house was a complete and total disaster~she said she wasn't sure if this was a good decision or not! She was completely serious, LOL

Then she asked if I had read the card she had given me on Friday; embarrassed I said no (I hadn't opened it because I was too sad to read it), so I grabbed it as I was talking to her and opened it...what falls out? A large bonus check! I was speechless. I had been talking about a fountain for the back yard and she told me to use the check to buy it~and think of her girls when I look at it. Isn't that sweet?

If every family appreciated us like that, we wouldn't need venting threads. Honestly.
misol 12:24 PM 06-15-2010
Originally Posted by dcmom:
friday was the last day for one of my favorite, long time families (8 years). Long story short, they decided to pull the girls (5 & 8) out of dc for the summer and hired a high school girl. I was very sad and hurt at first, but they were going to leave in the fall anyway because of school so i just looked at it as leaving early. Why am i posting in the 'positive' thread?

Dcm called this morning just to tell me that she missed me already because she had went home at lunch time (today was the first day with the new arrangement) and her house was a complete and total disaster~she said she wasn't sure if this was a good decision or not! She was completely serious, lol

then she asked if i had read the card she had given me on friday; embarrassed i said no (i hadn't opened it because i was too sad to read it), so i grabbed it as i was talking to her and opened it...what falls out? A large bonus check! I was speechless. I had been talking about a fountain for the back yard and she told me to use the check to buy it~and think of her girls when i look at it. Isn't that sweet?

If every family appreciated us like that, we wouldn't need venting threads. Honestly.
totally awesome!!!!!
TGT09 01:44 PM 06-15-2010
Originally Posted by DCMom:
Friday was the last day for one of my favorite, long time families (8 years). Long story short, they decided to pull the girls (5 & 8) out of dc for the summer and hired a high school girl. I was very sad and hurt at first, but they were going to leave in the fall anyway because of school so I just looked at it as leaving early. Why am I posting in the 'positive' thread?

Dcm called this morning just to tell me that she missed me already because she had went home at lunch time (today was the first day with the new arrangement) and her house was a complete and total disaster~she said she wasn't sure if this was a good decision or not! She was completely serious, LOL

Then she asked if I had read the card she had given me on Friday; embarrassed I said no (I hadn't opened it because I was too sad to read it), so I grabbed it as I was talking to her and opened it...what falls out? A large bonus check! I was speechless. I had been talking about a fountain for the back yard and she told me to use the check to buy it~and think of her girls when I look at it. Isn't that sweet?

That is too freaking cute! What a nice parent!
professionalmom 03:06 PM 06-15-2010

I don't think I would be capable of talking for at least an hour - I would have been crying! I sure hope you got a letter of recommendation from her since it sounds like she would give you a glowing one.
Golden Rule 03:20 PM 06-16-2010
My 4yo dcg, without being asked, walked across the room to put a shoe back on a 18mth dcb whom reponded with "tank-chu". 4yo said "you are welcome" and helped him to stand up before returning to her puzzle table.

Now, this same boy would have rolled in circles yelling "no choos" for me . The same 4yo throws toys at her own brother at home....

Love it when they think I am not looking They crack me up!!!
fctjc1979 09:01 PM 06-16-2010
Had a great day with the daycare kids at the zoo today. I only have one family right now since I'm waiting until I have my baby to start adding more daycare kids. The family has three girls. I also had my two girls and two of my nieces. My mom and sister-on-law were there to help out. I'm so proud of the girls. There were no temper tantrums, melt downs, bad behavior, or lost kids. Everyone stayed together, was polite, and were interested in learning about the animals. My 11-year-old daughter helped keep track of all the kids without me asking her to do it. My eight-year-old niece volunteered to push one of the strollers when one of the little ones got tired (although we didn't actually let her push the stroller). The five-year-old dcg kept reminding everyone to be nice to the animals by not poking fingers in cages or banging on glass. The four-year-old dcg helped console one of the little ones when she fell down. The two-year-old dcg and two-year-old niece went all day without a nap without being grumpy about it. And my 15-month-old daughter was bubbly and smiley all day and was just amazed at all the animals. It was a great day and it reminded me why I enjoy what I do and allowed me to really appreciate the quality family that I help take care of. Just one of those warm and fuzzy days!
fctjc1979 09:04 PM 06-16-2010
Originally Posted by Golden Rule:
My 4yo dcg, without being asked, walked across the room to put a shoe back on a 18mth dcb whom reponded with "tank-chu". 4yo said "you are welcome" and helped him to stand up before returning to her puzzle table.

