Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just Wondering What You Would Do?
Kim's Kids 10:42 AM 11-15-2011
Hello, I was just wondering what do you do when you have a 2yr old who is starting to cry and asking for his parents? and after many succesful redirections the child now wants to stand in the window and wait Also what does your day with a 2yr old consist of schedule wise? Thanks in advance for all replies.

Kim
caligirl 10:46 AM 11-15-2011
Are there other kids his age or older there for him to play with??

Mine are really busy. We do 'preschool' for 90 min in the morning.... outside play for another hour...... I have a lot of toys that I rotate out each week so they don't ever get tired of the same toys.... They are very, very busy all day. Right now I have two 2-yr-olds and a 3 yr old (and 3 infants) so the big kids are busy busy busy
Kim's Kids 10:52 AM 11-15-2011
Right now he is the only kiddo, but I have arranged to take him to the library and the indoor park to play with other kids. Today was his first day so I expected him to act this way. How long does it usually take for kids of that age to become adjusted to the drop off and pick up routine, I know some kids will cry at daycare everyday I guess it depends on the kids and the daycare provider. Thanks for your reply.
daycare 10:58 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by Kim's Kids:
Right now he is the only kiddo, but I have arranged to take him to the library and the indoor park to play with other kids. Today was his first day so I expected him to act this way. How long does it usually take for kids of that age to become adjusted to the drop off and pick up routine, I know some kids will cry at daycare everyday I guess it depends on the kids and the daycare provider. Thanks for your reply.
what is his schedule?
Also do you have any kids of your own for him to play and socialize with
caligirl 11:26 AM 11-15-2011
Originally Posted by Kim's Kids:
Well, it's hard to say how long. Some never cry to go home, others cry for quite a while, then some for just the first week or two until they get into the routine.... but having other children for him to play with and keeping him busy will help
SimpleMom 11:38 AM 11-15-2011
Give it a couple of weeks. It'll take awhile for him to get used to the change. Start offering ideas for him to play. Even if it's a t.v. show for the drop-off and some cuddle time. Then, slowing wean off the t.v. show. I had one that would get real upset at the transition from drop off and pick ups. I just made sure to tap into what he enjoyed and have that ready at drop off.
We have a pretty tight schedule as well most days. That helps. Reading books is always good, something special just for drop offs. Sometimes just a "hey lets go see the birds!" with a lot of excitement will work.
I think the library trips and such will help, esp. if he's the only kiddo.
Poor little guy, hope it gets better soon!
Kim's Kids 09:19 AM 11-16-2011
Thanks everyone for your replies my crafts and ideas worked! This is such a great kid what a pleasure to have. And he didn't want to leave so good signs Yay!!
Tags:curriculum - age appropriate, curriculum - play based, training
Reply Up