Now, this same boy would have rolled in circles yelling "no choos" for me . The same 4yo throws toys at her own brother at home....

Love it when they think I am not looking They crack me up!!!
I totally love catching kids in the act when they have no idea that I'm there. Whether they are behaving badly and get embarassed when they finally realized that I saw everything, or when they were being really silly and had no idea I saw them, or like you experienced today when they are extra nice to each other and you know that it wasn't to impress anybody. I love those moments.
sahm2three 09:11 PM 06-16-2010
The weather was great and we got to spend the better part of the day outside in the sprinkler and baby pool! Day went by fast! Woohoo!
misol 07:10 PM 06-17-2010
Today was the last day for my Thursday-only dcb. Liked him a lot. His mom volunteers at her older son's school for 2 hours each week and now that school is out, she doesn't need care anymore. Mom said that she would recommend me to anyone she knows is looking for care.

The good thing is that now I can fill that spot with a full-timer. Yay!
Pammie 07:44 PM 06-17-2010
I had 4 of my daycare "alumni" come back and spend the day with me today! All of these kids started with me when they were infants, grew up in my daycare and only left when they started school. But today I had a 9 year old, two 12-year olds and a 15 year old at daycare I had such a great time with these kids - they're really such awesome people, and the fact that they all wanted to be here, and spent the day "reminiscing" was simply priceless!!
momofboys 05:33 AM 06-18-2010
Originally Posted by Pammie:
I had 4 of my daycare "alumni" come back and spend the day with me today! All of these kids started with me when they were infants, grew up in my daycare and only left when they started school. But today I had a 9 year old, two 12-year olds and a 15 year old at daycare I had such a great time with these kids - they're really such awesome people, and the fact that they all wanted to be here, and spent the day "reminiscing" was simply priceless!!
Wow, that's quite a testimony for you that you must be an awesome provider. Yeah, Pammie!!!
tymaboy 06:07 AM 06-18-2010
So excited! We are picking up a hot tub today after work. I found it on CL for $250 but it does need work (comes with parts to fix) We also need to do some rewiring of the house & garage so it can handle the extra load. But we have the perfect spot for it so I dont have to worry about licensing having a fit about it with the DCKs.
AfterSchoolMom 12:18 PM 06-18-2010
I am DONE for the summer! Vacation time!
DCMom 10:41 AM 06-30-2010
I was really irritated this morning; it is our 'going to the park' day and my assistant (who has been on vacation all last week and two days this week) called in 'sick'. I may post something in the venting thread on that one....

Anyway, I decided to take the kids to the park by myself since it's not their fault and they look forward to it. I sat them down and told them that I needed absolutely their best behavior or we couldn't go to the park. They all agreed All nine of them (plus two babies).

They did awesome! They all played nicely together, no fighting etc. We were having a little snack, some water and preparing to go home when this grandma there with her granddaughter came up to me and complimented me AND the kids on how well behaved they were.

I'm just so proud of them~it makes up for the less than stellar day we had yesterday, lol!
sierrastreasures 11:10 AM 06-30-2010
Had to share because kids say the most humorous things. During lunch and after our "open them and shut them" song has been sung one of my most sweetest little angels pipes up. "I came out of my mommy's tummy when I was born and then she brought me home". Next I heard the little boy sitting next to her say in a loud voice "eww, did the doctor RIP your mommy's tummy to get you out? Then to top her story he promptly followed up the comment with "Well I came out of my mommy's tummy TEN TIMES!"
Janet 11:37 AM 06-30-2010
Kids say the funniest things! I like their bluntness! One of mine informed me that she only lived in her mommy's tummy, but she got out of her mommy's vagina! I was drinking at the time and I was so caught by surprise that my pop went up my nose and went out everywhere! I was laughing so hard that I had tears rolling down my cheeks. She then told me that her mommy didn't have her like her grandma's cow had her baby. Her mommy's doctor didn't pull her out with a rope like the mommy cow's baby!

Also, for the post about the kids being awesome at the park, WOOHOO!!!!!!!!! I love it when kids give me reason to trust them by making good choices! It opens so many doors as far as the kind of activities that you can do with them! I would be high-fiving and hugging and praising the crap out of the kids! I love the feeling of knowing that they can consciously make good choices!
sahm2three 04:32 PM 06-30-2010
My day ended early today! Yay! And we don't have 10 million places to run tonight so I get to relax with my family!!!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 10:14 AM 07-06-2010
Great news today!! I have an interview on Thursday for a new one to start mid august. This will replace my schooler who is here for the summer! Im full!!! absolutely positively FULL!!!!!
momofboys 10:49 AM 07-06-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
Great news today!! I have an interview on Thursday for a new one to start mid august. This will replace my schooler who is here for the summer! Im full!!! absolutely positively FULL!!!!!
Yay!!! KUP about the interview. Hope it goes well!

I just got a call about an infant who would start the middle of September. I really like the timing but I'm SOOOOOO nervous about the interview which is Wednesday evening. These are first time parents so I want them to like me. I think it would be a good fit. I keep getting calls about twins & I don't think I could handle that too well, but one infant would be perfect.
MarinaVanessa 11:03 AM 07-06-2010
Yay!!! KUP about the interview. Hope it goes well!

I just got a call about an infant who would start the middle of September. I really like the timing but I'm SOOOOOO nervous about the interview which is Wednesday evening. These are first time parents so I want them to like me. I think it would be a good fit. I keep getting calls about twins & I don't think I could handle that too well, but one infant would be perfect.
Yay. I have one opening left for 2+ (my last one also) and I got a call Monday and also have an interview at 11am on Wednesday. He's 3 which is great and already potty trained so I hope he likes our group and I hope I like him and his mom. He's the only older boy (the other two are 11mo and 7mo now and the 10 yo I watch is now only part-time Wed-Thurs) so I hope he likes my daughter 5 and the DCG 3. Looks like us 3 ladies have had a good week!
misol 11:07 AM 07-06-2010
My youngest dcb turned 1 today! Yay! We are having a little party after nap. I am on the food program so the BEST part is that I don't have to do a separate infant menu for him anymore Yipee!!!!!
momofboys 04:44 AM 07-08-2010
Good luck today!
momofboys 04:44 AM 07-08-2010
Yay. I have one opening left for 2+ (my last one also) and I got a call Monday and also have an interview at 11am on Wednesday. He's 3 which is great and already potty trained so I hope he likes our group and I hope I like him and his mom. He's the only older boy (the other two are 11mo and 7mo now and the 10 yo I watch is now only part-time Wed-Thurs) so I hope he likes my daughter 5 and the DCG 3. Looks like us 3 ladies have had a good week!
How did the interview go?
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 09:27 AM 07-09-2010
Good luck today!
Im not getting a good vibe,... no real reason,.. but Im just not getting a good vibe. So Im not taking them.
MarinaVanessa 12:54 PM 07-09-2010
How did the interview go?
Lol I guess we both have bad luck. Mine didn't show up. The extra income would have been nice but I don't need it so I didn't bother to call to check why they didn't come. The way I see it is if you can't show up or even have the courtesy to call to cancel or reschedule then it already shows that I may problems with them later. Not a good first impression at all.
Childminder 01:50 PM 07-09-2010
Dcb who is usually at the center of trouble when it happens said while playing with three other boys; "We better not do that cause it's wrong and we might get in trouble." Gotta love him. He's usually the one jumping off the tops of slides or something.
momofboys 05:18 PM 07-09-2010
Lol I guess we both have bad luck. Mine didn't show up. The extra income would have been nice but I don't need it so I didn't bother to call to check why they didn't come. The way I see it is if you can't show up or even have the courtesy to call to cancel or reschedule then it already shows that I may problems with them later. Not a good first impression at all.
Sorry! I wouldn't reschedule either, it's not a good sign that they did not show.
My interview went well (or I thought it did) but now I am waiting to hear back as to if they want me. I hope so, they seemed to be a good fit & the hours they want are really good but they are first-time parents so I think they may be ultra-picky & may not have liked that I said I will drive my kids to school part of the time (I live 1 mile from the school).
momofboys 05:18 PM 07-09-2010
Im not getting a good vibe,... no real reason,.. but Im just not getting a good vibe. So Im not taking them.
You have that feeling for a reason, go with it!
SarahLL 08:06 PM 07-11-2010
I took my kids camping this weekend with my new boyfriend. This was our first camping trip together and we had a blast.
sahm2three 04:26 PM 07-14-2010
but today was a great, stress free day!! Why do I feel bad saying it? Because ODD dcb ended up going home sick at 8:30 this morning and it was so peaceful! Everyone got along, everyone had fun! It was fantastic! This is how I imagined my daycare would be! I hate to say it but I think I need to let the family go. I love the kids so much, but I got a taste of how it should be!
MarinaVanessa 07:51 AM 07-15-2010
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
but today was a great, stress free day!! Why do I feel bad saying it? Because ODD dcb ended up going home sick at 8:30 this morning and it was so peaceful! Everyone got along, everyone had fun! It was fantastic! This is how I imagined my daycare would be! I hate to say it but I think I need to let the family go. I love the kids so much, but I got a taste of how it should be!
And in the end it's your choice and either way whatever you final decision is the fact that you at least tried to make it work should be a comfort. I'm losing 2 kiddos (siblings) but it's been hard for me to feel really bad even though I'll now have 3 openings because the baby was a hip baby and everytime I walked away from him the further and further I got the louder he got lol. And his 3yo sister would cry everyday her mom would leave but what did we expect? Mom kept coming back and coddling her (sometimes 2 or 3 times) even after I asked her not to stay longer than a few minutes. They are only here 3 days a week so Wednesday & Thursday are so relaxing and I hear no screaming, crying or yelling YAY! 5 days a week of this is awsome!!
tymaboy 09:09 AM 07-16-2010
I HATE days after DCG spends previous day with grandma!!

Oops sorry this belongs in the vent thread today but at the same time it could go here. Like on days that she is not here.
Lilbutterflie 12:10 PM 07-16-2010
Today we've had very few arguments... they are all using their words!!! All of that drilling is finally paying off! "Can you move over and make room for me please?" Or "Can we trade toys please?" YES!!!! I love it!
TGT09 05:43 PM 07-19-2010
I interviewed for a newborn that will start in January of 2011 last week. A few days later I got a thank you card....basically thanking me for taking time out of my day to meet with them. I was pretty blown away by that and would love to have parents like that through my daycare. Fortunate for me, they have chosen me and will be signing my contract next week.
tmcp2001 11:04 AM 07-22-2010
We've had a really nice day today! It's kind of icky out (not raining yet, but just dreary) so we made cookies! A pan of chocolate chip cooky bars and 3 dozen snickerdoodles. The kids were really helpful (all 8 of them!) and everyone is looking forward to cookies for snack time - that's a HUGE treat around here! Plus, all 6 little ones are napping AND my sister-in-law took my older kids for the afternoon! Ahh...
tymaboy 12:21 PM 07-22-2010
DCM called this morning to see if DCG could come this morning. DCG only asked cuz she knew that DCG is my only child till Aug (DCB on vac) I said not a problem. About 15 minutes ahe calls again she just puked her bottle can you watch her until Grandma picks her up in about an hour? Not a problem, DCG got here at 7:15 went to bed & slept till 8:30 when grandma got here. Tomorow they had off so my weekend started at 8:30 this morning.
tymaboy 03:56 PM 07-22-2010
It must be that time of year again. I dont know if any of you have noticed in the past that there are times when you get quite a few calls for child care & then you go months without a call. This week I have gotten 3-4 calls from people & I have not been advertising. DCD of the sick DCG came to pay me today & he said that he is working with a guy that has twins that need care & told him about me. I gave DCD a magnet to give him. Every call I get I direct them to my site. Some parents do not like my policy so it is my way of weeding people out. When of the people called me back & we set up an interview for tomorow. She loves the fact that I have animals - had a few people say no thanks cuz of them or want me to keep them seperate from the kids. I'm not real sure about the family though. She has 2 kids 2 1/2 & a 3 month old. 21/2 would start part time 3-4 days a week for only about 4 hours. Then in Jan. she would start the baby. She that it may be full time at that time. She also does not have a problem paying the holding fee from now till Jan. From what it sounds it all sounds very good but at the same time when she left a message the 1st time she called I just got that feeling that said maybe trouble. I dont know why I just did. But I am excited to have an interview & possibly hearing about the twins. I am in no hurry to fill my spots right now but will want to when school starts. I have really enjoyed only having 2 kids during the summer. Being low on numbers give us alot of freedom to get out & do things that we normally dont do with 3 (not enough car seats) or more kids.
misol 11:25 AM 07-23-2010
It's Friday and I am on vacation all of next week! Yippee!!!!

Have a great weekend everyone.
ninosqueridos 01:28 PM 07-30-2010
I came to realize today that all of my super-active toddlers are all adjusting GREAT to having the new 5 month old dcb here. It's been a month, and they are all sweet and gentle with him, and they bring him only "his" toys to play with - yay!!!
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 02:20 PM 07-30-2010
WHOOO HOOOOO Im on vacation!!!!! See y'all in 9 days!!!!
Jenjo 07:27 AM 08-02-2010
Yay I am getting the day off to spend with my family! So happy!
tymaboy 09:15 AM 08-02-2010
This morning DCB came back from Vacation (Hawaii) He has been gone for 2 weeks. I missed him when he was gone so this morning while DCG was sleeping we sat in the rocker & snuggled for about an hour- just the 2 of us.
momofboys 05:15 AM 08-03-2010
I decided to do what someone else on here has done (Iowa, is it you?) & call some aquaintances I know who do daycare to try to form a back-up system or at least a system to talk about problems & how to resolve situations, etc. I called a woman from my church who I know does daycare & although we have not talked much at church we talked on the phone for over an hour (neither of us was providing care at the time, lol, she was on vacation & I just had my own children). So I feel great about making that step so I don't feel so isolated (which I do at times). Anyway, the funny part was we talked about our families that we care for briefly & she mentioned the new clients she interviewed & I knew in a heartbeat that it was the family I teminated. At first I hesitated to say anything but then I thought about how I would have wanted advance warning if I knew the parents would be problematic so I spilled most of the beans to her. The funny thing was this woman said she had crystal-clear & strict policies & the mom asked if she would really have to pay whether her child/ren were there or not (she always tried to get out of it with me or ask me to let her pay 1/2 rate, I am a bit more lenient with my policies). The kicker was she told the mom she'd have to talk it over w/hubby before she signed on b/c "hubby won't like paying when we aren't there". That was the line she always used on me, she'd say I will pay you for our sick day but I won't let hubby know as he'd throw an absolute fit. (it was in my contract BTW!) I'm glad I was able to clue this provider in on this family
JenNJ 05:20 AM 08-03-2010
That is great that you let her know about the issues with payment.
tmcp2001 05:48 AM 08-03-2010
Today's positive??? NO daycare kids!!! AND, my own four are going to a waterpark with my MIL and spending the night at her house! I won't even know what to do with myself! I haven't had a day completely alone in years, lol!!!
momofboys 05:57 AM 08-03-2010
Today's positive??? NO daycare kids!!! AND, my own four are going to a waterpark with my MIL and spending the night at her house! I won't even know what to do with myself! I haven't had a day completely alone in years, lol!!!
Enjoy!!!!
tymaboy 07:30 AM 08-03-2010
tmcp2001- Enjoy every minute of it!!
DCMom 10:12 AM 08-05-2010
Six (count them six!) kids stayed home today with their parent who had taken the day off. Another one just got picked up early. I had to laugh about it because I have been following the other thread about dcp's who bring the kiddo's to dc when off work; I guess they aren't ALL bad

Added bonus: I am off tomorrow, so it is almost like a four day weekend!
tmcp2001 10:29 AM 08-05-2010
Six (count them six!) kids stayed home today with their parent who had taken the day off. Another one just got picked up early. I had to laugh about it because I have been following the other thread about dcp's who bring the kiddo's to dc when off work; I guess they aren't ALL bad

Added bonus: I am off tomorrow, so it is almost like a four day weekend!
That's awesome! Kinda restores your faith in humanity when people do something so nice and unexpected! Enjoy your "almost" 4 day weekend!
tmcp2001 10:32 AM 08-05-2010
*Doing the happy dance* My licensor called today to let me know that the variance I requested for this fall has been approved!!! Two days/week Sept-Dec I will be over my under SA capacity by one child and I was afraid that I would lose a family if I couldn't provide care (it's due to a schedule change, not a new family). SO HAPPY! No more stressing about losing families this fall!
DCMom 10:42 AM 08-05-2010
*Doing the happy dance* My licensor called today to let me know that the variance I requested for this fall has been approved!!! Two days/week Sept-Dec I will be over my under SA capacity by one child and I was afraid that I would lose a family if I couldn't provide care (it's due to a schedule change, not a new family). SO HAPPY! No more stressing about losing families this fall!

I knew you would It's a weight off, isn't it? Congratulations!
MarinaVanessa 12:45 PM 08-05-2010
My finace is still on vacation but has been "home" instead of going on his lake trip after his Vegas trip so he's actually getting some de-stressing done. He's been going to his buddy's bike shop and working on his motorcycle and I'm glad that he's doing something fun instead of working. He's in a good mood which means I'm in a good mood.

Today he took my daughter and my 2 drop-ins (which also happen to be his nephews) to the movies so I am enjoying a nice and quiet day. Aaaaah.
Crystal 01:01 PM 08-05-2010
MarinaVanessa, how is the pregnancy going? I hope you're feeling great and that the baby is doing well!
Tags:fun stuff, great news, happy, positive, tgif
1 2 3 4 12  ... Last
Reply Up